Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#51157 - 10/05/05 02:39 PM Re: Bird Flu ?
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Headlines report groundwork being laid to allow military to act in flu-related enforcement role.

#51158 - 10/05/05 07:48 PM Re: Bird Flu ?
BigAssDiesel Offline
Journeyman

Groo and all, if you wait for the flu to get here, I dont think there will be any Tamiflu left. Reference last years flu shot shortage. I went to my doctor today and begged him to write me a prescription for my family of 4. He thinks I am an idiot but I got 4 doses for my family.

#51159 - 10/05/05 07:51 PM Re: Bird Flu ?
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
How long is it good for? The tamiflu, not the prescription. Someone else mentioned shelf life.

#51160 - 10/05/05 09:28 PM Re: Bird Flu ?
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
I'm glad someone mentioned this here. I was hoping to gather some insight as to what to do, as well.

Did anyone catch the President's press conference? He mentioned how if the pandemic flu hits the U.S., it would be necessary to have the executive power to mobilize the military in order to quarantine a massive number of civilians quickly. Or something like that. He also mentioned the steps that the government was taking to prevent a possible outbreak (stuff on the medical side of things). If anyone has any further info to add, please go ahead.

I'm not counting on being able to get Tamiflu. So I guess the best course of action is....washing my hands often?

#51161 - 10/05/05 10:34 PM Re: Bird Flu ?
BigAssDiesel Offline
Journeyman

Tamiflu is by prescription, it is made by Roche Pharmacueticals.

#51162 - 10/05/05 11:48 PM Re: Bird Flu ?
ljh Offline
Stranger

Here some info about avian flu and Tamiflu meds
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/09/3...reut/index.html

#51163 - 10/05/05 11:55 PM Re: Bird Flu ?
ljh Offline
Stranger

#51164 - 10/06/05 06:23 AM Re: Bird Flu ?
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Interesting article here, in NY Times. Just been determined that the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic (as Billy Guttery pointed out, above, actually originated in the US) was a bird flu that jumped directly to humans.

Mother Nature does like to play with us.

#51165 - 10/06/05 09:57 AM Re: Bird Flu ?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
That's interesting, for years now scientists claimed the 1918 pandemic came from a mutated porcine virus.

Folks, I think we are on the threshold of finally developing a remedy/therapy that can immunize humans from viral infections in the future. I can foresee the engineering of an antagonistic strain of virus that readily recombines with other strains and renders them harmless.

#51166 - 10/06/05 11:25 AM Re: Bird Flu ? (perspective from South East Asia)
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Just a perspective from me here in South East Asia, Singapore. We have had SARS and now avian Infulenza is looming in neighbouring Indonesia. When Indonesia (who usually deny that there is anything wrong with the country) states that they have a problem with containing the avian influenza, we best all sit up and listen.

It can be highly contagious (even more so than SARS) and most governments in this region including the Australian govenrment have been stockpiling Tamiflu and more recently Relenza. Both are neuraminidase inhibitors and short circuit the viral replication process. It's not like they are THE CURE or anything, its just that it's them or nothing! Influenza has become mostly resistant to Amantadine (the previous antiviral) and in time will also become resistant to these two drugs.

Bottom line, most adults with a healthy immune system will probably be OK, it's the elderly, children and people with chronic medical conditions like heart ailments, asthma or other pulmonary conditions who will probably be worse off.

There is no need for the man in the street to panic or stockpile medication. You can't tell if you do have the flu for sure and the window period to treat the flu with these medications is about 48h. Beyond that, the drugs are useless.

SO:
1. Get your flu shots
2. Proper sleep and well balanced diet (no, not Domino's)
3. Exercise helps your immunity

If the flu does hit and an epidemic does occur:
1. Quarantine enforced or otherwise is the way to go. No use yelling about rights and civil liberties. It is the only way to contain the virus. Here in Singapore during SARS, we were [censored] about the 'police state' and 'big brother' enforcing the home quarantine, but in hindsight these tough measures saved many more lives.

2. Antivirals can help - as to how much, leave it to your doc. No use stockpiling. you wouldn't know when to use it.

3. Personal Protective equipment - probably more for front line medical staff like me, paramedicpete etc. N95/N99 maks, goggles, gown, gloves etc

4. Personal hygiene

5. Oh and did I mention....get your flu shot.

HTH

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 351 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.