Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#49676 - 09/21/05 03:08 PM Glo-Toobs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am slowly adding more and more items to my kits, and my latest purchase is some Glo-Toobs and I thought I'd ask some of your opinions or experiences with them.

http://www.glo-toob.com/

I dont have too many choices down here and these seem to be the most robust type of this style of lights I could get my hands on.
I was thinking of shipping some Krill lights from the US because I cant find any in Australia, but with the costs and hassles etc I chose these instead. (I still might import some though)

I have white, blue and amber Glo-Toob FX lights. I tried to get red but they were sold out.

So far I like the amber light, and its already stashed in the car.
I like the white light too, but I haven't made up my mind about the blue light. Its not a bright and its been my experience that blue attracts the mozzies.
I like the small size too, but I dont like the fact that they use another size battery (12volt A23 size)
The mode changes took me a while to work out too, but I've got that worked out now.

So has anybody had any good/bad experiences with them?
Any other comments or opinions about them?
Any suggestions of alternatives? (Especially if they use AA)

Thanks Wayne

#49677 - 09/21/05 03:51 PM Re: Glo-Toobs
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I think they are pretty darn cool. Here is some reading:
Glo Toob thread on CPF

-john

#49678 - 09/21/05 03:56 PM Re: Glo-Toobs
7k7k99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I like them myself, I have the red and blue models without all the mode functions, just on and off. Sure it's another size battery, but they are small. And TAD gear is coming out with a new survival capsule to wear around your neck that will supposedly hold a glotoob inside -- can't wait for that one!

#49679 - 09/21/05 03:59 PM Re: Glo-Toobs
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Interesting to hear your experiences with the Glo-Tubes. I was thinking of buying some of these for myself as well. I was a little surprized to hear the blue is not as bright. The blue-ish LED lights I have a some of the brightest when compared to their siblings (CMG Infinities in my case). But the CMG's I have are the teal blue/green color, not a dark blue and maybe that's the difference. I was trying to find the color Glo-Tube that "stands out" the best at night. The most eye catching, which may not equate to the brightest. I'll get around to deciding and actually buying a Glo-Tube one of these days.

#49680 - 09/21/05 04:12 PM Re: Glo-Toobs
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I was trying to find the color Glo-Tube that "stands out" the best at night.

I asked this question myself, on CPF. I think the general thought was the green stood out the most.

As a result, I've been getting green FX models.

FWIW, knifeworks.com seems to have good prices on the FX ($20 ea).

-john

Edited by JohnN (09/21/05 04:15 PM)

#49681 - 09/21/05 04:30 PM Re: Glo-Toobs
Anonymous
Unregistered

When you hold the white and blue up next to each other, the white is noticably brighter. The blue has tiny little bubbles through out the epoxy coating too.
I guess I had higher expectations of what I thought the blue would look like.

One of the things I was thinking with the blue was hanging it away from my tent next time I go camping. Hopefully mozzies will be attracted away from my tent, and I will use the amber as the light in the tent to avoid attracting them.

The white does stand out from a distant and when flashing is quite noticable.

#49682 - 09/21/05 05:31 PM Re: Glo-Toobs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks
That was good to read through.

#49683 - 09/21/05 05:55 PM Re: Glo-Toobs
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
I asked this question myself, on CPF...
Thanks. I used to be active on CPF a while back but haven't visited recently. I figured the green would probably win, but I kindof hoped for a blue one to do well ... just because I like blue!

I was planning on buying from KnifeWorks as well. The Glo-Toob(s) and a Becker Necker. Two things that fall into the same category: I don't need them, but I want them! Usually I can cobble together some bogus "need" to justify spending money, but I'm failing on the Glo-Toob. Makes me "want" it even more!

#49684 - 09/22/05 04:12 AM Re: Glo-Toobs
Vinosaur Offline
dedicated member

Loc: North Central IL
I have owned both the Krill and the Glo-Toob. After getting my Glo-Toob, the Krill went away. It is a P.O.S. by comparrison. The Glo is brighter, stronger, completely waterproof, hands down an excellent bit of kit. Although the Glo-Toob uses an N cell, they are cheap and easy to find (here in the U.S. at least). The batteries I purchased are Lithium, so have a long shelf life and in the unit last upto 80 hours of runtime on the FX, 30 on the regular model. You won't get that performance from the Krill. IMHO, you just can't go wrong with the Glo-Toob.

I currently have one Red "Regular" Glo-Toob I keep on my Maxpedition FatBoy pack, and a White FX model on my B.O.B. The FX is surprisingly easy to change settings on. Also, if you check e-Bay you can often find the Glo-Toobs for much less than the web-site prices.

#49685 - 09/22/05 04:33 AM Re: Glo-Toobs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the comparison.
The thing I like about the Krill is the AA batteries.

I can get the Alkaline A23 batteries no prob, but I dont think I will bother trying to get Lithium in this country (yet)

I've been looking on eBay, and freight costs are usually the killer because most are listed in the US.
I paid $38 each plus $4 frieght (Australian Dollars)
To import one from the US from eBay works out to $45 ish US Dollars including frieght, which means it will be nearly $60 Australian.

Another thing I discovered is the battery fits in my Surefire spares carrier. I think the carrier is the SC1. I use the Surefire E1e and the KL1 LED conv. head. So I dont use the globe holder in the centre of the carrier. The A23 fits neatly into this space.

I think I will giveup on the Krills and just stick with these.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 362 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.