Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#49391 - 09/27/05 04:00 AM Re: A bug-out bag opinion (it's okay not to have one)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tried to make it as real as I could.

If I used 30 seconds from the car, I would have only got about 5 feet inside the door. and would have basically nothing.

#49392 - 09/27/05 07:20 AM AAAAAAARRRGHHHH!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read thru half of this thread and then I started to tear my hair out. Which is hard, since I'm bald.

I think it would be a great exercise to find the most boring, cheap, disposable and yet functional items to put together in a BOB. That way you'll have it and not agonize over it or cannibalize it.

Knife? Cold Steel Bushman and a CRKT M16 folder.
Multitool? Go to sogknives and see if they have a seconds Pocket Power Plier.
Hydration pack? Get an Eagle Creek pack and stick a Platypus bladder in it.
Stove and pot? Get a tin cup from Campmor and make a wood gas stove from a coffee can.
http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/WoodGasStove/
Hell, get another coffee can and use that for the cup.
Flashlight: Mini-mag.
Towel/Water Filter/Filter Mask/Bandage: dish towel.
Radio: Transistor Radio, ten bucks.
Clothing: Carhartt pants, Red Ledge Thunderlight Waterproof/Breathable Parka, Old Navy or Gap Fleece shirt or maybe an old wool sweater, 2 t-shirts, 2 pair skivvies, 2 pair socks, 1 pair Sealskinz socks, beanie, boonie hat. Resole those old work boots. Gardening gloves. Add your least favorite pair of sunglasses.
Tent? NOPE. Bivy? Hefty bags and duct tape.
Food? Clif Bars, and grab that salami from the fridge.
Maps: Auto Club. Silva Compass.
Crowbar from hardware store. Spark-lite, or cannibalize your Zippo. Cheap cigar lighter. Tea Candles. Whistle. 550 cord. Safety wire. Fish hooks.

First aid kits are easy to buy. Get Bull Frog spray and Chap Stick too.

A paperback copy of Watership Down and a deck of cards.

Documents? Keep your passport in there. Take it out when you travel, put it back when you return. Data backup? Use your iPod.

The initial layer of clothing should be kept in a hefty bag that's taped to the backpack. If you have time, change. If not, grab and run, when you get to an interim spot rip the bag off and change.

The whole thing can be kept in a Rubbermaid tub under the bed along with a bottle of water that you rotate with the one in the fridge.

Is it that difficult?

#49393 - 09/27/05 12:54 PM Re: AAAAAAARRRGHHHH!!!!
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
In a little over two minutes, I can have my pickup completely loaded with all my camp stuff. You gotta understand, I have 4 grub boxes (big plastic boxes with locking lids) already loaded with all my camp cooking supplies and most of my camp gear. This includes a whole lotta stuff, cooking utensils, canned and dry packaged foods, firestarters galore, fire handling tools, cleaning supplies, toiletries, utility items like duct tape, rope, kite line, tarps, tarp locks, nails, lanterns and lantern fuel. Sitting beside this is my 12' x 17' wall tent and tent stove, 4 sleeping bags, 3 cots, and two camp chairs. On the other side is my collection of dutch ovens and fry pans to choose from. Behind the boxes are my chainsaw and kit, a peavey, a double bit axe, and a splitting maul. Under these are more tarps, some firewood, and a fold up table.

On the other side of the garage are two coolers, one large and one medium. Next to them are three 5 gallon plastic carbuoys full of distilled water and my 10 gallon water jug. Next to that is the 7' tall stand up freezer. At the end of the garage opposite the door are three tool boxes full of tools. What I have to hustle on is any additional guns and ammo I want to take besides the everyday basics, vital records and documents, and clothing. On the way out the door I grab the laptop bag. With my wife and daughters helping out, we can just about get it all in two minutes. Any quicker than that, and I forget the camping stuff and just grab the handy items and go. Bugging out is not the time to "Take the time" to do it right. You take the time up front getting it all prepared so you don't have to think about it, you just move like heck and catch your breath while you're heading down the road.

As far as egress goes, the routes I take are not on any map I have seen. If you had a good aerial shot, you might know there's a road there, but I bet the only people that even know that road exists stumbled on it like I did and never drove to the end to see where it dumps out. I can drive down that road for darned near two hours at cruising speed and not see civilization again along the way. The whole way, civilization is only about 15 miles away in either direction perpendicular to my route, but they'd never know I was even there.

Geez, am I paranoid or what. Over here, I have no place to go except get in the line to fly out on a Blackhawk like everyone else would have to.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.