Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#5545 - 04/17/02 07:06 PM Braddock's grave
Anonymous
Unregistered

I lived in that area for 2 years. Gathland and Burkittsville ...one is east side and the other west side of the South mountain ridge.<br><br>I don't think I knew your Bill Ware, nor do I know the Inn at south mountain... what town (s) Hagan's tavern? nope.<br><br>I met Bill Moran and visited him on occasion. He would be pretty old if he is still sucking air, and I hope he is..<br><br>Yup your monument has to be bigger than mine ;-) as it was just a green sign leaving Middletown heading east towards 40.<br><br>When I was there I was on hard times.... My current wife just as we met was alos on hard times, so we teamed up.. that was in 1990. We had a offer in W.V., but it went to hell in hand basket before we could get a glass of water. The truck true to form in a pinch blew off 2 lugs and left 4 holding the wheel... That was about day 2 from leaving NY state... You could say the K-10 was loaded a little bit.... We hit one camp ground that want $18.00 bucks for the night... The next night we found a dirt road near the Potomac. I was getting road weary and pretty beat, and worryin about that wheel didn't help....I had a horse trailer with tools and a horse too!<br><br>I think it was like the 4th night I blew a nutty and decided to go back to NY where her family was, and we pulled in a place called Maple Tree Camp, for a year ;-) The owner was in deep need of a general handy man. After I washed the dishes we cooked and ate her food for the first night, and chatted about things she might want done.. Well after cutting down some of the biggest red oaks that were dead and dropping limbs, that we here in New England consider to be trees, and building 6 sets of cabin steps, and a wide variety of other jobs from car repair to construction on the main house, .... that an architech could not figure out, we moved over the hill, to Burkitsville in a pasture for year 2.... There I cut trees for who ever needed, and did snow plowing that year (Storm of the Century) that was deep, and the Middeltown Fire Dept commondeired me and my truck. That entire time we lived in a tee pee, and for one more full year after that, but here in New Hampster where there are no bugs at -50'F ;-)<br><br>During my time in Md. I also made a French Raised Bed Garden in Gaithersburgs, at what I called PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. gardens. This was a group of like minded condo owners in some form of reality. I have photos of that bit too, and am rather proud of the work that was done there... Little touches like cutting a tomb stone shape gate witha makita cricular saw, and then having the owner reverse the gate because he wanted the nice looking side face in.... So once again with the same saw I made an Acorn about 12" x 8" wide complete with a checkered top..... A shed was made to replicate the type of alternating board fence, and the shed was not allowed to be fastened to the building, but it could touch. I keyed a 4"x4" section and also canterlevered a garden potting bench off that so it had no legs....<br><br>We know a "potter" at almost the top of south mountain ridge, and I know the mayor of burkittsville still. We visited there a few years back as my wife has family in the outter DC area... <br><br>I did and still do F&I, but there did dabble in North / South... I got in trouble for my efforts as one of Mosby's Boys. I with one regimental soldier of foot took a Union Camp with out a shot fired.... pretty funny really... We went up a cliff the back way, and caught them at dawn by total surprise.... I stuck 2 colt .44's in the Dear Ol' Caps face to wake him.... Now in it self that was bad to have 2 Johnney Rebs just saunter into camp, but I had that horse too, and that just really got them going, and the fact that we drank all the coffee they had for 3 days, and took the muskets during our visit... swords too... ;-) <br><br>Later there was a "Ball" in Burkittsville at a place Lincoln ordered medical attention for ALL soldiers..I forget the name of the place. Any way the mayor of Burkittsville was in attendance, but not the mayor at that time. I knew him so-so... and considered him a hard man at that time. The type of man that you must earn trust, and once you do if you ever break it you have burned the bridge..... I had done a bit of work for him, but had not gained his trust at that time, and he knew only about me that I lived in a tee pee....somewhere near by..<br><br>Well he had a belgian draft horse, and a coach to go with it. He drove it often, but could not do both be at the Ball and drive. <br><br>So he turned the job over to his daugeters riding instuctor. This man named Ralph had zip driving experience, and [censored] near lost it turning in a driveway. My "Orders" were to get down and take the reins only!! Well at the point of getting killed nearly I took the reins as I had driven teams for 3 1/2 years hauling tourist in NH at a B&B....<br><br>Of course the owner caught me, but Ralph spoke up in my favor, and it was decided I would drive for the rest of the evening.<br><br>After all those in attendance were at the Ball I was invited in as well. I was in all borrowed clothing so nothing fit... The boots were way to big for me LOL. The only thing I had on that I owned was 1 of the 2 colt 44's.<br><br>Now in attendance was that very same Union Captain, and he was rather perturubed at my being there as there had been some "Talk" later that day after they had all been declared prisoner.... So I had an eye over my shoulder for him, as he was not pleased with me at all..... I had a good time as well, but then I don't trust the enemy all that much...<br><br>With F&I I go as a Native (Shebuckona) and the Brits hate him.. They will send 12 men to get him, and loose a full 1/3, leaving Shebuckona free, but thats another long story....<br><br>I have been attempting to paint a motor bike, and got to a point where a clean up was needed for dust. The temps here are too hot for the type of paint, so I have been alternating cleaning breathing and sweating, taking breaks at the puter...<br><br>2 days ago it was in the 40's and now it is near to 90'. I do not deal with heat well as I age.... I prefer winter any thing from 65' to -40 suits me, but get me over 78' and the brain goes first, then the body, so I just hang and write stuff.... So sorry if this has become work reading for you..... Mac

#5546 - 04/17/02 09:34 PM Re: Braddock's grave
Anonymous
Unregistered

No problem.<br><br>As for the monument, take a peek here:<br><br>http://www.watsonschoice.com/GuideBook/Attractions/BraddocksGrave.htm<br><br>or here:<br><br>http://www.nps.gov/fone/braddock.htm<br><br>for an idea.<br><br>I corresponded a bit with Bill Moran decades ago- my best friend in High School went up there and spent an afternoon listening to him, and relayed a lot of what he had to say. Interesting guy. I’m pretty sure he’s still with us. <br><br>The Old South Mountain Inn is not really an inn, it’s an upscale restaurant. Very pleasant and enjoyable, excellent service (except holidays)… but you may need more wine to deal with the sticker shock. Or maybe a second mortgage, depending. It’s right across from the entrance off of 40 into the Washington Monument State Park. Hagans Tavern (a little late, I think it’s about 1790) has almost the same menu (I think there's a connection) but is more modest (and much more “period”)- it’s actually in Braddock Heights, not very far from Frederick going that way.

#5547 - 04/23/02 12:38 AM Re: Phew--glad to see you back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey mac--hadn't seen you post for a month or so....good to see you back...was about to send out a search party!<br><br>Robb

#5548 - 04/23/02 12:46 AM Re: Phew--glad to see you back
Anonymous
Unregistered

I get more travel away from home as summer comes.... Keeping you French guys safe from the Yenquise... I get all caught up in Silver Work, and making things to sell, traveling to sell same.... and general life..... Thanks though... Mac

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.