The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4911 - 03/22/02 08:22 AM Re: Magazine Spring Set
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
OBG,<br><br>I got your shotgun :-) or at least one of its brothers. I bought one of the Rem 870s that the CHP retired & surplussed about 10 years ago. It shows a little surface wear to the wood finish. Otherwise, it's condition was nearly perfect. It's unclear if it was ever fired before I got it. :-)) What was the rationale behind retiring those guns?<br><br>I added a Choate 7 round mag extn., a slip-on recoil pad, & a Tac Star Side Saddle. The original rubber pad seemed a little harder than the wood. In shooting skeet, I realized the need to replace/augment the pad. I also needed the extra 1" added to the length of pull. I found that loading the Side Saddle adds another 1/2 pound to an otherwise slightly light gun. It then handled more nicely for me (more like my regular sporting shotguns). OTH, it shouldered & pointed more quickly in its original configuration, but then it swung less smoothly & kicked more. Always a tradeoff. In its present configuration, it is reserved for serious social situations. It now seems physically better fitted for that now. However, I am less than thrilled with its ornate appearance, especially how that might look in the aftermath of a serious application. What are your thoughts on those modifications?<br><br>By the way, why didn't the CHP use extended magazines on their Rem 870s ?<br><br>It's encouraging to learn that the CHP did not have mag spring problems with their S & Ws despite the magazines being loaded 99% of the time over prolonged periods. Especially since I have S & Ws of about the same vintage.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>John

#4912 - 03/22/02 08:59 AM Re: Magazine Spring Set
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Cybe,<br><br>That's a real helpful review of magazine performance & history. I also like your formula for optimum magazine loads.<br><br>I test extensively any potential defensive ammo for my guns. Some guns are just a lot more finicky than others. In the real world, nothing short of a proven track record of reliability of the individual combination of gun, feeding devices, ammo, & shooter will suffice.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>John

#4913 - 03/22/02 10:38 PM Re: Magazine Spring Set
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I never did hear why they replaced all of the shotguns in the entire state. Once again they failed to consult me!!! Some shotguns get shot more than others, but none a whole bunch. Officers shoot the shotgun quarterly, and I always just pulled a few out of any handy vehicle and used those. Might get the same one two times in a row, might never get another. Therer was once a plan to buy all S&W shotguns, and we were going to be able to purchase the old 870's if we wanted to, then S&W went out of the shotgun business. Ended up with more 870's, this time with black "plastic" stocks and forarms and a phosphate type finish. No rifle sights, which I thought was a mistake, 'specially since they are finally looking at issuing slugs. No sling swivels, altho that can be easily changed. I have no idea why they have never liked extended mags or sidesaddles. I personally don't like extended mags, throws the balance off too much, but I really like sidesaddles.

#4914 - 03/26/02 12:17 AM Re: Magazine Spring Set
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, don't qoute my formula. It's nothing more than my personal rule of thumb, and little more than a wild a**ed guess. I't mostly based on the experinces that people have had with double stacked magazines. It just happens to convert to a formula nicely.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.