The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#52334 - 10/26/05 05:02 AM Re: K&M Matchcases - ETS Quick Review
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
Schwert,

If the creator is open to suggestions...

Very nice cases. I would like to see one sans compass to hold tinder, firestarter, etc. I don't know if leaving the compass off makes it any easier to increase the length.

Good luck, TR

#52335 - 10/27/05 08:50 AM Re: K&M Matchcases - ETS Quick Review
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Pizzaman & Schwert

I was thinking too if the creator was open to a suggestion.

Could this case be adapted to be a battery storage case. I, like many have surefire torches and other led lights which use CR123's. Up til now I've not been able to find a suitable container to house my spares. This little package looks like it's just what I've been looking for. Will have to check dimensions and such when I get my first order. But if the creator (Keith) could do his own range all the better.

#52336 - 10/27/05 03:42 PM Re: K&M Matchcases - ETS Quick Review
stevez Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
Be careful. Aluminum is a conductor of electricity. Make sure that you don't complete a circuit when you install the batteries and close the lid.

Sorry, as a former safety inspector, I had to say that.

Surefire makes a CR123 battery carrier. I'm sure that there are others as well.

I'm not knocking the K&M matchcase at all - I own two of them. As far as I'm concerned, they're the best match cases available.

#52337 - 10/27/05 07:14 PM Re: K&M Matchcases - ETS Quick Review
nelstomlinson Offline

Loc: Juneau, Alaska
For exactly that reason, I use a Coghlan's plastic match safe to hold two spare CR123s. There is just room for something like a $20 wrapped around the batteries, and just room in the end for a very thin piece of foam to stop endwise rattle. Plus, it only cost $1.19 at the local store.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductD...gory_rn=4500638
and countycomm.com has what I think is the same thing for $1.00:
http://www.countycomm.com/matchcase.htm .

#52338 - 10/27/05 07:22 PM Re: K&M Matchcases - ETS Quick Review
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
Cool. Thanks for the link. Holds two CR123, you say... perfect match (heh) for my HDS U60.

#52339 - 10/27/05 07:35 PM Re: K&M Matchcases - ETS Quick Review
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
A standard K&M case will only hold one CR123a lithium. The stopper is set too deep in the case to allow a pair. If Keith does do a longer verison for the REI matches then it may work....however I too would caution the use as a conductor. Adding some insulating bits on the stopper base and case bottom would probably work, but I carry a SureFire case for my spares or use a plastic tube with press fit plugs.

Thanks for the orders folks.

Keith has advised me that all or most of his red cases are going for a large order and by my count there is only one yellow case left. He is doing a recount, but for now I would probably advise that the standard brass, black aluminum and special order clear aluminum would be the choices.

#52340 - 10/28/05 01:57 AM Re: K&M Matchcases - Battery case idea
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone thought of using an Otterbox Cigar caddy for a battery case.
I havent seen one, and I dont have access to one to have a look.
Has anybody seen one, and what do you think as a battery case?

www.otterbox.com/products/cigar_caddy/index.htm

#52341 - 10/28/05 03:30 AM Re: K&M Matchcases - Battery case idea
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Thought about it, that's about it.

My idea was to find one that would hold a small light that would run on a AA or AAA, 8-10 AAs, 4-6 AAAs, 4 CR123s, and as needed, one or two A23s and a couple of larger coin batteries. Just ended up being a bit bigger than I really wanted to use, and thust I never bought the case.

I'd also look at the new, 10XX microcase line from Pelican.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#52342 - 10/28/05 09:55 AM Re: K&M Matchcases - ETS Quick Review
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Stevez

Understood about the circuit, was going to insert some fibre washers to act as insulators, thus preventing a circuit from occuring. Don't want my spares to discharge prematurely.

I've seen the Surefire cases but I didn't want to carry six batteries, I thought two would be enough. I have an E1e with KL1 Led head, so on run time one battery in the torch plus two spares should see me through most things. Besides I like the form factor and compass feature of this tube. If they where made a little longer, then I think this would be a good combination.

The other plastic matchcase is worth exploring as a battery case and cheap to, I'll check it out.

#52343 - 10/28/05 02:22 PM Re: K&M Matchcases - ETS Quick Review/battery carr
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
While I think the best way to carry 123-size batteries & a SureFire lamp is to use the SF Spares Carrier, it is bulky.

I've found that a Kodak Advantix film cannister (oval shaped) will hold 2x123 batteries just fine. Add a piece of gaffer's or duct tape to keep the lid on, & you're good to go. BTW, the Fuji cases won't work...they're slightly smaller than the Kodak.

You can pick up the cases at practically any photo processing shop, free.

David

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.