Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#56784 - 12/27/05 02:51 AM Looking for info on wilderness survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im Josh, and Im interested in being a missionary. I was curious where I could find info (preferably a book) on survival, not in the sense of in a emergency situation, but in the sense of surviving in the wilderness with the intention to be there. I would like to know natural growing edible plants, skills for wilderness living, and anything else in this genre. If it is neccesary to be region specific, I am looking for north and south american area info. If someone could point me in the right direction for research, I'd greatly appreciate it.

#56785 - 12/27/05 06:09 AM Re: Looking for info on wilderness survival
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Wow.

You realise that there are almost as many books on survival as there are books on cooking or weight loss? Where were you thinking, and what is your existing knowledge level?

Edited by ironraven (12/27/05 06:15 AM)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#56786 - 12/27/05 07:36 AM Re: Looking for info on wilderness survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey man. That's awesome your thinking about the mission field in South America. Me and my buddy were thinking about doing the same thing and possibly taking steps to start that this summer. I'd like to talk to you about it. Maybe we can trade survival ideas. The Amazon is no joke to say the least. Countless lives have been lost, etc etc. My AIM name is StealthBlueNinja. Yahoo is spellfiresilver - msn/email = moosemekanik@lycos.com

Hit me up bro.

#56787 - 12/27/05 03:36 PM Re: Looking for info on wilderness survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah... but i just kind of wanted some direction on something that was about living in the wilderness as opposed to being stranded in an emergency situation. I dont have much knowledge at all, but I would like to learn about edible plants, trapping, natural medicine, and whatever else would be beneficial for living in the wild. As for location, southeastern usa (or anywhere else in the us), canada, and central america.

Edited by a_consuming_fire (12/27/05 03:55 PM)

#56788 - 12/27/05 07:02 PM Re: Looking for info on wilderness survival
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Josh, Please don't take my words wrong. Missionary work is always seen as GIVING people something. The cultural reality is we take things away and don't always replace them in kind. You might recall Harrison Ford trying to bring ice to the Amazon. Rather than some tome on birdtraps, why not take a few general classes in anthropology so you understand the dymanics of your endeavor. Your best instructors will be the people. It seems to me a Yanamamo would be a better missionary for your conversion to survival expert. At least they would have been, many first nations are being destroyed by mining, timber, cattle and farming ( including narcotics) interests faster than a burning rainforest.

#56789 - 12/27/05 07:07 PM Re: Looking for info on wilderness survival
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
There are two that I know of......I have the first. It is called Naked into the Wilderness. The second book is the 'other half'. It may be NITW 2 or something like that. From the first book I have learned lot. They have learned by trial and error. It is a great place to get info.

#56790 - 12/27/05 07:30 PM Re: Looking for info on wilderness survival
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
You might also want to check out the foxfire series of books. This is all about old Appalachian Mountain homesteading and such, really good info for most of central North America. I found Foxfire one, two and three especially captivating and informative.

#56791 - 12/27/05 07:48 PM Re: Looking for info on wilderness survival
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
In a similar vein, you might want to look into the Buckskinning community. They are a group of epople who do events based on life in the eary 1800s. All of their items have to be authentic, including hand sewn clothes, and period correct cooking. Although they drive to the events, and are allowed ot have ice on hand, you can get a lot of "live off the land" information for how they do things. One frind of mine even brain tans his own deerskin to make into clothing.

#56792 - 12/27/05 07:51 PM Re: Looking for info on wilderness survival
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Although I cannot point you to a particular text, perhaps a book on how the area natives lived prior to Europeans arriving. Or, perhaps a book about how the early Europeans survived and settled in the area without all of the nifty gear that we have now.

You might also find some answers in a living history museum.

I hope that you will be able to post some updates once you arrive and see things for yourself.

#56793 - 12/27/05 07:54 PM Re: Looking for info on wilderness survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

I definetly agree that there is not enough giving. My interest in trapping and such is really more for in the Us and Canada, wanting to spend time as a contemporary mountain man. As for in Central America, specifically Guatemala, I would definitely love to go and live there and meet people i could learn from while evangelizing and discipling. Thanks for the criticism.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.