The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5673 - 04/22/02 06:55 PM Wrenches of Reality
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Seems like it's getting more difficult to get back in the groove at work - maybe my brain is fossilizing...? Got back late yesterday from a weekend out with the Venturing Crew (awesome nasty weather, those who stayed inside would say - we liked it). Today my brain is in slow motion at work... hard to come back into the office. Maybe delayed cabin fever - nah - winter is my favorite outdoor time anyway. Anyone else? Can't say I ever noticed it this bad before...<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#5674 - 04/22/02 09:50 PM Re: Wrenches of Reality
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Tom,<br><br><br>You're getting old. Get used to it. It beats the alternative. TIC :)<br><br>Andy

#5675 - 04/22/02 10:07 PM Re: Wrenches of Reality
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Andy - Being outdoors with the kids, er, "young people", seems more important than what I'm doing :-( At least, I'm certain I enjoy that more...<br><br>As for the rest of your remarks - saddle up, whippersnapper. Let's see if you can hang with this old guy for a few weeks <grin> (sure would be nice to take that much time out...)<br><br>Old Tom

#5676 - 04/23/02 12:03 AM Re: Wrenches of Reality
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Tom,<br><br>Whippersnapper? Been a long time since someone called me that. Who was it? My grandfather? Great-grandfather? :)<br><br>But, like I said sir, getting older beats the heck out of the alternative.<br><br>As for saddling up, and hanging with you...sounds like fun (there's no shame in being outdone by an old-timer BTDT--my father is a few years older than you, and he keeps going and going going...I can't keep up with him), but like yourself, I don't have the time. Pity.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#5677 - 04/23/02 12:17 AM Re: Wrenches of Reality
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Some thoughts:<br><br>1. That's why it's called work.<br><br>2. That's why your're paid to do it.<br><br>3. That's why you don't do it if you're not paid for it.<br><br>4. That's why Scouter's are paid what they are.<br><br>5. Almost anything is more fun than working.<br><br>6. At times like these, you just have to suck it up & do the job, take the money, & go home. (Rough paraphrase of late actor Arthur Treacher, sidekick of Merv Griffin)<br><br>Gentlemen, you may fire when ready.<br><br>John

#5678 - 04/23/02 01:51 AM Re: Wrenches of Reality
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Andy - Yeah, about the best I can spare this year is a week or so in the mountains... as for keeping up, I was kidding - forget it - takes too long to rid me of the dings now - "cost" of doing what I can do goes up (slowly). Desk job doesn't help (mood or otherwise).<br><br>Had a blast this past weekend anyway - I *think* I can at last slip out of the "carry some extra stuff in case __________ forgets xyz" mode. These kids are going to do just fine. What a diverse collection of gear! A universal shortcoming seems to be packable stoves - not a problem this past weekend; we were in an area with designated fire "rings" (and that's all - no grills or stuff - just a place) and they know how to manage with wood fires. But some future trips will press the issue - I have a number of ideas for them to explore - all simple and cheap (most could go buy a stove, but...)<br><br>Ahhh... looking forward to next weekend already - another opportunity to be outdoors with like-minded folks, although it will be to facilitate on a ropes course.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom<br><br>

#5679 - 04/23/02 02:42 AM Re: Wrenches of Reality
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're probably already aware of it, but just in case:<br><br>http://wings.interfree.it/html/main.html<br><br>I wouldn't be surprised if I got this link from someone's posting on this list; if so, forgive the lack of credit. Interesting approaches to the stove issue. I haven't tried them myself, but I'm glad to see this sort of innovation going on.<br>

#5680 - 04/23/02 01:57 PM Re: Wrenches of Reality
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Yes, that's one source of information I am thinking of. There are few others generally along the same lines (with some duplication) and there are yet other approaches... some of which are strictly in my mind at this point (hope they don't get trapped there, LoL) Thanks. BTW, did you know he(she?) links to ETS? Go figure...

Edited by AyersTG (04/23/02 01:59 PM)

#5681 - 04/23/02 03:27 PM Re: Wrenches of Reality
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I made the Don "Photon" Johnson" stove that's linked from that site. I have to make the wid break and field test it though. I'm actually excited about doing that soon.<br><br>I used a threaded T-nut, without prongs, and an allen screw instead of the machine screw listed. The allen screw has a big knarled head, which I figured would be easier for me to use. I used J-B Weld Maximum to mount the T-nut to the stove.

#5682 - 04/23/02 11:37 PM Re: Wrenches of Reality
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Made the same stove, works well and is easy to fabricate. I used a 3/16 pop rivet and carefully punched the pin out and tapped for the screw, also used high temp silicone (red) instead of JB weld.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.