Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#541 - 04/22/01 04:14 PM Scrape or Strike
Anonymous
Unregistered

When makeing a fire with flint ( actual flint ) should you strike or scrape the flint with steel? I know how to use the Magnesium and Flint ( ferocerium ) bars. I am asking about actual flint like you would find on the ground. I know someone out there knows the answer. Thanks<br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

#542 - 04/22/01 04:45 PM Re: Scrape or Strike
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Using natural flints requires carbon steel with a rockwell of 60.The actuall striking of steel and flint is a sharp striking scrape.Confused?Just take a look at the action of a flintlock.The blackpowder re enactors use tinder kits that have forged strikers and flints.Dixie Gunworks and my Puukko dealer (www.ragweedforge.com) both have sets.Ragweed has a full discusion of firemaking with flint.We don't have true flint in the US,it is a European stone.We have agates,cherts,obsidian etc.A recent wilderness way issue(www.wwmag.com) has an article of suitable minerals.<br><br>

#543 - 04/22/01 06:03 PM Re: Scrape or Strike
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Further notes:You need a carbon knife,because the carbon is the actual combustable producing the spark.Are you new to knapping?You need your flintstone and a Hammer(a hard round cobble).Grind a rough face onto your flint.This is your striking surface.Next strike a sharp blow with the hammer.This will produce flakes with the neccessary edge.If glass is available just smash it and you have a flint.this stuff is SHARP! I excavated a Pliestocene Bison kill in Wyoming. In Removing the 7000year old projectile I slit my hand open.With a single molecule edge my wound healed in half the time.Would that Cold Steel could perform as well!!!! <br><br>

#544 - 04/23/01 02:21 PM Ranger, you have it backwards
Anonymous
Unregistered

You asked how to strike the flint with the steel. Actually you will want to do that the other way around: strike the steel with the flint. This is the opposite of how man-made "flint" (ferrocerium) works. That makes it confusing. <br><br>It may help to think about what you are trying to accomplish at the microscopic level: your flint will shave or scrape away a tiny bit of the steel. That tiny bit of steel will be heated by the friction of being torn away from the rest of the steel. The heated bit of steel will be so hot as to be molten and can ignite good tinder that it lands on (especially your pants).<br><br>Good luck!<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.