Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54990 - 11/30/05 11:39 PM Rat Trap or Benchmade mini Griptilian 555 (556)?
Omega Offline
Journeyman

I know, it is a bit strange choice. Knives are in different price categories. However, this is how my choice narrowed. I dropped quite a few knives on the way. Now I would like to know which one of them is more convenient to use.
How the knife will be used? Camping/hiking/cooking/travels and, of course, in case of emergency.
What I like in Benchmade? Well, as I understand, mini Griptilian served as a prototype for Doug Ritter's knife, therefore it has the same lock and handle, so it should be a good choice for survival. You may recommend me Doug's knife, but really I do not see much point paying twice more for a knife because it has better steel material and a bit better blade shape. Also I read opinion of people who suggest that knives of Griptilian line are more comfortable in wilderness than Sebenza.
Rat Trap. What attracts me to this knife - I can break it and get another one no questions asked. So It should be a strong knife. I will be able to use it for shooting bow to take arrows from trees (this requires a bit of prying, not healthy for a knife, but as far as I know prying is still covered by Swamp Rat). But I read a few comments that it is not that convenient knife. I would like to find out what is not conveninet, but cannot find these reviews...
Which one do you think will be better choice? And why?
Regards,

#54991 - 12/01/05 12:43 AM Re: Rat Trap or Benchmade mini Griptilian 555 (556)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From memory, aren't you in the UK?
Is a locking blade knife like the Griptilian legal over there?

#54992 - 12/01/05 12:49 AM Re: Rat Trap or Benchmade mini Griptilian 555 (556)?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Personally I am not impressed with any replacement warranty, high end steel, video of people disembowling car doors, marketing names that would humble Excalibur and everything else the seller uses to exchange product for pieces of paper. A knife is a cutting tool, not a prybar, axe,spear,can opener, signal mirror or grappling hook.The most generous warranty in the world is of no value in a true survival or extended wilderness excursion should you break the knife. I can destroy utterly any knife on earth, including the infamous british MOD4- and I did. I don't understand the terms 'comfort' and 'convenience' either. Are we talking ergonomics? Any pictorial history of knives will have you shocked at humanity's ability to rise from tundra and savanna hunters to a modern knife forum. What was Oetzi thinking with that stupid dagger and copper axe? Danial Boone's long knife taken from a slain indian, now theres a winner and look at those Green river skinners sold by the gross in spite of awful square handles that skinned an entire species down to a handfull of survivors. I'd take a deep breath and rethink the whole knife thing. What are you carrying now? How will you improve on it with any of these selections? Are there alternative strategies to recover an arrow without using your knife? ALL KNIVES, from the Hibben fantasy monstrosities to a museum's prized Katana cut one object with deadly accuracy- your pursestrings.

#54993 - 12/01/05 02:51 AM Re: Rat Trap or Benchmade mini Griptilian 555 (556
Hutch4545 Offline
dedicated member

Swamp Rat "Rat Trap" - S30V - $138.95
Benchmade "RSK Mk 1" - S30V - [color:"red"]$104.95 [/color]

Benchmade "Mini Griptilian 555/6 - 440C - $91.95
Benchmade "Mini RSK Mk1" - [color:"red"]S30V[/color] - $99.95

Nothing against the other knives, but the choice should be easy.

#54994 - 12/01/05 03:20 AM Re: Rat Trap or Benchmade mini Griptilian 555 (556)?
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
Quote:
I can break it and get another one no questions asked

I woudn't be so sure on this one. IIRC (I may be wrong on this since I don't feel like searching swamp rats archives right now) Eric from the swamp has mentioned on the forums that the rat trap may get some questions asked about how you broke it. If you need a fixed blade than buy one. A folder has limitations that need to be respected.

2 cents FWIW

Adam

#54995 - 12/01/05 02:05 PM Re: Rat Trap or Benchmade mini Griptilian 555 (556)?
sodak Offline
Addict

Ironically, snapping a folder trying to cut an arrow out of an old stump was what sparked my interest in knives about 10 years ago.

For your purposes, neither knife is suitable. Something with a lot of steel behind the tip (and a fixed blade) is necessary for this task, such as a CS SRK or SRKW Camp Tramp or Bandicoot. It is true that knives aren't prybars, but you can't find a prybar that will be able to cut/dig an arrow out of a tree either. These 3 knives will do this easily without any worry of damage. I do it all the time with the 3 that I mentioned. I realize that's probably not the answer that you were looking for, sorry.

#54996 - 12/01/05 03:49 PM Re: Rat Trap or Benchmade mini Griptilian 555 (556)?
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Not having ANY experience freeing arrows from trees ... I was wondering if the Becker Necker BK11 would be a relatively portable option. Not a real thick blade, but still a pretty strong fixed blade that can be easily hung from the neck.

#54997 - 12/01/05 06:43 PM Re: Rat Trap or Benchmade mini Griptilian 555 (556)?
Omega Offline
Journeyman

Under "comfort " I mean ergonomics. Under "convenience" I mean how easy the knife will let me do tasks like preparation of food in the kitchen (includes peeling vegetables, cutting meat, cleaning fish), carving wood and do some works like opening boxes.
Well, whole thing started about 2 weeks ago when I lost my Delica. I decided to replace it with a bit better knife.
I felt Delica was very convenient to carry knife, but not really a good choice as a working knife, it was more "just in case knife" -convenient to carry all the time, but it was not comfortable to be used in the kitchen or carving wood, or really almost any camping activity. In the office - yes, most acitivities it could do ok. So, this is where my knife had to do the job better – kitchen/field work. And I began my search.
And my wife found my Delica. But by that time I already decided to get myself another knife.
I do mind warranty though – I already broke my Delica and Wenger before and they were replaced by new ones. Actually, I like when knife is not that well built that it can break down – you get a brand new replacement just by the time when knife is woren quite well and need to get retired. So, not waste of money there.
I looked at other knives too, especially on Buck Strider, Spyderco Native, Benchmade Doug Ritter, Benchmade Pika, Spyderco Delica, Spyderco Endura, Victorinox Trekker and Camillus Sierra, Striders, Sebenza and VTech (copy of Sebenza).
The question is which one will do kitchen/field jobs better, Rat Trap or Griptilian.
Regards,

P.S.: If you cooperate with police in the UK and do not harm anybody, Police will be very polite with you and let you off. I brought my Delica to police station on the day I bought it asking if I can carry it and they said it should be ok as long as I behave properly.

#54998 - 12/01/05 11:12 PM Re: Rat Trap or Benchmade mini Griptilian 555 (556)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I havent free'd any arrows either, but what about a cheap chissel to dig around the arrow head to to most of the heavy work, then a strong folder knife to finish.
Less strain on the folder, less chance of breaking it.

#54999 - 12/02/05 01:04 AM Re: Rat Trap or Benchmade mini Griptilian 555 (556)?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For kitchen duties thin is in even if fats where it's at. UK knife laws allow carry if you have a legitimate purpose. Obviously dressing like Cary Grant as a cat burglar will get you in trouble while a basic assemblage of camping ( repete after me, camping, not survival tools if questioned) show your cause to carry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.