Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#176493 - 07/15/09 04:27 PM Re: Does anyone EDC a camera? [Re: UncleGoo]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hmm, that 1000IS doesn;t look too bad, I saw a couple referbs for under $100.
I absolutley do not want anything with a lithium ion battery, if I had all my gear that way I'd need dozens of chargers not to mention replacing batteries all the time as they age.
My wife has a nice camera, a Canon S3 IS, its our big camera we take anywhere, a neat feature of it is it will take pictures while its taking video so places where picture camera were ok but video isn't it was a nice stealth video camera, take a couple stills to make the flash and they never knew it. They have revised it up to like an s6 now but switched to the lithuim ion so were going to hang on to the current one for a while.
I'm wanting somehting I could mount on my bike handlebars too so if I would crash and break it its not a big deal.

#176496 - 07/15/09 04:49 PM Re: Does anyone EDC a camera? [Re: Eugene]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
If you have independent camera repairmen around, ask them for a bargain. If they receive cameras that are beyond economic repair, some will buy them for parts, then repair the camera hoping to sell on spec. I got a the old Canon for a song.
KEH.com has always been especially good to me for used equipment. Usual disclaimers: I am only a customer.

#176500 - 07/15/09 05:18 PM Re: Does anyone EDC a camera? [Re: UncleGoo]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is a guy here at the office that does that, buys three or four broken ones on ebay and swaps parts around to get a couple good ones. I may have to do it too.

#176515 - 07/15/09 08:15 PM Re: Does anyone EDC a camera? [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
My blackberry camera smile It has an 8gb card, lots of available space for pics and movies.

I used to EDC a camera but not anymore, and I did use it in a car accident too. great to have.

#176522 - 07/15/09 08:53 PM Re: Does anyone EDC a camera? [Re: Todd W]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I was looking at the Canon SD780 IS the other day. I can't decide whether to pic it up or get one of the more expensive Olympus Tough series cameras. That little Canon is as pocketable as any I've seen, has an optical viewfinder for backup and it even shoots 720p video and has a HDMI output. My primary camera is also a Canon so the GUI is familiar for me and the DW.

#176535 - 07/15/09 11:37 PM Re: Does anyone EDC a camera? [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Sure - 90% of cell phones have at least a mediocre camera built in. But in my day pack I carry my Canon A650 IS, a 4AA, 12mp camera that IMHO is the cat's meow with it's rotating view screen.

I am on construction sites all the time as part of my work so it just makes sense to document everything. It also came in handy when some "baby-on-board" twit rear ended my vehicle. I was able to document the evidence including his very short skid marks before hitting me! Needless to say, HIS insurance paid for the repairs and car rental, etc. and he picked up the deductible.

Luckily for me, I didn't have a back or neck injury from his carelessness.

#176536 - 07/15/09 11:45 PM Re: Film or digital to protect your butt? [Re: ki4buc]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
First, most of the newer cards today use encryption to store the actual photo to the portable disk. When you "decrypt" the file you get an image. As long as you cannot write back to the disk an image from outside the camera at anytime, then it is as good as a fingerprint. If you can, then you won't be able to guarantee the authenticity of the digital photograph.

Second, all new digital cameras have a timestamp function. Make sure the date and time are correct.

But even the timestamp isn't always necessary. Cameras also write meta information attached to the file itself -- the date/time, exposure settings and model number. I suppose someone could photoshop a timestamp pretty easily but then they would also have to edit the meta information.

#176540 - 07/16/09 12:39 AM Re: Film or digital to protect your butt? [Re: Roarmeister]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I hate when people post pics with that ugly time stamp on the picture like an antique film camera, its there in the exif data so there is no need to make the pictures ugly.

#176555 - 07/16/09 10:27 AM Re: Camera marketed towards ETS? [Re: gp_frk]
hazeywolf Offline

Nice to have in car, in case of an accident.

I live in an urban environment and EDC a mini digital cam for fun. My cell phone has a cam too. Never know when that UFO might show up!

#176558 - 07/16/09 10:39 AM Re: Camera marketed towards ETS? [Re: hazeywolf]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Speaking of meta information... I noticed that my BlackBerry 8330 (Sprint) has an option to geotag pictures. (IIRC the built in camera is only 2 megapixels. frown ) The default setting is geotagging=off but it's any easy to find option and it's nice to know it's there.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.