Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#55814 - 12/13/05 02:08 PM Re: Opinions on Kenwood TH-F6A?
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Quote:
I'm surprised to find the F6 has been around almost 4 years and the other comparable units are about as old. Mfgrs aren't introducing radios like this any more. I wonder what's up with that. And I have to say the reviews linked above aren't all that flattering. Is 222 mhz very active in most places? Buying a tribander hadn't really occurred to me before (I just wanted 2m/440). Does the F6 have a way to send DTMF tones? Does anyone care about that any more?

DTMF is there. There are even DTMF memories. Check out the Kenwood web site and download the users manual. In fact, if you are also considering a Yaesu, download the manual for that one too. Read both of them to get an idea for how they work.

You are correct about the F6 being a little long in the tooth. However, you have to realize that amateur radio is a niche market. For every HT that is sold, probably 1000 mp3 players and digital cameras are sold, so you cannot expect the same frantic product cycle. but the Kenwood is still a good solid radio. Yes, there are a few comprmises in the general receiver. But one thing that I love is that it has two receivers. The "A" receiver is optimized for ham bands only, and it does a good job. The "B" receiver is the DC-to-daylight one, and it is hard to get great performance and a huge tuning range together. I am just amazed that you can get so much functionality in a package this size. The electronics (minus the battery pack) is about the size of a deck of cards -- amazing.

In my opinion, the Kenwood and the Yaesu VX-7R are both wonderful units. You can't go wrong with either one. The Yaesu is waterproof and has 6M, and almost no power on 220. The Kenwood has no 6M, 5W in 220, SSB receive, and a bar antenna.

BTW: One thing about the Yaesu that kind of annoyed me is that it has the flashing light on the front, and a "slot machine" video game built-in. This just struck me as being to goofy. I wanted an HT where the engineers were focusing on performance, not flash.

#55815 - 12/14/05 08:04 AM Re: Opinions on Kenwood TH-F6A?
paulr Offline
Addict

Harrkev, thanks, I really hate devices that depend on proprietary batteries. I don't want to buy one that can't use AA's. The Yaesu apparently can't use AA's at all. The Icom has the IC-215 pack available that holds two AA's, but output power is limited to 0.1 watts and the AA's (1.2v 2500mAH x 2 = 6 WH) have much less total energy than the 7.4 volt 1300 mAH lithum battery (9.6 WH). The Kenwood's lithum pack is a little bit bigger (1500 mAH or 11.1 WH from Kenwood, 1800 mAH third party if you can believe the spec) but its AA pack holds four cells (12 WH) which is basically as good as the lithium pack. It looks like there's an extra-thick third party lithium pack with 3600 mAH which is also of interest. (I don't mind using a lithium pack when convenient, I just want the option of using AA's at other times). I don't know if it's even still possible to buy the proprietary packs for my old IC-2AT or IC-P4AT any more, but the AA packs still work fine.

It looks like the Icom is cheaper though, $255 at HRO.

#55816 - 12/14/05 04:26 PM Re: Opinions on Kenwood TH-F6A?
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
I do not have the AA pack for mine, but one problem with alkalines is that they choke on high-current loads. So your TX power will be limited. This is not a problem for receiving, though. That is why custom lithiums are used.

And as for the aftermarket battery packs, check the specs. The 1800, if I recall correctly, is thicker than the standard battery. So it will work, but you will have to remove the belt clip. I have not looked at the pack in a year or so, so maybe the newer ones are the same size. Just something else to be aware of.

#55817 - 12/14/05 04:44 PM Re: Opinions on Kenwood TH-F6A?
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
"I really hate devices that depend on proprietary batteries."

Originally I picked up the Icom OEM 4AA pack for my HT, but the output is lower than I was used to. (lithiums would help here).

A while back I found a site selling 6AA packs for my radio. That means a substantial increase in TX output for my HT. They had a nice selection of aftermarket AA packs for other HTs as well. Unfortunately after a computer upgrade I lost the link.

When I get a chance, I'll try to track it down again.

Also, not all radios have the same output on small battery packs. My original Yeasu did much better on the small pack than my Icom for wattage output. On the other side of the coin, the Icom would last much longer in an emergency (both RX and TX) due to it's lower output and miserly RX current drain.

If the low wattage output will consistantly get into several local repeaters, the TX may not be your biggest concern. Most HTs spend the vast majority of their life in RX mode. Getting an HT that sips, not gulps, current could be a big issue.

Good luck, TR

#55818 - 12/15/05 04:52 AM Re: Opinions on Kenwood TH-F6A?
paulr Offline
Addict

Thanks, I'd appreciate that link if you find it, pizzaman. What radio do you have?

I may not have been clear, my interest in an AA pack is not as an emergency backup. It would be for primary use and I'd put NiMH rechargeable cells in it. The lithium ion pack can be nice under some circumstances but I'd rather not have to replace it ($$$) or use a special charger for it. I try to choose devices that use AA's so I can run practically everything on NiMH cells and a couple of chargers that I share between everything. So I'd use the AA pack as the main pack, and the lithium ion pack as the backup, and maybe have some lithium AA cells for emergencies but the main cells would be NiMH. For the IC-P4AT there's a 6AA pack that works pretty well, for example.

#55819 - 12/15/05 05:31 PM Re: Opinions on Kenwood TH-F6A?
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
"Thanks, I'd appreciate that link if you find it, pizzaman. What radio do you have?"

Paul,

I found the link:
http://www.batteriesamerica.com/icom1.htm

I'll be ordering a couple of these.

I have the Icom IC-T22a. I really like this radio. The specs for RX current consumption are superb. Like so many of these little radios the speaker is too small. I picked up a nice speaker mic from Pryme to improve the sound. The T22a also has one of the better stock antennas. So many of the compact HTs have absurdly small antennas. If you are running low TX, you need a good antenna. The Icom has a good antenna.

That said, I still have a collection of larger more efficient antennas (a longer duck antenna, a long telescoping antenna, and a roll up J Pole antenna).

Good luck, TR

#55820 - 12/15/05 06:46 PM Re: Opinions on Kenwood TH-F6A?
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Not to throw a wrench in the works, but I've heard some horror stories about Batteries America and their 6AA pack for the Icom radios. I was thinking about getting a couple of them for my IC-W32A (another fine dual-band choice), but after hearing about some other customers' experiences with that company, I elected to pass.

#55821 - 12/15/05 06:54 PM Re: Opinions on Kenwood TH-F6A?
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Quote:
I've heard some horror stories about Batteries America and their 6AA pack for the Icom radio

Michael-

Could you please elaborate...are we talking less than satisfactory battery performance, or have HTs been fried?

Thanks,

Dan

#55822 - 12/18/05 09:53 AM Re: Opinions on Kenwood TH-F6A?
paulr Offline
Addict

Thanks, Pizzaman. The T22A is a 2m unit and as mentioned I think I want a dual bander. FWIW, I've bought stuff from that battery pack company (E. H. Yost) before with no problems, though not that particular product. I still have an IC-P4AT, and lost in the mists I have an IC-2AT somewhere. I don't think the proprietary packs for those radios are even available any more, but I bought the AA packs for them when I bought the radios. So, I'm pretty determined to stick with AA-powerable units.

Actually if I go berserk, I might skip the whole tiny HT thing and get an FT-817. That would solve a lot of these issues all at once.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.