The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4915 - 03/18/02 09:43 PM PSK Cheat Sheets
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I have revised the PSK Cheat sheet we discussed several months back. I replaced the trapping and snare diagrams with Spark-Lite firestarter instructions and tips. The thinkingbehind the change is that fire starting is a more important requirement that trapping food and the instructions would be of more importance.<br><br>For those new to list, the cheat sheet is a accordian fold piece of paper with basic survial info, instructions and tips. It's printed on Rite in the Rain waterproof paper and is sized to fit in an Altoids tin PSK, right on top where it'll be the first item removed. The information covers things and skills I already know and have practiced (now that I removed the trapping <s>), but it still may be valuable if (a) I'm disoriented or panicy in a survival situation (I hope not, but you never know), (b) for use by another, less experienced, companion if I'm unconscious in a survival situation. <br><br>I can email a copy to anyone who sends me a private email. It's in Acrobat PDF format and is designed to print on the front and back of a single page using an HP 1200 print driver.

#4916 - 03/19/02 06:20 PM Re: PSK Cheat Sheets
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, Bill! It looks great - I appreciate it.<br>

#4917 - 03/21/02 02:00 PM Re: PSK Cheat Sheets
billvann Offline
Old Hand

I just uploaded the PSK Cheat Sheet to the Troop 149 Scouter website. This version is different than the ones I sent earlier this week. I fixed the missing border on the first page, removed the extra borders on the watch compass page and fixed the wire saw graphic, which makes some additional text visible that was hidden before.<br><br>Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement as well as the suggestions and proofreading.

#4918 - 03/21/02 05:28 PM Re: PSK Cheat Sheets
peanut Offline
Journeyman

Very cool, and prints easily. Thanks Bill!!<br><br>Any suggestions on waterproofing the sheet?<br><br>Peanut<br><br>P.S. Cliff, two of these come on one sheet,I've got a spare

#4919 - 03/21/02 10:09 PM Re: PSK Cheat Sheets
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
P. S. Thanks<br><br> .....CLIFF<br><br>Just a prodigal scout's brother.....

#4920 - 03/22/02 01:46 AM Re: PSK Cheat Sheets
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just buy some liquid map seal from Campor.

#4921 - 03/23/02 10:27 PM Re: PSK Cheat Sheets
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Bill,<br><br><br>Great job on this! I finally got around to looking at it. I had been cobbling a similar cheat sheet of my own together, but I have thrown it out and will use yours. Thanks!!!<br><br>One thing though, I took a look at the PSK you posted on the web site. You left the Potassium Permagnate in the kit (which is great), but you included no directions for it's use on the cheat sheet. This no problem for me, my PSK has enough room left in it for me to throw them in. It's your scouts I'm worried about. I wouldn't imagine that many of them know how to use it in a survival situation (I didn't, before I became a regular here), and at least a few of them are likely to produce carbon copies of the kit you posted. There are potential problems that I can foresee: They may just eat it. I'd like to think that this is unlikely, but like Heinlein said, "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." I know adults who have done stupider things. Ever wonder why silica gel packets have the words, "Do not eat," on them? While I doubt that eating it would kill them, It would probably make them very ill, which sure wouldn't help in a survival situation. Of lesser worry, they use it incorrectly, either using too much or too little, and make themselves ill that way. There may be other problems, but those are the ones that leap to mind.<br><br>If you are going to retain the PP, I think you should include instructions for it's use. If not, I think you should take the PP off the PSK list and use the room for something else. Just my opinion....<br><br>Thanks again,<br><br>Andy

Edited by Ade (03/24/02 12:01 AM)

#4922 - 03/25/02 12:24 PM Re: PSK Cheat Sheets
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Bill<br>Great cheat sheet! It will complement the medical cheat sheet in my PSK.

#4923 - 03/25/02 03:21 PM Re: PSK Cheat Sheets
billvann Offline
Old Hand

I thought I would mention that the folks that Rite in the Rain offers a $10 introductory offer that includes two pocket notebooks and an all weather pen. They also included a few sample sheets of their laser paper in the packet. This is what I used for my cheat sheet, instead of buying a whole ream for $25.<br>

#4924 - 03/25/02 03:37 PM Re: PSK Cheat Sheets
billvann Offline
Old Hand

I was thinking of using the label on the vial for very short instructions. I haven't thought it all thge way trhrough yet, but here's what I initially thought of doing.<br><br>A wrap around paper label with four horizontal segments. One for the content name, potassium permagnate (and perhaps "do not eat." ), and the remaining three for the carius tints and uses for disinfectant and water treatment. I'd like to add color strips for each of the three uses, just like test strips for chlorine and other chemicals. Does any one know where I can find examples of the three various shades. Or can someone give me the RGB equivalents?<br><br>Then perhaps the label and be sealed around the vial, which I bought through Blueline Outfitters, via clear shrink tubing. The tubing would hold the label in place as well as form a seal around the lid.<br><br>Comments?

Edited by billvann (03/25/02 03:55 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 419 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.