Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#50929 - 10/02/05 03:02 PM Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi, I know this is not directly related to survival but it is related to everyday carry. I used to always carry my keys in my right pocket but I see many people attach it to their belt loop with a carabiner or a "dogclip" or hook clip, snap hook (I don't know the correct nomenclature). I recently made a copy of my important keys that I keep in my wallet but I also attach a Photon II and a mini Fox40 to my keychain as it is recommended here. So I was just wondering if you attach your keys to your belt loop and what you think is the most secure way to do it.

Thanks
Frankie

#50930 - 10/02/05 03:58 PM Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?
ProGunOne Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Burbank, Illinois
I used to use this method but after many worn out belt loops and having a couple break I switched to metal clip (stainless) that resmbles a money clip with a spring clip that slips onto a belt.

#50931 - 10/02/05 03:58 PM Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i use a steel carabinder thingy from a hardware store. Aluminium and plastic carabinders have eventually failed on me. It nice to know that something is holding you keys secure wenn your not standing. On some pants you will get the problem that the keys won't fit in to you pockets anymore, because they are to far away, but not with the once's i wear. The brass loop on the 5.11 pants is great for this purpose.

#50932 - 10/02/05 04:00 PM Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I clip them to a belt loop with a carabiner. I have only done that within the past 6 months - I ran out of room in my pockets...

Bona Na Croin

#50933 - 10/02/05 04:06 PM Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?
ProGunOne Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Burbank, Illinois

#50934 - 10/02/05 05:02 PM Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i use a maxpedition key keeper....
[img]http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_keyper.htm[/img]
it works great and is very secure

#50935 - 10/02/05 05:56 PM Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?
Vinosaur Offline
dedicated member

Loc: North Central IL
+1 on the Maxpedition Keyper. I use it every day at work for my work keys. As for home and about, I minimize my keys and prefer they go in the pocket.

#50936 - 10/02/05 08:51 PM Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I use an old biner my brother was going to retire becuase of some corrosion. MIght not hold him, and I'm not even remotely stupid enough to try to climb with it, but it holds my keys just fine.

To save wear on my jeans, I used to put a loop of gutted paracord around my belt. But I never noticed it made a difference with good jeans. With slacks I might to that, but I don't wear those very often.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#50937 - 10/02/05 10:07 PM Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
I used to clip my keys etc. to my belt loop, but have stopped doing that.

1. Afraid of loosing my keys, one of the guys I worked with several years ago lose his.

It was not a pretty sight, we were on service trucks, he did not have any spare keys for his service truck, his personal vehicle which was back at the shop or his house and other stuff.

His only salvation was that I was alson on the same service call in a different truck. We finally got his truck picked up several hours later and I drove him home. Boss wasn't happy with him, his wife ditto and he swore off belt loop clips for keys.

2. It is also extremely EASY for someone to remove the keys from your belt loop without your even realizing it. I did not believe just how easy until I watched someone take keys AND a wallet from someone while talking to him (face to face) with another person. (The person doing it was honest and only doing it to make a point, there were several others "standing around" that had been clued in before hand) and were interested in seeing if it was really "that easy to do".

Everything was returned to the "victim" immediately...but only AFTER the victim was asked to open his car (he was much chagrined to find his keys missing).

The follow-up question came as another shock to him when we asked him how much he thought it would cost to replace his keys and he unconciously reached for his wallet which was missing.

The lesson was concluded and we all parted as frineds still.

These two events made me think deeply and I subsequently made several changes in the way I carry stuff.

Regards,
Comanche7

#50938 - 10/02/05 11:00 PM Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I don't. My keyring is quite large now, and I figure it's unlikely to drop out of my pocket without me noticing it. It's all threaded on a full-sized climbing carabiner, which I fondly hope would be useful for breaking glass if I ever need to, and there's 2 yards of parachord braided into a 10cm fob.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.