Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5094 - 03/28/02 11:27 PM Re: urban PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Schwert,<br>This is just the sort of information I was looking for! Thanks!<br><br>You definately have a bunch of gear there!. I noticed a great redundancy in writing gear. Is that occupational or do you consider that a survival issue? Why?<br>You certainly have the communications issues covered with the radios and repeater knowledge - Great example.<br>Your methods of carry are as important as what you carry. Seems to me that you are very well prepared but would look pretty normal as an urbanite with the Filsons vest concealing most of the items. I am in the process of ordering one of those #8 filson vests. I must say that they are very accomodating. With the trial garment option to get the sizing right and all. I will probably keep the tin-cloth version that I am using for sizing anyhow since we get a rather warm and humid summer here in NH. Thanks for putting me onto Filsons - Great place but those prices! definately not something I am going to buy a lot of.

#5095 - 03/29/02 12:10 AM Re: urban PSK?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
MiniMe,<br><br>I am glad you appreciated the super long post. I was sort of hesitant to burden everyone with my list of junk....but hey I am not the first smile.<br><br>Among my collection of eccentric behaviors I collect and use fine fountain pens. I am also an amateur sketch artist so I have a bunch of pencils and a sketch pad. I sort of figure that if we have another earthquake and I get to sit outside for as long as last time I might as well sketch the crowd, the piles of bricks or whatever. Really my daily bag and kit is more than just survival gear, I carry my hobbies and the things that I like using. The pens pencils writing material etc cannot be construed as UPSK gear even by me. You may have also noted an abundance of cutting items...again an eccentric colllector, but a bit more directly useful.<br><br>Note the optional backsupport brace!<br><br>I guarantee that you will enjoy and treasure any clothing you purchase from Filson. The initial cash outlay is steep, but I have not yet worn out any Filson garment. I wear their shirts, vest and coat everyday. It gives me a "unique" sense of style, but I do it for the great function and value.<br><br>I recommend you size the Filson #8 vest one size larger than you may normally wear. All the junk in the back pocket and inside pockets adds a bit to your waistline.<br><br>I urge everyone to look into getting their HAM license. A Technician Class license is very easy to get. You do not have to know Morse Code anymore. The Tech license is ideally suited for local communications and participation in your community Auxillary Communication Service <br>(ACS) or Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES). Contact any repeater group in your local area or contact ARRL the Amateur Radio Relay League (www.arrl.com).<br><br><br>Very few people are aware of the number and type of items I carry everwhere. The vest and multiple pockets keep everything distributed around my Michellin Man profile!<br><br>Randy<br>

#5096 - 03/29/02 01:04 AM Re: urban PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did notice the abundance of blades. I was wondering what a Jack the Ripper knife is? Can you post a link to a picture or a retailer? What makes this knife so interesting to you?<br><br>I agree with you in encouraging everyone to get their HAM license. Got mine last november and I am having a blast. Membership in any of the various civilian emergency communications groups can only help.<br><br>I didn't notice any sidearms in your list. Did I miss anything?<br><br>How much does all that weigh? Fully loaded vest? Briefcase?<br><br>Which of the Filson's coats have you got?

#5097 - 03/29/02 01:49 AM Re: urban PSK?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

