Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#51167 - 10/06/05 01:04 PM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from South East Asia)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trusbx, thanks for the wise words. I think we on this forum sometimes get so focused on the gear and gak of preparedness that we lose site of the most important aspect of all in being prepared...our bodies.

As an interesting aside, Toronto, Canada is right now suffering an outbreak of an, as yet undetermined, respiratory virus in a nursing home. Toronto had 44 deaths to SARS in 2003 and what is happening right now is reminder of that event. So far, 16 have died and another 80 are infected, including several staff and two visitors to the home.

You can follow the unfolding story on www.ctv.ca if you're interested.

#51169 - 10/06/05 04:00 PM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from Canada)
Anonymous
Unregistered

What gets me the most is our officials’ stupidity. In any outbreak time is of the essence. Yet we get comments like these:
Quote:
Six now dead, dozens ill in T.O. mystery outbreak

Toronto health officials are scrambling to reassure the public that the mystery illness claiming lives at a Toronto nursing home is not out of control, despite the fact the death toll has continued to rise... ( Oct 4th)

Makes me feel safe & cozy !?!?

Quote:
Mystery T.O. outbreak Despite repeated assurances the mysterious illness at a Toronto nursing home is contained and on the wane, the city is being painfully reminded of the 2003 SARS outbreak.

According to the city's medical officer of health, Dr. David McKeown, the virulent respiratory infection that has claimed 16 lives and sickened more than 80 others is no cause for alarm. (Oct 6th)

I'd hate to see what happens when things are out of control. From 6 to 16 dead in two days - but things are not out of control !?!? I wish they would explain, so I can understand ...

Hope this is the end of it:
Quote:
"This outbreak is a severe example of what is really a very common problem," Dr. McKeown told CTV's Canada AM, acknowledging the outbreak at Seven Oaks Home for the Aged is the deadliest to strike an Ontario nursing home since 1998.

"There are about 1,000 outbreaks of this type in long-term care facilities every year (in Ontario), though few of them reach the proportions that this one has."

With no new cases reported in the last 24 hours, McKeown said early Thursday that he knows transmission of the illness is "slowing down and stopping."

"We started from a peak of about 20 cases a day late last week to -- in the past 24 hours -- no new cases. That's how we know."

Since the outbreak began on Sept. 25, 70 residents, 13 employees and five visitors have become ill. Of the 38 who remain in hospital, 34 are Seven Oaks residents, two are staff, and two were visitors to the east end nursing home.

#51170 - 10/06/05 05:49 PM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from South East Asia)
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
Here's info re: Relnza

from GSK (manufacturer): http://www.gsk.com/products/relenza_us.htm

from the FDA: http://www.fda.gov/cder/news/relenza/default.htm

#51171 - 10/06/05 09:51 PM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from Canada)
Anonymous
Unregistered

We had an outbreak of avian flu here in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia last February. Over 17 million chickens and turkeys were killed (depopulated) in order to quarantine it. The result was total chaos, with body fluids leaking from trucks hauling the dead carcases for hundreds of miles. If you wanted to spread the flu, you couldn't have found a more effective method. Crows and other carrion eaters had a feast on the infected fluids and body parts that fell off the trucks. In the end, it was contained, but it was lesson in how not to handle an outbreak.

Nobody got the avian flu, but a couple of farm workers came down with some mild flu like symptoms during the depopulation...gotta love that word...process. If we perform that poorly on chickens, imagine how we'll do with human beings.

#51172 - 10/06/05 10:09 PM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from Canada)
BigAssDiesel Offline
Journeyman

As others said, wash, wash, wash, wash your hands. I got some Tamiflu on the off chance my family contracts the flu. As a Paramedic, I feel confident in catching the signs if they become infected. We are all getting flu shots and I am drilling into there heads to wash, wash, wash your hands. And do not though your face. Also, as a prophylactic, I am having all family members take an elderberry pill daily.

#51173 - 10/06/05 10:13 PM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from Canada)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a big believer in flu shots. Since we've started taking them (3 years), we haven't seen a major flu in our house. And you're right...wash, wash, wash and don't touch your face.

#51174 - 10/07/05 12:06 PM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from Canada)
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I am just the opposite. I found that I have not gotten the flu when I am exercising and getting enough sleep (8 hrs for me). Anything less and the flu rate goes up. I have not had the flu shot since 1992 either.

Regards,
Bill

#51175 - 10/07/05 01:49 PM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from Canada)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well this may be the end of it : Mystery solved in home deaths

Legionnaires' disease
Quote:
"The name of this disease might make people nervous, but here's what it means: This disease cannot be transferred from person to person," Miller said. "There is not, and there never was, a threat to the general population. This disease is environmental. It is not contagious."

#51176 - 10/07/05 02:13 PM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from Canada)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I cant get that link.

Legionnaires is common in dirt, but it gets dangerous when it gets into the right conditions in air conditioners etc and infects after being inhaled.

I could be a sign of bad maintanence in the nursing home.

#51177 - 10/07/05 10:42 PM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from Canada)
Anonymous
Unregistered

The latest, according to my news (ctv.ca), is that they are using only bottled water for consumption, cooking and washing as Legionaires can also live in hot water tanks. They are also going over the air conditioning system. They claim they can't move residents out of the building becuse many of them are very old and frail.

They suspect this may be a variant of the regular Legionaires bacteria, which is why it took them so long to figure out what it was.

So far, 17 have died and 70 residents, 18 staff and 9 visitors are infected. This is one nasty bacteria.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.