The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#128966 - 04/01/08 04:14 PM Re: The Best Disclaimer. EVER. [Re: CJK]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Back when we were in college, we'd help SAR up there thru the AMC club. I still follow the incident reports from time to time, although my SAR years are behind me. The MT Washington Avalanche Center publishes select incident reports for each winter season. The things people do are worthy of Darwin awards at times. There is usually a "lessons learned" section at the end that's interesting.

For anyone who's read similar incident reports, you know that the language is very dry and unemotional, just the facts. It can be instructive to review though. Sometimes it's rather blunt:

"According to the party, they were in the lower section of the Escape Hatch when one of them lost his footing and began a sliding fall. Unable to self arrest, he slid approximately 150 feet before slamming into a tree and stopping. The fall resulted in injuries to his back and legs. [more on getting him to a mountain shelter] The patient was reassessed, immobilized on a backboard and transported to Pinkham Notch via snowcat where he was transferred to an ambulance and brought to the hospital. We later learned that the patient fractured two vertebrae in his lower back and had numerous sprains and contusions

Lessons Learned: This was the third sliding fall injury in three days that may have been prevented with a quick self arrest. The surface that all of these occurred on is a very hard icy snowpack from the January thaw, which is difficult to stop on. If you don't arrest your fall immediately you will get out of control fast."

Yeah, sliding 150ft down ice covered mountain into a tree would be painful.

-----
Sometimes, people aren't so lucky:

"01-18-2008: At 9:20 pm on January 18 the USFS Snow Rangers were informed that a solo climber was overdue from his climb in Huntington Ravine. The overdue climber had signed into the winter climbers register at Pinkham Notch with the plan of climbing Central Gully in Huntington Ravine. According to his friends who reported him overdue, he had experience in many gullies in Huntington Ravine and had talked about Odell Gully as another option for his day.

A team searched the access routes into Huntington Ravine between 10:00 pm and midnight on the 18th. Due to snow stability concerns, search teams didn’t enter avalanche terrain until first light the next day to begin searching Huntington Ravine. Shortly after sunrise, the missing climber’s body was found in avalanche debris below Odell Gully. The climber was on top of the debris and died as a result of being avalanched out of Odell Gully. He was put in a technical litter, lowered 500 ft to the floor of the Ravine and transported to Pinkham Notch by the USFS snowcat."

Interesting phrasing: "died as a result of being avalanched out of Odell Gully" You don't often here that as a verb, but, it's common in these incident reports... of course, solo hiking under gale force winds and snow in avalanche conditions is probably not going to win a lot of sympathy.

For your reading pleasure:
http://www.tuckerman.org/accident/accident.htm

- Ron

#128973 - 04/01/08 04:57 PM Re: The Best Disclaimer. EVER. [Re: Be_Prepared]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
"Yeah, sliding 150ft down ice covered mountain into a tree would be painful."

I can remember learn to ski, and hitting a tree at a sub walking pace. THAT hurt (but no long term injuries). When I read "sliding 150ft into a tree" my first thought was OUCH. I pictured both legs compound, plus the back, so I guess you could say "he got lucky"

I too planned a hike up there, but never got there. Now with my limited mobility and other health problems, I'll probably never get to hike again - anyplace.

The good news is I have dropped 27lbs (with a LONG way to go) but my leg is still messed up (MRSA infecting an ulcer is NOT a fun thing)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#128981 - 04/01/08 06:06 PM Re: The Best Disclaimer. EVER. [Re: KG2V]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Hey kc2ixe, good job on losing the 27 pounds!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#128990 - 04/01/08 09:51 PM Re: The Best Disclaimer. EVER. [Re: Blast]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Blast
Hey kc2ixe, good job on losing the 27 pounds!

-Blast

Thanks

Frankly, I'm well into the morbidly obese range. I've dropped to mere "overweight" before (and most of that would have went away with a panulectomy (aka removing the excess skin). I'm trying again.

I've been 'on the list' for bariatric surgery, but until my leg is healed (can take years) it's no go, and the Dr wanted me to lose 25 or so lbs before the surgery anyway.

I'm going to try to take as much off as I can before hand
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.