MiniMe,<br><br>A Jack the Ripper knife is an emergency response tool designed to cut shroud lines, seat belts, etc without an exposed cutting edge. There are a number of these types of knives at www.para-gear.com (item K16909, $12, item K11505 $6, item K11610 $29). My friend jumps out of perfectly good aircraft, and introduced me to these. I also have a Spyderco Rescue knife that I sometimes carry, but this JtR knife is TOTALLY non-threating, inexpensive, light weight, and very useful in extracting people from cars, or cutting clothing like pant legs. It has two opposing razor blades in a plastic handle and works with a pull action.<br><br>Firearms are absolutely not allowed at my worksite. Useful, I agree, but I need this job. My collection of edged devices is risky enough, but does not absolutely violate my company policies.<br><br>I have not weighed any of my items exactly. The vest loaded as described rides well and I am guessing comes in at about 5-6 pounds. My Daily carry bag is really too heavy. I am guessing it goes at about 20 pounds. I am constantly looking at it but cannot slim it down.<br><br>I know I can carry this bag and other assorted junk to my wifes worksite on foot. I have done this several times just for the exercise.<br><br>I wear the Filson Original Hunting Coat in waxed Tin Cloth Style 66. This was stiff as a board when new, cannot be washed so be prepared to acquire "character", but works well in our climate. I can wear a sweater under and be set for just about any conditions in Seattle (hey it is not NH). During the late spring and summer I leave this coat at my desk so I always have it.<br><br>Take a look at the Filson site and look at the Waterfowler series, Packers and Outfitter series. I am fortunate to work about 3 blocks from their store and have been drooling on a Packer.<br><br>Randy

#5098 - 03/29/02 04:21 AM Re: urban PSK?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>For me a hiking staff (or walking stick in urban mode) is a virtual essential with numerous uses, one of which could be self defense<p><hr></blockquote><p> That's the way I see it - too many uses to list. Since it sounds like that may not be fashionable for many folks to lug around / keep at work, how about scanning the office cleaning supplies closet for what might be adaptable and making mental note of that? Just another option...

#5099 - 03/29/02 09:04 AM Re: urban PSK?
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
At the risk of sounding like a lawyer...<br><br>I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of a walking stick / hiking staff / cane. It is a wonderfully useful tool. But note what I have called it. I do not ever refer to it as a club / baton / anything else remotely suggestive of a weapon, even though it might theoretically have such an possible application. <br><br>It is imperative that if one ever happens to talk to a law enforcement officer, that it be referred to only as the former. I do not mean that one should lie or mislead; only avoid terms relating to weapons and applications as such. Keep in mind that in many jurisdictions, carrying or even possessing a billy club, sap, or any of a whole host of weapons is a felony. Do not ever, facetiously or otherwise, do anything to indicate or suggest that it is anything but a walking stick / staff / cane.<br><br>I strongly urge against carrying or possessing anything such as a cane, umbrella, or the like which hides a stabbing / cutting instrument or other weapon. It is probably a felony in most jurisdictions.<br><br>I am not a criminal lawyer (only civil lawyer licensed to practice only in my own state), but my colleagues who are criminal practicioners assure me that many of their clients incriminate / entangle themselves with stupid statements or admissions. For instance, carrying a Mag-Lite for use as a flashlight is perfectly legal; on the other hand, carrying it for use as a club may be illegal. Incidentally, never volunteer statements / information in talking to a law enforcement officer. <br><br>And one final thought. Always be cautious about what you say in writing or otherwise. It really can and will be used against you.<br><br>Qualifying remarks (AKA legal weaseling):<br>These observations land in this thread, because it happens to consider such items. They are also a pet peave of mine and I probably drive my loved ones crazy with such cautions. These thoughts are put forth only generally and precautionarily, and not intended to criticize anyone, or for that matter even directed to anyone in particular. This is not legal advice or to anyone in particular since individual cases may vary. Most law enforcement officers are fine, fair, decent, ethical, humane people. But it does not make sense to verbally criminalize your own actions flagrantly. And of course consult a criminal lawyer in your own jurisdiction for information applicable to your personal situation. Law vary enormously from one state, community, or other jurisdiction to another.<br><br>Naturally I invite any criminal lawyers or law enforcement officers to feel free to comment / criticize / correct anything in this post as deemed appropriate. <br><br>In short, guys, be careful and legal.<br><br>John

