Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#51584 - 10/10/05 02:47 PM Ideal stainless steel wire gauge
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Quote:
Any wire can be used for making repairs etc. but brass or stainless steel wire is easier to use for a snare, and wont corrode as fast as steel wire.

BTW I was looking for getting more stainless steel utility wire as the one in Doug's PSP. I found 22 GA S/S wire at Canadian Tire in the hunting department. Just a little detail: the wire in Doug's PSP is 0.020" that is 24 GA. 22 GA is 0.025" which means it's thicker. Is 22 GA still appropriate for snare wire or does it become too heavy to cut without a multi-tool?

Thanks

#51585 - 10/10/05 03:14 PM Re: Survival kit guidance
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
The biggest thing is to know your area. I live in WV where we flood and have winter storms as our two biggest natural disasters. When I moved here I shopped for a house that was above the floodplain. This minimizes my exposure to the threat of floods and was done naturally by me because I think about those kinds of things. The other natural disaster is winter storms, which I prepare for each fall by going over my checklist to make sure I have all the bases covered for the coming winter. I find that being ready for this kinds of things makes you ready to face most other things that are likely to come your way.

#51586 - 10/10/05 04:42 PM Re: Survival kit guidance
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
This is my favorite kind of question. We all feel confident that we have something to offer someone new. Some of the questions get so esoteric that only an expert could guess an answer.

If you look at the top right corner you can go to the ETS Home Page. There you will see a two books listed: "Deep Survival" and "98.6 The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive." Both of these book should be in your public library. If you read them you will know more than 99% of the general public about survival. Here is a link to Cody Lundin's book: Cody Lundin "98.6"

Please fill in some of the personal data. It would be good to know what state you live in.

#51587 - 10/10/05 05:05 PM Re: Survival kit guidance
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Quote:
As far a compass goess, since i know that straight ahead is north. Do I need to get an mental picture of where I am located on a map and try to head towards a town? or do i keep track of where I am going in the first place. BTW I am direction handicapped....I turn 3 times in a circle I am lost. haha!

Go to this web site:
http://www.olou.org/

Find their next event and show up. This is the best way to learn to use a map and compass.

#51588 - 10/10/05 08:38 PM Re: Survival kit guidance
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Quote:
This is not something that will happen overnight -- it is a quest of a lifetime.

Amen to that. I wonder how many lifetimes I have.

-- Craig

#51589 - 10/11/05 12:33 AM Re: Ideal stainless steel wire gauge
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just went to the fishing shop and got some stainless steel leader wire. Im not sure of the gauge but it came in 3 meter lengths.
I dont have access to a lot of suppliers and this was the best I found n my area.
I always carry a multi tool and this cuts it fine.

#51590 - 10/11/05 03:26 AM Re: Survival kit guidance
Anonymous
Unregistered

This survival stuff is just a solution to one of life’s many problems. I have found life in general to be a giant pain in the ass. Preparation can make a major calamity into a minor irritation. I have made a wide variety of mistakes, so I try to arrange things so that I don’t have the same problem coming up over & over. Example: spare keys, tools in truck, useful items for EDC, etc. Reading is the main way we learn what others know. There is good advice elsewhere on this forum about learning by doing. There is no substitute for experience. Don’t be an armchair “expert”. You’re never too old to learn. You have to evaluate problems in terms of probability and consequences. A home invasion is extremely unlikely, but would be a disaster of epic proportions. A leak in the cellar is more likely, but it probably wouldn’t kill anybody. Thus, I plan more extensively for the one and less for the other. You have to learn which “experts” really know their stuff, and which are full of hot air. One advantage we have is that we know we don’t know everything. The ones that run into trouble are the ones that don’t ask questions and just assume everything will be ok. “Normal” can come unraveled very rapidly. The fact that you’re asking is a sign that you are thinking about the world as it really is, not how it appears at first glance.

#51591 - 10/11/05 04:03 AM Re: Survival kit guidance
Anonymous
Unregistered

VERY WELL SAID!!!

#51592 - 10/11/05 06:50 AM Re: Survival kit guidance
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
The traditional snare wire has been brass. Strong enough to serve as a snare to catch food. It is plyable enough to work with the hands alone. Stainlees wire whlie stronger is not as plyable. If you have tools such as a multitool you can form the needed twists to form the sliding loop to make a snare but very hard useing just your fingers.

As for compasses using it well will only come with traing and practice. The suggestion seem tio be pointing you into good directions on how to use it properly. But the basic thing knowing north from south can keep you traveling in a relatively straight line anywhere between the two. While this may not get you to where you want to go. It will keep you going in the general direction to maybe near enough so that you can find what you want.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#51593 - 10/13/05 03:56 PM Re: Survival kit guidance
Kuovonne Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, TX
Quote:
A home invasion is extremely unlikely, but would be a disaster of epic proportions. A leak in the cellar is more likely, but it probably wouldn’t kill anybody. Thus, I plan more extensively for the one and less for the other.

Out of curiosity, which one would you plan more for? The home invasion or the leak in the cellar? Personally, if I could plan for only one, I'd plan for the more likely scenario; however, my DH would probably plan for the more severe scenario.

I'm really attached to my creature comforts, and to me being prepared is more about staying comfortable in the more likely, but less severe scenarios, versus, staying alive in very unlikely scenarios. DH is of the opposite mind so we are probably prepared in either case. Fortunately, most of the things that I deem important for comfort, DH agrees will also be good to have in a major emergency.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.