Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#5623 - 04/20/02 08:28 PM tips for low-budget gear
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
Hello<br><br>I'm a new user to this forum. I'v seen that you mostly talk about high-tech expensive gear. Well, I'm certainly not the one who could spend 2-month payment for a PSK and this stuff is very expensive in my country (even American prices are too high for me and in Poland its about twice as expensive due to taxes, shipping, etc.). Any tips what should I put in my PSK? I will mostly use it in urban environment and - from time to time - for sailing. We don't have earthquakes or tornados in Poland, the climate is moderate (so I don't have to worry about sunlight nor hypothermia - at least not in the city). My don't-leave-home-without list contains only a cell-phone, small red LED flashlight attached to my keyring and CS-spray, but most of the time I also carry these things in the pocket of my backpack:<br>- straight-edge fixed-blade knife (made by Esparcia) - about 5 inch, much too big for my needs but I don't have anything else<br>- 2 screwdrivers (one small for my glasses, one bigger for electronic equipment)<br>- duct tape<br>- a trash bag or two (I find them very useful)<br>- cheap 2 AA-cell flashlight<br>- disposable cigarette lighter.<br>- some cord (not parachute military-grade, but works for me...)<br>- some paper and a pen<br><br>I don't have a first-aid kit - it will be assembled for me by a physician, so please don't cover it in your tips.<br><br>I'm thinking about replacing my knife and tools with Leatherman Wave - it's expensive, but it seems very useful. Good idea or is there a better way to spend 60$?<br><br>Thanks in advance for all the tips and remember - keep them low-budget smile

#5624 - 04/20/02 09:45 PM Re: tips for low-budget gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome, zoltan,<br><br>We do tend to indulge ourselves a bit on cost, but, as you point out, things are cheaper here, especially relative to the cost of living and most incomes. However, there’s no need to spend a great deal on survival equipment- the basics are available almost anywhere, and should not be expensive.<br><br>I think the needs for an “urban” kit and a “sailing” kit are very different. Looking at your list, for sailing I would quickly add a whistle and a small mirror, both for emergency signaling. I would prefer a small, loud whistle, preferably one without a “pea”, as those sometimes have problems when soaked. Any small mirror will do, it does not have to be one made for signaling, but if it is glass, you must protect it from breaking and protect the back from scratching- duct tape should do well. You might also consider a small compass. I would not want to be on the water without at least that much.<br><br>I would also add needles and strong thread. They cost almost nothing, they weigh almost nothing, but they can keep some inconveniences from becoming emergencies.<br><br>I have not used Esparcia knives, but I gather they are Spanish. I think anywhere in the world you can find knives used in rural areas that are inexpensive and good. Many of the knives marketed in the US that are much more expensive may be a little more convenient to open, and might resist rust more, but they may not sharpen as well or hold an edge as well as simpler knives from other countries. I’m sure there are many fine knives made in Poland and Eastern Europe.<br><br>I own and carry a Leatherman Wave. It is a good piece of equipment, but it is expensive and also quite heavy. I would not hurry to buy one, and be sure that you are prepared to carry that much weight before purchasing it. Most of us find them too heavy to carry comfortably in a trousers pocket. <br><br>I’m sure the others here will have many good suggestions.<br><br>You are to be congratulated- your written English seems excellent.<br>

#5625 - 04/20/02 10:30 PM Re: tips for low-budget gear
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Zoltan,<br><br>I agree with everything said by PresumedLost. <br><br>We do tend to be a little gear happy, but considering what the gear will be used for (saving our lives in an emergency) most of us pay, and pay happily. Much of the cost comes from the convience of certain items (smaller, lighter, faster, sharper, etc....), but if those qualities are not as critical to you, you can certainly get by with less expensive gear. Please let us know how things work out, you may be able to provide a test case for a recent discussion on improvisation abilities. Also, many good (and some which are a little iffy) low cost ideas can be found on Ranger Rick's site. <br><br>Good luck and take care. Don't worry about your English, yours is better than the English of many native speakers I know, and certainly better than my Polish.<br><br>Andy

