Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#134495 - 06/02/08 01:19 PM Re: psychological barriers [Re: wildman800]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I have a very strong will to survive, but there are boundaries that I won't go past. Cannabalism IS one of those few barriers.

I believe what it boils down to is everyone has their own "rules," for a lack of better wording, for how far they will go to survive. What caused me to look for this thread was someone mentioning TEOTWAWKI. If that alone were to happen, I believe I could survive because I have three reasons to survive: My mom and my sisters. If I were in a situation as Benjamin described, and my reasons to survive were among the dead, G-d may as well take me out.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134504 - 06/02/08 02:30 PM Re: psychological barriers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Bbenjammin makes so many good points in his past posts.

I also agree that skinning a live animal is barbaric and not necessary. I've been hunting for many years and my dad always taught me to respect the animals I was hunting. You don't want them to suffer needlessly.

Lobster... well... that is another story... How many people would/would not be able to drop a live lobster in a boiling pot of water?

I really think that in a survival situation, you dig really far down and do things that you wouldn't normally think you could. What would you do to keep yourself alive for your children, family, friends, what-have-you.

If I was with my family in a survival situation and something happened to them and they died, what would I do... Well, eating them wouldn't be my first choice, that is for sure. Obviously you would try to source food in other ways. In the most extreme conditions, no food available, it has been a LONG time since I had anything to eat, possibly I would turn to cannibalism... It really would go down to your core beliefs at this point:

1) Do I no longer have the will to survive since my loved ones are gone.

2) Would my loved ones want me to survive and go on?

Hard questions indeed.

As far as killing other animals, that seems a cake walk compared to the above.

As they say, survival is definitely a state of mind... You either want to survive, or you do not. There is no middle ground.

#134511 - 06/02/08 03:10 PM Re: psychological barriers [Re: Mike_H]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
I really think that in a survival situation, you dig really far down and do things that you wouldn't normally think you could. What would you do to keep yourself alive for your children, family, friends, what-have-you.

That is my point. While my sisters and I have stood together in hard times, those bad times were nowhere near as horrible as what the Donner Party went through. While I might be able to survive a Donner Party incident, I would not do it alone nor would I do it for myself. I would survive for and with my sisters or I would not survive at all.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134513 - 06/02/08 03:18 PM Re: psychological barriers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I find that to be a poor survival instinct. (Edited out) People die, life goes on. Consider that without memories of your sisters they will truly be gone.

That was harsh, my apologies.

Edited by Russ (06/02/08 04:00 PM)

#134516 - 06/02/08 03:33 PM Re: psychological barriers [Re: Russ]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Russ
I find that to be a poor survival instinct. Do you find yourself so low on the self-worth scale that your existence is meaningless without your sisters?

I think that statement is a bit harsh... Look at the documented cases where, in long time married couples, where one dies, the other dies shortly afterwards. This isn't something to just be cast aside, it is a real struggle for people.

However, unless actually placed in a survival situation, you can't be sure how you will react.

The next obvious question would be: Jeanette, if in a non-survival situation, if your sisters got sick and passed away, what would you do? (Please, no harsh tones implied here at all...) I know that I was seriously hurt and affected by the death of my father when I was 17. It was, by no means, easy. Yet I pulled myself together to continue on.

It is all mindset, esp. in survival... Surviving applies to day to day life as well as many other posters have mentioned in the various threads. Surviving is living in this crazy world on a daily basis, be it buckling your seatbelt to help survive a crash, to washing your hands to help avoid spreading germs.

Edited by Mike_H (06/02/08 03:37 PM)

#134517 - 06/02/08 03:39 PM Re: psychological barriers [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
I find that to be a poor survival instinct. Do you find yourself so low on the self-worth scale that your existence is meaningless without your sisters? People die, life goes on. Consider that without memories of your sisters they will truly be gone.

We already lost our dad and Mom couldn't be there for us so all we had were each other. So yes, without them, there is not much of a point.

Are you familiar with the movie, Grave of the Fireflies? When Seita lost everyone in his life, his mom, his sister, his dad, he lost the will to live and he too died.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134519 - 06/02/08 03:51 PM Re: psychological barriers [Re: Mike_H]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
The next obvious question would be: Jeanette, if in a non-survival situation, if your sisters got sick and passed away, what would you do? (Please, no harsh tones implied here at all...) I know that I was seriously hurt and affected by the death of my father when I was 17. It was, by no means, easy. Yet I pulled myself together to continue on.

Assuming Mom was still alive, I would have her, Aunt Elizabeth, Uncle David, my cousins, congregation and friends. It's my sisters who have been my anchor.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.