Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#49699 - 09/21/05 06:24 PM Leatherman Wave
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting my first multi-tool for everyday carry and I went to the store to check out the Leatherman Wave. There's one version with scissors and one with a serrated blade. I tried the one handed opening of the blade and it seems ok although I guess it would be another matter with heavy leather gloves on. I would prefer the blade to be plain but it's serrated as you probably already know. I was surprised by its light weight but I'm aware that the steel is probably not the strongest. The store also sells a leather sheath for the Wave. I'm still hesitating about buying it or not. Is the Wave still considered one of the best choice here? What is your experience?

Thank you
Frankie

#49700 - 09/21/05 06:39 PM Re: Leatherman Wave
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Personally, I carry a Gerber. Many people prefer Leathermen. It is definitely larger and heavier than a Leatherman, but I find it sturdier and more functional.

#49701 - 09/21/05 07:18 PM Re: Leatherman Wave
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
I have a Wave and I love it..goes with me everywhere. You might take a closer look though. My Wave has four external lockable features...a file, a saw, serrated blade and plain blade..plus has scissors on the inside. So check it out again. You won't regret the purchase...I haven't.

In regards to the leather sheath...the only positive thing I can say is the snap closure makes sure it doesn't fall out. If you ever get it wet...it holds the moisture next to the Wave...I prefer a drainable sheath...but other than that, I have not been disappointed!

#49702 - 09/21/05 08:12 PM Re: Leatherman Wave
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
I have the "old"" wave, the one without the screwdriver bits. I love it!

I also like the leather case, as I find nylon cases to be far less durable. My leather case has been going fine for three years of EDC. If I EDC a nylon case (like my Arc LS case), I get about a year or so out of it.

#49703 - 09/21/05 08:19 PM Re: Leatherman Wave
GardenGrrl Offline

I enjoyed playing with the Wave during a recent shopping trip, but I didn't actually buy it -- couldn't decide. After I got home and started researching other people's opinions about the Wave, I ran across a reference to the new Surge. Does anyone have a Surge? It sounds like it is similar to a Wave but with beefier scissors. I hate the scissors on the new Wave; it's hard to open them and their action is stiff. I hear that the scissors on the Surge are not only bigger and sturdier, but accessable without unfolding the whole setup.

If I could find an old Wave for sale, I might snap it up.

#49704 - 09/21/05 08:26 PM Re: Leatherman Wave
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Here is my review of the Surge from another site:

"I went by target today to pick up one of those 2AAA River Rock flashlights, when I saw a single surge on the rack, so I had to buy it.

First, the tool is $76, not cheap at all. But, you do get a lot of tool for your money. It is roughly the size of a Sog Powerlock and it built like a tank. The steel is thicker then the powerlocks, the pliers are beefier, longer, and more of a needle nose. I really think it is built better then the Sog, I can almost flex the handles together on the sog, the L-mans has barely any flex. It is finished a lot nicer too.

On the outside the knife is huge, bigger then any knife I have ever seen in a multi-tool. It scared me a bit the first time I opened it, it has 3 and 1/4" of cutting area. In total it is almost 3 1/2". The serrated blade is the same size, but is non-serrated for the last 1/2". The scissors are built for leverage, there is only about an inch of cutting area, but I was cutting cans like they were butter, even the tops. The neatest thing is the blade changer. You can switch between a saw and a file (half diamond/half regular). Which means you can use the file to sharpen the blade for the first time ever. The file and saw are both slightly larger then the Powerlocks and a Juice KF4's. They come in a little plastic sheath that you can put in the nylon sheath with the tool. (Though there is no specific space for it.)

The nylon sheath it comes with is a pouch style that can go verticle and horizontal. It is pretty well made, but it isn't that great. I think the best way to carry this would be with the pocket clip from the Charge series (which works in it, but doesn't come with it), then buy the sheath with the bits and carry that on your belt with the file. Then this tool would really shine.

