Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5104 - 03/29/02 07:21 PM Re: urban PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting thought. I confess I hadn't thought of work gloves. They certainly won't fit in the kit itself, but I suppose I could find room in the shoulder pouch. I have several pair at home, of course.<br><br>I guess I'm a little unclear of what scenario you're envisioning. Like many others, I've used a bandana for hot pot and pan handles for many years on the trail, plus I did blacksmithing as a hobby for some years and never used gloves except for forge welding. Other than digging through rubble,which I guess could be a primary survival activity if it's your rubble, was there some scenario that would justify the bulk?<br>

#5105 - 03/29/02 09:29 PM Personal Disaster Experience ( Re: urban PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For a PSK/UPSK, I'd agree with you about the gold and silver. MOST OF THE TIME.<br><br>If I was going someplace that is unstable, I'd want to have a wad of US$20 and US$100s, with some silver and gold coinage, in my runkit. (Like a BugOut Bag, but much smaller, beltpouch and shoulder holster sized.) <br><br>In my big bag, as it lives in my closet, I carry silver and gold coinage, along with US folding money. It's increadable how stupid people get over shiny stuff. smile

#5106 - 03/30/02 04:24 AM Re: urban PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am also a fan of deerskin gloves - very light and useful for at least occasional use. For years I had a job which was basically desk work or non manual labor and then all of a sudden I would be working with wire cable, fighting fires, or other hand tool work. With hands that were not usually hard enough, deerskin increased my work effort considerably. They are handy for at least some hot objects and help to some extent in keeping your hands warm when it cools down.

#5107 - 03/30/02 04:54 AM Re: urban PSK?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
OK, ok - you guys made me go check (had to dig to find a "new" pair) - the thin gloves I was talking about are actually deerskin - my bad for calling them pigskin <grin> - no excuse. I knew what I meant...<br><br>Yep to everything said about them. Some pairs hold up under use better than others for no obvious reason, and all beat the heck out of bare hands for "rough work". But they're very supple - enough to allow a fairly high amount of dexterity. I like 'em because they are so useful and handy.

#5108 - 03/30/02 05:55 AM Re: urban PSK?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

>> was there some scenario that would justify the bulk?<<<br><br>Assume you mean the cowhide gloves. Actually, I was merely reflecting on some of my experiences, not hyothesized scenarios. I'm learning interesting things here by reading what other folks - such as yourself - are considering in the way of scenarios and how others are thinking about "being prepared" for whatever those scenarios might be. Good stuff - I hope the thread continues. I'll go back into "lurk and learn" mode...<br><br>I guess I don't consider them bulky. It's not something that I think is critical to carry; rather it is something that I have found useful many times for mundane tasks and a few times for not-so-mundane tasks. <br><br>Things get hot from energy getting dumped in them. Kinetic energy, fire, electrical current, intense sunlight, working hydraulic fluid, etc. It's amazing how hot stuff can unexpectedly get. I prefer to skip telling those first hand stories.<br><br>If not on-person, then a pair in the vehicle can be useful if for no other reason than to allow one to make an important expedient repair RIGHT NOW, and they have been useful to me in a few of those "stressful" situations as well. <br><br>Since those gloves have a little insulation, they also serve as a backup pair of cold-weather hand covers - better than nothing. <br><br>BUT the deerskin gloves will handle most potential tasks well enough in my opinion. The heavier cowhide gloves are only a suggestion based on some of my experiences.<br><br>Hmmm. You must be my evil twin (just kidding) - I've done a bit of self-taught blacksmithing as well. Hot-cutting half-track spring leaves about made me cry, even with gloves on - talk about radiant heat! <grin>. My anvil back then was a hunk of 120lbs rail. Made some neat stuff; still use the products. Got better tools now and have been talked into teaching the boys what little I know when they clear up the messes they've made in the shop over the winter. There's a nice high-carbon truck leaf spring set hidden under a bench that's been begging to be made into some forged froes, knives, and the like... after they learn a bit with some other stuff in the scrap bin.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom<br>

Edited by AyersTG (03/30/02 06:14 AM)

#5109 - 03/30/02 12:00 PM Re: urban PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply. I will certainly hie one of my pairs out to the vehicle, that's a good idea and there's no reason not to have them. I'll think about a pair of some kind in the shoulder pouch.<br><br>I loved blacksmithing, used to go out and fire up the forge in 100 degree heat, people thought I was crazy. Generally, the stock was long enough for heat not to be a problem- for other cases we had tongs, including some huge ones that required an assistant or two to hold the piece. The only time I really needed gloves, as I say, was forge-welding, and I'd have to dunk them in the bucket before I began- by the time the weld was hammered in place, the gloves would be merrily steaming. Hardens the leather real quick. :-)<br><br>In the end, I met blacksmiths that were much, much better than I that were struggling for a living, and I decided I'd better keep it a hobby. It's been many years- a forge is not the sort of thing you can set up in a suburban neighborhood.<br>

#5110 - 03/30/02 04:56 PM Re: urban PSK?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Hehehe - I can relate - previously I did most of my 'smithing when we were in southern Georgia. Homemade forge, of course. I was using coal, so it was pretty ugly when I coked it - greasy black smoke and stench. One can avoid that by using coke, but I was scrounging the coal back then. Most suburban forges seem to be running propane now (bulk tank), according to the folks I've talked to.

#5111 - 03/30/02 11:44 PM Re: urban PSK?
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Propane is much cleaner than coal and the burners are easy to make. The only time my neighbors know that i'm running the forge is when i borrow their propane tank because i'm out. Haven't really done any blacksmithing with mine, i've mainly used it for casting aluminum.

#5112 - 03/31/02 12:19 AM Re: urban PSK?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Yeah - I have links to a few designs. Most are intended for casting metals - also a grand pastime. My only concern is that most DIY designs tend to have an strongly oxidizing flame, which will burn the steel to worthless scrap as soon as it gets hammering hot. For 99.99% of blacksmithing I need a neutral or slightly reducing flame, which is simple using coke (the first step in using coal is to coke it). If I was confident that I could routinely regulate the combustion to avoid burning the steel... but the propane types would seem to require a lot of juggling to do that - tweak the air - oops, too much gas - not hot enuff - tweak the gas -- oops, now it's oxidixing again... BUT I could be wrong <grin> - I'm just guessing.<br><br>if you know of any plans for DIY propane forges aimed at 'smithing, I'd like to look them over. Thanks!

#5113 - 03/31/02 02:10 AM Re: urban PSK?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thin gloves are invaluable for their weight! I use a pair daily with the horses ( one rope burn makes a believer.) Quality is essential. Cude,oversized seams make for oversized blisters. My Filson's are the wool shawl collar packer and a Tin coat. The gamepocket is a warehouse for my orange garbage sack with Topos.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.