#5100 - 03/29/02 03:27 PM Re: urban PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>The sense that I am getting is that the Urban situation requires more planning and less gear. Not just different gear.<<<br><br>The information requirements do seem more intensive. I’m not sure I understand where the impression of less gear comes from.. my UPSK is certainly larger (bulkier) than two of my “wilderness” PSKs, even though my “urban” focus is only on escaping from downtown out to home in the suburbs, and there is some overlap and spillover between the kit and the contents of my pouch and pockets. I haven’t tried counting items to see which has more, so perhaps by that measure it's less. Most of the extra bulk seems to come from the folding reading glasses (there's much more need to read in the city than in the woods) and the FM radio with “earbud” earphones, and, as I said elsewhere, a slightly larger compass with a nylon wristband. I’m hoping to cut the size of the radio, and thinking about doing away with the wristband and just clipping it to my watchband if needed.<br><br>>>Anyone who has assembled a kit that can post some pictures for us? or a complete inventory at least? <<<br><br>Sorry, no digital camera. I’ve posted the list before.. it hasn’t changed much, although what’s in the box and what’s out varies a bit over time. Unfortunately, if I’m facing metal detectors and x-ray machines (government buildings), a LOT gets left at home. <br><br>Currently in the box:<br><br>P-38 can opener<br>Watchband compass with nylon wrist strap.<br>Sewing kit: 2 needles, strong nylon thread (from a pack mfr), one needle threader (worth it’s weight, IMHO)<br>3 safety pins, 2 sizes<br>paper clip<br>Photon 3 (white)<br>Very small pen refill<br>10 “Write in the Rain” notebook sheets<br>photocopied map<br>List of phone numbers printed out from Palm software<br>Gerber LST lockback folder<br>2 X-acto blades<br>“permanent match” lighter (I sometimes switch back to a mini-bic)<br>BSA HotSpark <br>1 Coghlan’s tinder (in plastic wrap) <br>ACR emergency whistle (sturdy- but I sometimes switch to a “toy” whistle that’s smaller and louder)<br>REI “Featherweight” thin plastic mirror with signaling hole, trimmed a to size.<br>1 oven bag (for water)<br>tiny (Blue Line) vial with 20 Potable Aqua tablets, instructions on label <br>2 plastic/wire “twist ties”<br>Paper money<br>2 quarters and 2 dimes (phone)<br>mini-FM radio and earbuds<br>multi-fold reading glasses (currently Flapjacks)<br>10 feet of thin, flat nylon cord<br>3 nylon wire bundlers<br><br>I think that’s it for the box. I have carried a Leatherman Micra in there, but it’s too useful daily to keep locked up. Currently I have a Leatherman Mini in there, which has full-size needlenose pliers, screwdrivers, openers, small knife blade, etc. but folds to 2.75 inches long. The box itself is a plastic rectangular Tupperware container at the moment, about 7x4x1.75", but I have gotten it all, except the cord, in one of the SAS tins, and might go back. That just creates more hassle with x-ray machines, though. I'm always looking for ways to reduce the bulk.<br> <br>My wallet contains another oven bag and two more twist ties, another P38 can opener, a tiny silver ballpoint pen, and a credit card Fresnel lens which I mostly hope will help if I lose all my reading glasses, and of course credit and debit cards, ID, etc. My keycase has another BSA HotSpark with heatshrink tubing to protect the rod. <br><br>My pockets almost always contain more cash, a Leatherman Micra, a Windmill lighter, and depending on where I’m going, possibly a larger folding knife. I never leave the house without my cell phone (Motorola Startac, folding, very small), on the belt unless I’m running, in which case it’s in a waterproof neck pouch. Again, depending on where I’m going, the belt may also hold a Leatherman Wave, the Palm (Pilot), or a folding knife. I usually have another pair of reading glasses in a shirt pocket, or, more usually, stuck in the neck of a polo shirt.<br><br>My shoulder pouch, aside from books, magazines, work related stuff, always carries a Platypus collapsible water bottle, a really small and flat Totes pocket umbrella, small roll of duct tape, sunglasses, map books, a couple of “lawn and leaf” plastic bags, a fleece cap and neck gaiter, more spare reading glasses, more and heavier cord, a “Write in the Rain” notebook, more pens, another compass, a full bottle of Potable Aqua tablets, a black silk bandana, and usually the UPSK box itself. It sometimes carries the Palm and/or the Leatherman Wave, if they’re not on belt or in vest pockets. In winter the pouch carries some MyCoal Grabber disposable heating pads and fingerless fleece gloves that aren't very effective and I need to upgrade.<br><br>I have a Suunto Yachtsman watch (compass, logging barometer, thermometer) that I sometimes wear for casual, but it's not really suitable for my work. YMMV.<br><br>There’s a LOT more stuff in the vehicle if I have access to it- shelter, hats, handheld CB radio, shovel.. I’m not going to inventory that unless someone needs it. Taking the subway downtown, the vehicle can be very far away, and as other have pointed out, you can never be sure of access to it.<br><br>I’ve probably missed something. Suggestions welcome. <br>