On the inside of the tool there is the standard bit driver and a can/bottle opener with wire stripper. On the other is a nice large thick screwdriver that looks like you can use it for light prying (like a prybaby), a glasses type screwdriver with the new spring to hold it in place, and a awl. The awl is like a SAK awl, but on steroids. It looks like it would be good for sewing with the inner strands from parachute cord or if used like a drill would make a hole big enough for parachute cord.

All in all, this thing is great. If you don't mind the weight this is the tool to buy. It's big, it's tough, it's steel, it's comfortable to use (compared to the Sog, ect.) If you are looking for a multitool for tough jobs this is it."

#49705 - 09/21/05 08:43 PM Re: Leatherman Wave
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have a Gerber, old Wave, and new Charge Ti (like new Wave). The screwdrivers, saw, and knife blade on the Gerber are not good. I gave the Gerber to my son. The old Wave is very good! My wife has the old Wave. She does not like to loan it to anyone. The new Wave and Charge Ti are even better! I love the pocket clip. The blades are much easier to open. I use the Charge Ti like a normal pocket knife. Buy a new Wave or Charge Ti. You will wonder how you ever got by without it. Don’t buy a lesser LeatherMan or Gerber if you can buy the Wave or Charge.

My Charge Ti is clipped to my pocket as my EDC.

#49706 - 09/21/05 08:59 PM Re: Leatherman Wave
Franciscomv Offline

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have a Wave that I bought as a lighter alternative to my SwissTool. After a month or so of use the Wave is sitting in a drawer and the SwissTool is back in my daypack.

The SwissTool just seems to be a lot sturdier. My Wave developed a little play (I admit very little) and felt a bit "wobly" after some (admitedly heavy) work. The SwissTool has been by my side for around five years and it shows no signs of wear.

The SwissTool Spirit would be my choice for a lighter multitool. It's built as strong as the original SwissTool but weighs a lot less and is more compact.

The only advantages I see in some Leatherman models are the one hand opening blades and the premium steels, but this features aren't really important for me because the least used tool in my multis are the knife blades. I alway have two other knives on me at all times.

#49707 - 09/21/05 09:31 PM Re: Leatherman Wave
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
I was surprised by its light weight...
Now there's a phrase I would have never considered to describe my Wave. I've always thought of it as heavy. Maybe the newer ones are lighter, or maybe the Wave is light compared to other multi-tools. I only have a Wave and a Squirt (very small multi-tool) so I have nothing to compare the Wave against. But it's a very nice tool that appears to be high quality. Can't say I use mine often these days. More as an emergency backup when I don't have the tool I need for some quick-fix. I'd always prefer to have a single-use screwdriver, pliers, knife, etc. But the Wave functions quite well in the backup role for me. I do not carry it on me usually (too heavy). Typically it resides in a gear bag, in the car, etc. The Squirt is with me mostly - in a pocket or fanny pack - but even that sees little use compared to my EDC knife. Several of my friends carry multi-tools of various brands and use them constantly. I used to use mine more, but not so much these days. How often you might use one is highly variable depending on your normal day-to-day activities. I doubt you can go too wrong if you stick to quality tools, and I think the Wave is one such item.

#49708 - 09/21/05 09:40 PM Re: Leatherman Wave
Anonymous
Unregistered

I must admit, I am a tool junky. I have an old Wave, a new wqve, the first Leatherman [first month of production, no less] a Leatherman Flair, and a Gerber Recoil [the spring loaded opening one].

My favorite is the new wave with a pocket clip. The old Wave is great, and the tooll adapter is very, very useful, because of the ability to use and 1/4 drive hex or square firve bit with appropirate adapters. I keep that one in my FatBoy.

I'm like Franciso -- I don't use any multitool as my primary blade, but either Wave is competent. The serated sheepsfoot blades are good to have for rough work.

The original and the Flair are much more compact, obviously, and I keep the original in a brief case kit, and the Flair -- well, it's just for the hell of it and I carry it when I don't feel like the bulk of the Wave, or for food. The cocktail fork and the pate spreader just make me smile, I guess.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.