Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#50438 - 09/30/05 02:05 PM Re: Car fire
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Remember to strap it down -- you don't need a flying fire extinguisher in your car.

TRO

( I own 6 extinguishers. Once put out a BIG fire with a small extinguisher. Cheap insurance.)

#50439 - 09/30/05 03:37 PM Re: Car fire
NIM Offline

If you add vinegar to baking soda it release tonnes of CO2 which can smother a flame even without being in contact with the mixture.

I believe that the same thing happens when you burn the baking soda. If you sprinkle a tiny bit on a burning log you will see that it can put the fire out while sprinkling the same amount of sand will do nothing.

-Nim

#50440 - 09/30/05 05:13 PM Re: Basic tools/equipment for the car
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the purely for what it's worth department, I have known a lot of ranch people who have had custom bumpers, etc. made for their trucks, and in doing so, incorporated an air bottle. For example, a bumper made out of 6 or 8" casing pipe, and welded up air-tight with a filler and QD hose fittings added on.

#50441 - 10/01/05 01:14 AM Re: Basic tools/equipment for the car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trim it flush. That's what they do in the shop !

#50442 - 10/01/05 01:48 PM Re: Basic tools/equipment for the car
DennisTheMenace Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
When my wife and I bought a Jeep I did a lot of research trying to find the best balance of quality vs. cost in buying equipment for off-pavement travel. The best little air compressor I was able to find was the Interdynamics Truck Air. It's not the most powerful, nor the cheapest. But it is a reliable unit for a reasonable price. I've seen them in local stores (such as K-Mart) for $39.99. The link above is provided as a reference.

Dennis (The Menace)

#50443 - 10/01/05 04:43 PM Re: Basic tools/equipment for the car
lazermonkey Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Monterey CA
Here are some old threads on the topic:
Additional Vehicle BOB

Keeping a fire extinguisher in you car

What’s in your car?

Dry chemical fire extinguisher

trunk junk

That's good enough. There were lots more.
[rant on]
Side note: I do not mind experience ETSer's bring up old topics, and I don't mind the new guy's who ask an old question. What I do mind is when newbie’s don't take the advice of the oldbie's. It took about 5sec to find all this info.
All they have to do is click on search type in a few key words i.e. "extinguisher " and boom tons of info. [rant off]

With that said welcome all you newbie’s and I hope you stick around and Use the search feature!!!

#50444 - 10/01/05 10:48 PM Re: Basic tools/equipment for the car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lighten up dude.
Nothing wrong with a refresher course from time to time. If it annoys you, don't read the thread.

#50445 - 10/01/05 11:51 PM Re: Basic tools/equipment for the car
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
Obviously, there's a wealth of information in the archives. But sometimes people don't know to search, sometimes the search doesn't always find stuff, and sometimes it's just nice to discuss the same thing again a year or two later.

This reminds me of the story "Melancholy Elephants" by Spider Robinson. If we're not allowed to forget that we've discussed a topic before, we're going to very quickly run out of things to talk about.

It's happened to me more than once. The forum will be quiet for a day or so, and I'll think "This would be a good time to ask about...naaaa... we talked about that. How 'bout... no, that was last month... uh, what about...".

I can see a future where all posts are simply questions and links to old threads. Yuck.

#50446 - 10/02/05 02:48 AM Re: Basic tools/equipment for the car
lazermonkey Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Monterey CA
Sorry if I sounded a little hostel. I love the refresher courses but the comment was directed at a certain new member that I have been keeping my mouth shut about. No matter how much they are advised they obviously do not do any homework by ether "googleing" or searching ETS. Sorry starting to sound like a big old meany head.

Can't really remember what set me off this morning. I think it was just that this forum is great and the members are awesome, willing to go out of their way to help others, and I guess I was gust starting to feel like someone was starting to take advantage of the forum/people.

I did put the rant things on and thought that would take care of any hostel sounding language but I guess it did not. I will try to be more courteous in the future and not let things build up.

#50447 - 10/02/05 03:12 AM Re: Basic tools/equipment for the car
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
As a newbie, I have come to appreciate a combination of more experienced members offering their ideas as well as people providing links. Sometimes ideas evolve or sometimes even if they don't some different perspectives are found in old threads.

I have found that for myself, through teaching both in a class room and in martial arts class that through teaching and explaining things to people, I am constantly examining my own reasons for holding certain beliefs or preferences. The examination either confirms my beliefs, or calls them into question, in which case I take a closer look at them, research if need be and get opinions from others.

I'm getting rather philosophical for the late on a Saturday night, but my point is, as a newbie, I'll probably still ask some of those same old questions, but I'll be using the search engine more too.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.