#5626 - 04/21/02 01:33 AM Re: tips for low-budget gear
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Zoltan,<br><br>Welcome to the forum. Your English is fine. Don't apologize for it. Besides you are fluent in at least 1 more language than most of us.<br><br>We are prone to getting a lot of equipment & it can become expensive. But it is all useful. And don't forget: the only difference between men & boys is the price of their toys.<br><br>I like Leatherman tools a lot. The Wave has the best ergonomics. It can also adequately substitute for a pocket knife. As a small tool kit, the older & much cheaper Supertool is much better for my purposes. I have both. The Supertool pliers can be opened wider: 23 vs. 27 mm. at the inner, wide, concave section of the jaws. I have found it more useful for work relating to plumbing (e.g., faucet cap, Coleman fuel cap). The Supertool also includes an awl, crimper, and ruler 21 cm. long, and slightly longer screwdriver blades & handle. The Wave has knife blades which can be opened with 1 hand, scissors, & 1 more flat screwdriver blade than the Supertool. The Supertool is about 1 ounce heaver than the Wave, and both are a little heavy for pocket carry. My comments are based on my older, original model of the Supertool, not the newer version which I do not have. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd go for the Supertool. The Supertool is nominally priced about 3/4 the price of a wave. Sometimes, they sell for a lot less than that. Note, however, that I have given both my older son & wife the Wave as presents. I normally carry a Victorinox Huntsman pocket knife which has scissors. Their pocket knives do not have scissors. You may find a much better deal on a Supertool than a Wave. Alternatively, the Victorinox multitool was considered favorably by Doug Ritter in his review this website. Conceivably importing into Poland from Switzerland might be cheaper than from the USA.<br><br>When I took my sons shooting earlier this afternoon, they used our gun club's target rifles. In helping the boys evaluate the targets for zeroing the sights, I missed the ruler on my Supertool since I had only a Wave. I normally leave my Supertool in BOB, & carry the Wave, except on outdoor trips. One nice thing about using the gun club's equipment is I don't need to carry or clean ours. :-) And the boys get to learn cleaning on the club's guns rather than ours. :-))<br><br>Good luck, <br><br>John

#5627 - 04/21/02 01:46 AM Re: tips for low-budget gear
peanut Offline
Journeyman

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. <br><br>First, your English is just fine and much better than a lot of Americans or even English for that matter.<br><br>As far as kit goes, here are some helpful items that are inexpensive. <br><br>Signaling: For every environment, a good whistle is cheap and invaluable. They attract a lot of attention, especially in a city. For marine, a signal mirror is a must. But don't worry too much about cost, many here use a polished interior of an Altoids candy tin lid. So for a modest sum, and with with a minimum of effort, you can have a makeshift signal mirror, and get candy in the bargain. You can't beat that.<br><br>Emergency Devices: The best knife is the one you have on your person when needed. You shouldn't count on always having your pack with you. A good folding multi-purpose knife need not break your budget, and some things are less expensive in Europe than in USA. The Victorinox Swiss Army Knives for example. I know of someone in Warszawa who deals in them, I'll send you a private message with some contact information. And I'll second the idea of a disposable butane lighter like a Mini-Bic. Cheap, available, and relatively reliable.<br><br>Shelter: You're on the right track, a couple of thick trash bags are cheap and useful.<br><br>Medical: Have you MD friend help, but you might want to have him read http://www.avweb.com/articles/medikit/ It's full of good ideas.<br><br>Miscellaneous: Dental floss is cheap an has many uses, a small tube of "Superglue" comes in very handy. A bandana or handkerchief can be invaluable.<br><br>Sources: If you're careful, Ebay can be a good source. Military surplus shops can also help out a lot. With Poland converting to western type equipment, hopefully eastern bloc gear will be plentiful, and some will be quite serviceable. And members of the forum could be a big help. Many of us have older knives that we no longer use, maybe someone would be willing to sell one at a modest price. I've never seen anyone do a post wanting to buy used equipment, but it might work. Ask Chris Kavanaugh first.<br><br>Best of luck and happy (bargain) hunting.<br><br>Peanut<br><br><br>

#5628 - 04/21/02 01:57 AM Re: tips for low-budget gear
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Casual posts seeking or offering equipment are fine if A. the seller is just a private individual with a few items B. Someone like Barry who is a merchant but only makes a post in reply to equipment inquiries C. you understand it is a private affair and Equipped is not involved legally, monetarily, spiritually etc. Anyone who uses the boards as a convenient advertising medium for profit are unwelcome. Please use the campfire forum and/or private messages. If you do deal, remember shipping can be slow, so communicate,communicate,comunicate! ( Barry, Im sending a M.O. end of next week ;O) )

#5629 - 04/21/02 04:22 AM Re: tips for low-budget gear
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Zoltan, There is nothing wrong with simple, homemade or used gear. Hi tech gear is merely the latest version of the same tools people have used for a long time. The bronze dagger was once "hi tech" to a man with a stone knife. A man with a box of wooden matches and a simple knife is far better than a man empty handed. With the proper training that man will likely survive as well as another with the latest lighter and custom knife. You may want to consider posting your email, or sending it by private message for more help offsite.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 389 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.