#5101 - 03/29/02 03:46 PM Personal Disaster Experience ( Re: urban PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for posting. Most of us are just speculating based on personal near-misses and situations that didn’t become critical on the one hand, and events that happened to others as reported by unreliable media on the other. It’s worth a lot to hear real experience first-hand.<br><br>One thing I did learn from those that had been through the hurricane in Charleston- they told me always to have plenty of cash in small bills. Apparently, after the hurricane the banks were closed, and while many stores and shops were open (especially smaller ones), NOBODY had change. If you wanted a breakfast roll, and all you had was a $20 bill, then the breakfast roll cost you $20. It wasn’t technically “gouging”, since they were willing to sell it to you for less- if you had less.<br><br>For similar reasons, I’ve chosen to stash a bit of silver instead of gold. One ounce of silver is a large coin, and was worth about $5 the last time I checked, so you wouldn’t feel too bad about trading one for a hamburger or some canned food. Five dollars worth of gold, on the other hand, is a coin the size of a sequin, just as thin, more fragile, and terribly easy to lose- even if you could convince someone to take it. Larger gold coins are just too much value at once for subsistence-level trading, and you may well end up trading a $75 coin for that hamburger.<br><br>I don’t put a lot of faith in either. Unlike most survival gear, gold and silver are pretty much useful only in one scenario- economic collapse. In any other survival situation, it’s likely that people will be taking paper dollars for quite some time.<br> <br>Thanks again.<br>

#5102 - 03/29/02 03:57 PM Re: urban PSK?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I may have missed this in some of the posts so far, but it seems to me that one thing missing in many lists is a pair of leather gloves. Even a pair of leather dress gloves can be invaluable (a bit spendy if one tears them up, as I have), but a pair of all-leather work gloves is best. In temperate climates the heavier cowhide gloves, perhaps with a bit of thin insulation, are very useful. In hot climates a pair of thin pigskin gloves will still afford a lot of protection for innumerable situations (need augmentation, such as a cotton bandana or some other natural material if they will be used to grasp or manipulate something hot). Lightly insulated cowhide gloves will protect long enough from even mild red heat to do something useful without injury - still, use caution.<br><br>The pigskin gloves are so compact and lightweight that I tote both types (pigskin and lightly insulated cowhide). The pigskin gloves can even easily be folded and placed in the handkerchief/bandanna pocket without discomfort.<br><br>IMHO, the cowhide gloves should be fairly flexible, so I avoid the stiff smooth types and go with split leather instead (plus they are less expensive). None of these gloves are very expensive. Hand protection is well worth any minor cost.

#5103 - 03/29/02 05:00 PM Re: urban PSK?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

I totally agree that a leather gloves are a very valuable additon. I carry mine tucked under my belt--Cowboy style. Mine are thin deerskin, dark brown and essentially disappear under my vest. They are always with me this way. I do not expect them to survive long digging through earthquake rubble, but they would help.<br><br>

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.