The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#51870 - 10/13/05 11:29 PM Re: Mobile Phone for the Emergency Kit
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I think I've got mine set to prefer Verizon but if it can't get a tower it should roam. Their current plans are essentially no roaming that I've noticed.

What is the construction of Grand Central Station? Was the downstairs below grade?

#51871 - 10/14/05 01:05 AM Re: Mobile Phone for the Emergency Kit
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
The 1 year expiration on the cards I was looking at were all for the high value cards...~$100 or more. The less expensive cards had 90 day expirations. I cannot exactly remember what the cost for the one year expiration card was for the Trac phone but it definately was not available on the cheaper cards.

#51872 - 10/14/05 01:53 AM Re: Mobile Phone for the Emergency Kit
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Yes, it's below grade. Just like the subways in Wahington DC and Toronto where the cell phones work fine.

www.grandcentralterminal.com

#51873 - 10/14/05 02:50 AM Re: Mobile Phone for the Emergency Kit
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
How do you know it wasn't intentionally disabled? Especially after the London bombings. See anyone else on a cell phone?

#51874 - 10/14/05 06:00 AM Re: Mobile Phone for the Emergency Kit-Oz Phones
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Unlike Europe, and I assume Oz, American GSM phones are network specific so you can't swap out SIM cards to switch carriers. Bummer, huh?

We have that problem with some phones, but I will explain shortly. I have a magazine (around here somewhere) from the US explaining how to unlock some of your phones. When (if) I find it I will post up some details.

Quote:
But then again, the US wireless companies heavily subsidize their phones so that they are much less than the actual price. It's shocking how expensive "unlocked" phones cost sometimes. Do overseas carriers subsidize phones when their phones could end up being used on another carrier?

Yes we get some phones subsidized, but they mostly fall into 2 catagories. We have pre-paid or plan purchases. Most pre-paid are locked to a network they can be unlocked for a fee (detirmined by the phone company) so they are basically throw away. If you purchase a mobile on a plan, the phone is usually unlocked, but you sign up for a 2 year contract. If you want out of the contract you pay exit fees.
There are 3 major GSM phone carriers here, and most of the others smaller companies use these 3 networks. There is limited roaming between these 3.(basically dont bother)
So you can buy 3 pre-paid cards and use them in an emergency. The longest lasting pre-paid lasts for 12 months and you loose what credit you havent used, then you have to recharge it.
I actually buy my phones outright and dont sign up for a contract. That gives my the flexability to swap companies when they give me the @$%$s
Also if you add up the costs it can be quite scarry to sign up for 2 years so money wise I'm not far behind. Tried contracts, not for me and pre-paid is too expensive for what I use.
We also have CDMA but there is only 1 CDMA network and the others resell it.
We basically have little coverage out side of the metropolitan areas and some locals have had to get a phone with satelite backup, so they have either GSM or CDMA when they are in range but swap to satelite outside of that area.

If you want an unlocked phone, you could try is contact the importers of the phones direct and see what they can do, or order a phone out of Hong Kong from ebay (after checking the seller)
The other thing you could try is getting software to reprogram your phone and unlock it.
I read some where about someone who travelled from the US to europe somewhere and walked in and had his phone reprogramed and unlocked to use their local system. For a fee.

#51875 - 10/14/05 11:45 PM Re: Mobile Phone for the Emergency Kit
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Possibly there were repeaters like the shortwave bands or like the police radios?

#51876 - 10/15/05 10:40 AM Re: Mobile Phone for the Emergency Kit
Xterior Offline

A recent example why it is good to have a mobile phone around, from the UK . Although it would be better to avoid this situation.

Edited by Xterior (10/15/05 10:41 AM)

#51877 - 10/16/05 01:55 AM Re: Mobile Phone for the Emergency Kit-Oz Phones
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I have a magazine (around here somewhere) from the US explaining how to unlock some of your phones. When (if) I find it I will post up some details.
Sorryy I cant find this magazine. I have probably thrown it out.
It cant remember which magazine it was in. It could have been a T3 or one of the other communication/phone/gadget based magazines.
You might be ale to get info from one of their web sites.

#51878 - 10/16/05 06:18 AM Re: TracFone / A better way to pay
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually there's a better (cheaper) way to pay...

Go to the trac phone web site, www.tracfone.com & look up Autopay Options. After purchasing air time, you can keep your account active for $7.99 a month. If you use the phone only for emergencies, this is the way to go.

Forget the 90 day thing!

Hope this Helps

#51879 - 10/16/05 06:22 AM Re: Mobile Phone for the Emergency Kit
Dean Offline
Stranger

Loc: Davis, CA
I have my wife's old cell phone, it's a Motorola V120T. We don't have a service plan for it any longer but when I charged up the battery and turned it on it seems to be working. Can I use this as a Tracfone? How would I get minutes for it? I don't want to start a service contract for it but would not mind keeping it in the car for emergencies.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.