Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#53895 - 11/17/05 09:57 PM Re: BOB for every family member?
anotherinkling Offline

Loc: Chicago
I got a couple cheap, sturdy backpacks and have created His and Hers BOBs. They are largely redundant but some items are tailored to physique and/or ability. For instance, there are large work gloves in mine and small ones in hers. For fire, there's a mini Bic, lifeboat matches and a magnesium firestarter in mine. In hers, there's a mini Bic, lifeboat matches and a Storm Solo windproof/waterproof lighter. Mine has spare glasses. Hers doesn't need 'em. We could do well with one BOB, but the pair would make things more comfortable. Each contains roughly 30 items and weighs about 8-10 pounds. I wouldn't mind lightening things up a bit, but I feel like 32 oz. of clean water each and a couple Mainstay bars each will save time and improve morale in the midst of an urban evacuation, probably the most likely eventuality for me.

#53896 - 11/17/05 10:20 PM Re: BOB for every family member?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh, wow, when my brother, my sister-in-law and myself all lived at home, the BOBs ran about 20 pounds each. But a lot of that was in 6 liters of water.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#53897 - 11/17/05 10:53 PM Re: BOB for every family member?
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Everyone in my family has a CamelBack with PSK items that they wear when they go hiking or camping. They are a work in process. This Christmas I am going to upgrade everyone to the hooded HD Space Blanket and the County Comm Metal Match. Right now some have trash bags and BSA Hot Sparks.

I like to try different PSK items and see what works best. If an item is good then I get everyone in the family one. There are 6 of us. So far everyone has:
Storm whistle
Glass 2”x3” signal mirror
Base plate compass
First-Aid kit with selected supplies like the Burn-Jel
BSA First-Aid card
CMG Infinity Ultra AA LED
BSA Hot Spark
Neckerchief
And other stuff

#53898 - 11/18/05 12:04 AM Re: BOB for every family member?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You might consider having diferent equipment for each person --in case of failure on one brand or another...

TRO

#53899 - 11/18/05 01:24 AM Re: BOB for every family member?
NIM Offline

You can boil water in the wide mouthed nalgene bottles. Find a dry rock that will easily fit into the bottle and throw it into the fire. Once it is scorching hot take a green stick. Bend the stick in half and pickup the rock in the stick. Tie the stick tightly to the rock with cordage and dip the rock into the nalgene bottle. Hold until it boils.

Another method is to put a few layers of bark and sand/dirt in the bottom of the nalgene and use a bark trough to guide the rock to the bottom WITHOUT touching the sides. The water will boil in short order.

If the rock accidentally touches the plastic walls DUMP the contents or it will likely melt through the plastic. I have yet to do this but I suspect it is only a matter of time.

-NIM

#53900 - 11/18/05 05:38 PM Re: BOB for every family member?
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
You can boil water in a paper cup. Remember, water boils at 210* F and paper burns at 451* F. We did it as an experiment in Boy Scouts.

#53901 - 11/18/05 06:09 PM Re: BOB for every family member?
mtnhiker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nevada,USA
I keep a kit (small backpack) in each of our vehicles that is urban disaster oriented and can sustain my family for several days. Think about it. you are away from home quite a bit and your vehicle is usually nearby. It has all the basics plus each family members personal items.. glasses spare meds etc

#53902 - 11/18/05 06:57 PM Re: BOB for every family member?
mtnhiker Offline
Journeyman

One thing we all need to remember is that we all tend to focus on "gear" we might need and how to pack/carry it for a survival situation be it natural or human induced. The human body is very resilient and can survive along time without food or extra gear as long as it is hydrated. we can survive WEEKS without food as long as we stay hydrated. DEHYDRATION BECOMES AN ISSUE IN JUST HOURS IF NOT MINUTES DEPENDING ON THE SITUATION. A question we all must keep in the FRONT of our minds is "where are we going to get water"

#53903 - 11/18/05 07:21 PM Re: BOB for every family member?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Dehydration is a serious condition, it can quickly come upon us, especially during warm/hot environmental conditions or when engaged in heavy labor, including hiking and even swimming.

However, if the weather is 55F or less (maybe even 60F or less), wet and/or windy or very cold, hypothermia presents a significantly greater short-term dangerous and potentially lethal situation, then dehydration. Gear in the terms of vapor/wind blocking, appropriate clothing and a ready source of high-energy/calories is actually more important then water.

Just my humble opinion-
Pete

#53904 - 11/18/05 07:46 PM Re: BOB for every family member?
mtnhiker Offline
Journeyman

agreed.. we need to be equipped for the situation and gear definately has its vital place.. we should just remember to keep hydration in its vital place on the list.......

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.