Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#53563 - 11/17/05 03:46 PM Re: MagFire...
Pete_Kenney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sylvania, OH
Tom--

Great idea; I'm going to use it. As for pictures, if it is not too much trouble, they always help to make a lesson come together.

Pete

#53564 - 11/17/05 04:09 PM Vaseline & "Cotton" Balls
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
The Magfire, like other similar fire starters, will start a fire if you use it correctly. BUT the main issue with spark-oriented starters is Tinder, Tinder, Tinder and Tinder.

The reason that vaseline and the so-called "cotton" balls (they are actually a synthetic usually - especially if they are called "cosmetic puffs" are such great tinder is that they are solidified oil - petroleum. They are a hydrocarbon burn, with horrid black stringy smoke, and they work great.

My magfires light them in an instant, as will just about any other sparker. They burn ultra-hot, will dry other stuff that then can be fed on the fire.

I carry a Bic lighter too - while I practice with the Magfire all the time, the reality is that it's easier to produce fire from a liquid or gas-fueled appliance in most cases. This is why there are so many billions of Bic Lighters out there. That said, a Magfire is a metal stick, with no moving parts. 100% of the useable part of the tool is availible - unlike a Doan block, which hides 50% of the striker in the block. A lighter with a wheel and valve of any kind can fail at any time. Wind and all that is an issue no matter what you're using to start a fire, but cold is NOT an issue. As I'd like to point out, the last thing you need when you slip and fall into a hidden stream while out hunting on a 10 degree morning is a lighter that won't light because it's too cold.

My Hunting PSK - the only "real" PSK I actually need - has a Magfire, Two film canisters of vaseline soaked cosmetic puffs, a Space Blanket Bivvy Bag, some trail tape, a whistle, six large hand-warmers (the type that heat when exposed to air) a magellan GPS 100, four lithium batteries and a roll of flat duct tape (which is my fuirst aid kit). I have a knife on my belt, and of course, a gun (M6 Scout, if anyone cares). I'm dressed for the weather when I go out, and as I've learned over the years, I wear waterpoof boots and gore-text rain pants UNDER my regular pants. the point is to stay as DRY AS POSSIBLE. The denim acts as a physical barrier to brush and bramble, is quieter than the gore-tex and the gore-tex keeps me dry under my layers.
The one time I NEEDED a fire when off in the woods, I had stepped into a hidden stream, hooked my foot on the ice, and fell, face first, into the snow over the thin ice and got good and wet. I needed a fire, big, and fast. Anyway, back to the point. I like Magfires so much I sell them (special sale coming next week!) because I don't like machines that fail when you need them.

#53565 - 11/17/05 06:01 PM Re: Vaseline & "Cotton" Balls
SgtMike88Ret Offline
Journeyman

Careful shopping (reading the fine print) will net you some good, 100% cotton balls. I found mine at WalMart, in two sizes - regular and large. I typically use the regulars and they provide around 3.5 minutes of decent flame...

M

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.