Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#55134 - 12/02/05 03:07 PM Re: Paracord Neck Lanyards
Anonymous
Unregistered

You might try the magnetic necklace latches. They work quite well and are not very expensive. I have also melted the ends of paracord together to make a breakaway. The melted joint is much weaker than the cord but strong enough to prevent losing it.

#55135 - 12/02/05 04:34 PM Re: Paracord Neck Lanyards
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Be carefull with magnetic anything if you might use this lanyard to carry a compass. While it might not affect accuracy in use, the magnet could damage the compass during storage.

#55136 - 12/02/05 04:54 PM Re: Paracord Neck Lanyards
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Slip the two flame sealed ends of the cord into some plastic aquarium or rubber tubing.

This is how I've done it for years, and it works great! a good 3" length of rubber hose will work well.

#55137 - 12/02/05 05:30 PM Re: Paracord Neck Lanyards
readyone Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florida
I read on this forum or somewhere else how to cut and flame seal the end of paracord where it looks professional. Can anyone help me on that one? Thanks!

#55138 - 12/02/05 06:34 PM Re: Paracord Neck Lanyards
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
KenK,
Someday your cubs will appreciate and respect your efforts.

My Bear Den (The Black Blade) made small Indian medicine bags out of a nagahyde-like (sp?) material. We stitched the sides up with paracord and used paracord for the neck lanyards. I cut a small strip of leather to glue on the flap. We stamped each boy’s initials into the leather.

At our next hike I will be issuing flat ACME Orion Tornado safety whistles (These are smaller and arguably better than the mini fox 40). I picked up several two packs on Amazon.com (I believe the retailer was OutdoorSuperStore.com). The whistles will go in the bag.

We will have a meeting on first-aid where we will make a small first aid kit for each bag. Another meeting will teach knot tying. I will make up a small “cheat sheet” on knot tying to place in the bag (printed on water resistant paper). I’ll probably make up a small cheat sheet on survival as well to place in the bags. Toss in their “whittling chip” and they are ready to go. Maybe add a photon or Inova microlight. I’ve also looked into getting some suunto clipper compasses to clip onto the bag flap. When complete the boys will have a nice little survival pouch for any occasion. I also added 4 small paracord tassels to the bottom of the bag to show off any achievement beads.

TR (Your’re never too young to have a PSK)

#55139 - 12/02/05 07:12 PM Re: Paracord Neck Lanyards
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
I use my soldering iron with a flat chiseled tip. For small line, it works as well as a hot knife.

#55140 - 12/02/05 07:15 PM Re: Paracord Neck Lanyards
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
That's a pretty cool way to put together a PSK, teach about the uses of the items, and have kids learn important skills along the way.

Good Stuff.

#55141 - 12/02/05 07:56 PM Re: Paracord Neck Lanyards
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I tightly tape with masking tape the paracord. Cut it in the middle of the tape then flame the ends gently. Remove the tape and you have a good one.

If you could figure out a way to fuse about a half inch of the cord into a hard bit that works very well in the tubing connection.

I have thought about inserting the cut and fused end as above into a tight brass tube and then heating that to fuse the whole end up but have never tried this.

My breakaway lanyard from Suunto has such ends and a rubber tube connector and it works like a charm.

#55142 - 12/02/05 08:16 PM Re: Paracord Neck Lanyards
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Don't forget to put in some kind of shelter. The Hug-a-Tree program recommended that kids at least carry a whistle and a large trash bag.

#55143 - 12/02/05 08:47 PM Re: Paracord Neck Lanyards
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

Twist the cord so that it narrows and burn through the narrow part with a match. Since it is already tight, you will not get any frayed ends. (Needs three hands.)

I've done this with half inch nylon rope, but it ought to work with paracord as well.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.