Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#5028 - 03/23/02 03:04 AM Shrink Tubing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where does one find shrink tubing like Mr. Ritter uses on his Sparky and other gear?<br><br>What is it really intended for?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Carl Morgan

#5029 - 03/23/02 03:12 AM Re: Shrink Tubing
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tubing is used to protect the flint wheel on the Sparklite. A length of tubing is a potential straw for gathering water from seeps. Shrink tubing and standard tubing may be found at electrical and hardware stores. Blueline Outfitters ( listed in our retail source list) is very good at procuring some of the odds and ends we use.

#5030 - 03/23/02 04:41 AM Re: Shrink Tubing
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Radio Shack. _________________________________________________Proverbs 21:19

PROVERBS 21:19

#5031 - 03/23/02 05:15 PM Re: Shrink Tubing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use heat shrink tubing on the ferrocerium rod of the BSA "Hot Spark" that lives in my keycase (to protect it from the keys and other abrasion). With care, I managed to shrink it just enough (over an electric range, not a flame) so that it's a snug sliding fit, and can be removed and replaced. The excess shrank quite a bit more, to a sort of nozzle shape. Of course, if I ever have to use it a great deal, the rod will presumably get thinner and the tubing will no longer fit... by which time I don't expect I'll care at all. Radio Shack. It comes in handy for a number of things. I try to keep an assortment on hand.<br><br>I was able to find PTFE (Teflon) tubing more or less like that in Doug's kit in an electronics supply store (not Radio Shack). I'd like to find some in longer lengths, but not larger diameter, for setting up siphons. I've been using the thinner variety of aquarium tubing for that in the woods, but it's too bulky to store much length in a PSK. The soft silicone normal-size variety might even pack smaller than the thin vinyl stuff, under compression, since it flattens and bounces back.<br>

#5032 - 03/24/02 03:14 AM Re: Shrink Tubing
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you are near a "West Marine Store" they have shrink tubing in all sizes and styles

#5033 - 03/28/02 12:12 AM Re: Shrink Tubing
schaz Offline

Loc: California
Carl<br><br> I am not sure if I misread the intent of your second question, or if everyone else did.<br><br> Shrink tubing is used in electronics to re-insulate striped wire. For example, you have to strip back a length of wire before you can solder it to a terminal. You would slide a short piece of shrink tubing up the wire before connecting it then slide the tubing over the soldered connection and heat it. The tubing shrinks and the wire and terminal are insulated. It works better than electrician's tape, and is much easier to use in tight places.

#5034 - 03/28/02 02:59 PM Re: Shrink Tubing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everyone. I was able to find some at Radio Shack and Home Depot.<br><br>schaz you answered my second question. Thank you. I had no idea what it was intended for.<br><br>On another note. I really like Blueline outfitters. Thanks to Chris Kavanaugh for suggesting them. <br><br>Carl

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.