Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54620 - 11/28/05 08:34 PM Snow Walker
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
Currently running on cable. Saw some posts referring to it in the lending library. It held my interest, some interesting aspects of survival in very harsh terrain. But one thing kept bothering me... Except for the one scene, where were the damn mosquitoes?

I've seen full grown bull moose go charging into a lake to escape these persistent vampires. I've noticed that almost every PSK fails to provide for some relief from these terrors. Other than smudge pots, a smoky fire, (both fairly stationary) what provisions does one make in a psk for some form of relief? Anybody who has ever been in the North woods in the Spring should have an inkling as to what I'm talking about.

#54621 - 11/28/05 08:37 PM Re: Snow Walker
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Quote:
I've seen full grown bull moose go charging into a lake to escape these persistent vampires.

In Maine the black flies have been known to carry a moose off.

#54622 - 11/28/05 08:52 PM Re: Snow Walker
Misanthrope Offline

Yeah, but it's my understanding that Maine only has two seasons, Winter and Mud.

#54623 - 11/28/05 11:58 PM Re: Snow Walker
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, we get mozzies bad enough to rape Emu's.

I dont have anything in my small kits, but I always throw in a roll on stick of Aerogard into my packs/car etc.

I dont know if you get Aerorgard over there.

#54624 - 11/29/05 02:40 AM Re: Snow Walker
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I got this in the passaround in the lending library.

Really an excellent movie. I loved Anabella Piagatuk's tool kit, and her practical approach to life on the tundra.

Traditional tools seem to have great form and function, and on a recent trip to SE Alaska I looked for a handmade ulu. I encouhtered a set of ulus made by Maynard Linder and ended up with 2 for my kitchen. Today my4th ulu arrived...a large sewing ulu, made by Maynard Linder in Homer Alaska.

This one has about a 4.5 inch cutting edge and a very nice piece of Steller's SeaCow bone for a handle. Maynard has used vintage hand saw steel and a convex edge.

I have a moccasin repair project in progress...I should see if I can find the Snow Walker to watch once more to inspire me.

#54625 - 11/29/05 04:13 AM Re: Snow Walker
KRamas Offline
Stranger

Loc: Santa Ana, CA.
If you need it, I have the pass-around copy. You can PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail for you. If not I will just return it to William Lorimer who's address is on the CD case.

#54626 - 11/29/05 04:52 AM Re: Snow Walker
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
"Anybody who has ever been in the North woods in the spring should have an inkling as to what I'm talking about."

Misanthrope,

Good point on the skeeters. Living in the Puget Sound region, when it rains, the blood suckers hide. No worries here.

Not true above the great white north. Many years ago after doing some work in Anchorage AK, I had some free time to do a bit of hiking. I headed off into the Chugach National Forest for a walkabout (sans repellant). The size and tenacity of the mosquitoes there are legendary. It was in a full downpour and the bugs were still doing a fine business. I was fully clothed with the exception of my hands and face (head and neck covered with drawstring hood). I must have looked quite the fool with the nonstop waving, smashing, and slapping of my my face (I’m not even going to mention the funny dancing I was doing to keep the grizzly bells on my feet ringing). In the lower 48 I have never had a mosquito get through the thick skin on my palms. These babies were setting up drilling rigs on my palms. Within an hour may face and hands were so swollen from bites that I cried “Uncle”. Little bastards showed no mercy. I was forced to terminate my walkabout and high tail it back to my rental car. Just unreal.

Screw the bears! If I ever return I'll be loaded for bugs.

The only thing I have been in that was similar was a hike up to the Twin Sisters lakes near Mt. Rainier. This is a place of epic beauty and treacherous mosquitoes. The whole family was slathered in Cutters to no avail. After a brief look at the lakes (picture Chevy Chase at the Grand Canyon in “Vacation”) we practically ran back down the trail. Later I talked to some local hunters that have a favorite mosquito repellant. They rub themselves and their horses down in motor oil. Think I’ll pass.

Maybe others have some anti-mosquito warfare techniques they can share?

TR

#54627 - 11/29/05 05:44 AM Re: Snow Walker
Anonymous
Unregistered

I grew up on the Canadian prairies, I know about mosquitoes. Every survival kit I have, car, airplane, hiking, etc. all have mosquitoe repellant in them. Being stuck in the bush without would be living hell. Some early settlers on the prairies were driven literally insane by the little beasties. I prefer a brand called Muskoil, it has as much DEET as is legally allowed and it works great...Deep Woods Off is pretty good too.

#54628 - 11/29/05 03:51 PM Re: Snow Walker
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I bought a cheap mosquito face net ($3.00 from Campmor)before my first bowhunt this year but did not need it. Unless it's high summer skeeter swarms are pretty rare here. Do you think a face net is worth carrying or should I rely on repellant? I guess the net could always double as a gill net. Do you guys up there in mosquito heaven even bother with nets and the like?

Regards, Vince

#54629 - 11/29/05 04:17 PM Re: Snow Walker
Misanthrope Offline

One of the reasons for my original post, other than the movie, is that a group of us go on a fly-in fishing trip to Northwestern Ontario every spring (about 100 miles north of Red Lake). In May and June, the Mosquitoes get so thick that they the form an opaque cloud. A mosquito head net is an absolute necessity at dusk. 100% Deet on all exposed skin, perm sprayed on clothes (they will bite right through anything but the thickest clothing), and a head net. Unless you're willing to spread DEET in your hair and on your scalp, a head net is a must.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.