Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#5214 - 04/08/02 06:44 PM Re: Dis/Advantages of medicine....
Anonymous
Unregistered

You mention several things that you would not carry due to bulk and then mention several items that are actually bulky in a first aid kit that is carried everyday. I would suggest that there is nothing that will make a real differnce from a medical perspective that will fit comfortably in your pockets.<br>I have always carried the stuff that I need to open an airway in my car: laryngoscope, blades, endotracheal tubes, and paralytic drugs. Also carry epinephrine in my car when I don't have a trauma bag.<br>From a practical standpoint, dressings will not prevent a patient from bleeding to death and ipecac and charcoal will not "save" a poisoned patient. In my emergency kit, I don't carry ipecac and can't remember the last time in the ER that we used charcoal.<br>Your comment about education and experience is most valuable. The most important preparation that you can have for emergency medical care is training.

#5215 - 04/08/02 06:50 PM Re: Dis/Advantages of medicine....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would have thought the ER would have advised you to bring Junior in for a tylenol level rather than administer ipecac. Once ipecac is administered, then the specific treatment for acetominophen overdose/toxicity can not be given orally.<br>

#5216 - 04/08/02 08:21 PM Re: Dis/Advantages of medicine....
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
This happened about 12 years ago. I don't know if that makes a difference (probobly not). <br><br>The vial also contained other meds that my wife carries, such as Marex [spell?], Benedril and a few others. So I suspect that there was enough potential variety that he or she decided to just purge it all from his stomach. <br><br>Actually, I even have my doubts that he even took one tablet. He had opened the container and dumped them on the floor while he went on playing with other items in her purse. There was no way of counting to determine if he took any, but there seemed to enough left to indicate that he had not. We also did not find any trace in his mouth. Although both assuptions are inconclusive, we felt reasonably sur that if he did take any, it was a small amount.<br><br>Or maybe we just didn't get one of the better folks on staff.<br><br>But I will NEVER forget the physically demanding process that the ipecac brought on. I would never want to put myself through that unless I absolutely had to do so.

#5217 - 04/08/02 08:47 PM Re: Dis/Advantages of medicine....
Pat_Galea Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Beachdoc wrote: "there is NO question in any medical circle that aspirin should be given to a person with chest pain suspected of having a cardiac origin."<br><br>Sorry Beachdoc, I may be being a little dense here, so just for me... ;-)<br><br>Are you saying that the three drugs you listed (aspirin, acetominophen, and ibuprofen) are interchangable even for the treatment of the suspected cardiac problem?<br><br>I only ask because I went on a first aid course last year, and we were told specifically to administer *only* aspirin in this case.<br><br>Regards, Pat Galea

#5218 - 04/08/02 11:09 PM Re: Dis/Advantages of medicine....
Anonymous
Unregistered

No you were correct. Aspirin is useful to limit the "stickiness" of platelets in the blood that otherwise might get together to form a clot.<br>From a pain relief standpoint, I don't think one is "stronger" than another, and that includes all of the patent pain remedies that are pushed on the unsuspecting public. If I were to be stranded on an island with a choice of aspirin or tylenol I would elect the aspirin only because of it's anti-inflammatory effects. Now with ibuprofen an OTC drug I would select it or Aleve (longer acting than ibuprofen)

#5219 - 04/09/02 06:44 AM Re: Dis/Advantages of medicine....
Pat_Galea Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Many thanks for the clarification!<br><br>I always carry ibuprofen as my painkiller of choice for myself. For some reason, I find it massively more effective than any other OTC medicine. And it seems to clear up a whole host of associated symptoms at the same time. (And it appears to give me a small 'high', but that could be just imaginary because the pain has gone! ;-) )<br><br>Regards, Pat Galea

#5220 - 04/10/02 04:12 AM Re: Water
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Anyone familiar with the Steri-Pen, a monochromatic low pressure UV (245nm) purifier? I read the provided test reports and at first glance, it seems to be legitimate... website is here

#5221 - 04/10/02 07:23 AM Re: Dis/Advantages of medicine....
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
None taken. :-)<br><br>I'm a family physician in private practice in Singapore.<br>My Qualifications are M.B.,B.S. (eq. to M.D. )<br><br>Of course if you have pre-existing liver damage or liver cirrhosis then the dosage of acetaminophen should be reduced. But generally we out here in asia prefer acetaminophen as the first drug of choice.<br><br>Chris

#5222 - 04/10/02 03:06 PM Re: Water
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Yes, I have just puchased one. Since I work in a laboratory, I have tested the pen aganst two organisms. E.coli and a Proteus species, both commonly found in fecal contaminated water. The test was strickly qualitative, I made a very heavy suspension of the two organisms (way beyond what would be encountered in nature). After the first expouse with the pen, I was still able to culture viable organisms, however, the numbers of organism was significanly reduced. I exposed the solution to a second dose of the UV, this time no viable organisms were recovered. If the claims of the manufacter are valid the pen has a broad spectum of kill. The pen is however expensive.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.