Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#534 - 04/17/01 11:36 PM Hollow Handle Contents
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering what I should put into the handle of my CR Project 1. I have asthma so I figured medication and maybe a flint and steel would be the best bet. I just don't know if I am using sound judgement, given the importance fire making. <br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

#535 - 04/18/01 11:59 AM Re: Hollow Handle Contents
Anonymous
Unregistered

You may find you only require the flint not knowing what your knife is this may have enough steel content to be used as a striker. But practice makes perfect so at least have a go before the need arises.<br><br>There is one problem; if you loose your knife you've lost a fire maker! You may find better that you keep your firemaker separate and just premade tinder inside the handle.<br><br>Not that I wish to dissuade you; but Sorry I'm not a hollow handle fan, I prefer the small style folder. Also if your travelling the locals sometimes frown upon knives so you may not always be able to keep on your person. And a man and his kit can sometime be easily separated. Something I've learnt to my cost.<br><br>sorry cant think of a catchphrase but I hope this helps<br><br>many regards Ian<br><br>

#536 - 04/18/01 01:51 PM Re: Hollow Handle Contents
Anonymous
Unregistered

You make some good suggestions. The knife is made by Chris Reeve. Knife steel is A2. I only load the handle as a backup.<br>In my regular kit I carry fire making supplies. I was just contemplating a worst case situation. I only carry the CR knife while in the woods. While in town I carry an AXIS lock by Benchmade. Thanks for the ideas and time Ian.<br><br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ranger on 04/18/01 06:54 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#537 - 04/18/01 05:24 PM Re: Hollow Handle Contents
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I tried the hollow handle concept with my M-6 survival rifle.After extensive gunsmithing,I added a sealed tube that fit inside the .410 barrel.With additional storage in the buttstock I had a backup redundancy with all the basics.When I actually carried the rifle reality struck.I was much more likely to lose the rifle than the gear in my pockets.With this caveat Id list the standard basics;fire making,water purification tablets,button compass,medication,whistle and paracord wrapped around the sheath.I tape a credit card sized diamond hone under the cord.<br><br>

#538 - 04/18/01 05:32 PM Re: Hollow Handle Contents
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good advice. I like the sharpening stone under the cord idea. This brings to mind the idea of building another seath with a large pocket. Does anyone know of a source for leather? I could always try Tandy Leather Co. but they are a bit pricey.<br>Thank you Chris.<br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

#539 - 04/18/01 07:40 PM Re: Hollow Handle Contents
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Leather has become very expensive and will only go up.Several agricultural insecticides were pulled off the market and as a result prime hides are harder to get.That and water pollution from the tanning process(cromium) and the Hoof and mouth disaster in Europe is really going to reduce the supply and increase cost.I know Doug lists some sheath makers with modern materials and the Frugal Squirrel forum had a reference buried in the knife section.I scrounge old seat belts and My local Fire Dept. saves their old hoses for me.The hoses are perfect scabbards for saws.axes etc.<br><br>

#540 - 04/18/01 09:52 PM Re: Hollow Handle Contents
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I purchased my diamond hone from my Puukko knife dealer(ragweedforge.com).He has a med/fine combo for $14with a vinal sheath.it's small enough to snug right up to my cold steel SRK sheath.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.