Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#48983 - 09/14/05 09:16 PM Medical Kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to run this theory by everyone & see what you guys think. Attaboys are nice but criticism (hopefully constructive) is actually more useful.

Most first aid kits are really last aid kits. They have an abundance of materials for final treatment (Band-Aids, burn ointment, etc.) but no real FIRST aid stuff. There are usually no infection control stuff (mask, rubber gloves, CPR mask) or big dressings for serious bleeding. If your kid cut his hand and you put a dressing on it, that’s last aid. The patient is not going to the hospital. FIRST aid should be Airway, Breathing, Circulation & Bleeding control. This includes protection for the aid person from blood borne pathogens. Where I live, we can get an ambulance in less than 10 minutes. It is not practical to splint a broken bone. The EMTs on the rig will have all the stuff needed. I would just use pressure to stop bleeding and traction on the broken limb. However, during a wide area emergency, they may arrive late or not at all.

So, I divided my medical equipment into 3 parts. There is Kit 1, the Delay/Transport Kit and the Final Treatment Kit.

Kit 1 is what you use first on an injured person. This kit contains the surgical mask, nitrile gloves, CPR mask, 2 battle dressings, 3 sizes of airway, KY jelly (lube for the airways), tube of Traumadex, Asherman chest seal, Magill forceps (for choking), emt type shears, instant glucose (diabetics), etc. This kit is designed solely to keep the guy alive long enough for the ambulance to get here.
I’ve got it in a Blackhawk drop leg pouch. I used to EDC it at the looney bin where I used to work. The large battle dressings are the most important as you can do CPR without equipment. The Traumadex & chest seal are for bullet holes in the chest.

The Delay/Transport kit is, as its name suggests, for use if the ambulance is delayed or non-existent due to the emergency. I’m thinking huge demand, trees down, giant snowdrifts etc. This kit has the stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, splints, burn dressings, IV stuff, flexible stretcher, blanket, oxygen bottle, triangular bandages, sterile saline, etc. This kit is for longer-term survival of the patient (several hours). You must make the decision: wait for the ambulance or transport the patient to the hospital yourself.

The 3rd kit is the Final Treatment kit. This is the one that has treatment supplies for problems that can be managed without going to the hospital. This kit has all the meds, splinter forceps, disposable scalpels, tick removal tool, moleskin, betadine, sunburn cream, etc.

BTW, You’re not prepared without training. Everyone should take a Red Cross First Aid & CPR course. Additional training is optional, but to me the above is a minimum for all.

#48984 - 09/14/05 11:38 PM Re: Medical Kits
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
You say you have in kit 1 magill forceps for choking. I don't know your level of training...As a former NYC medic (4 years) and 6 more as an EMT (also in NYC) plus 8 years as a SW Florida medic (in an area hit by Charley) I've only had to use the magill forceps ONCE. It was for a guy in cardiac arrest who blocked his airway with moo shu pork. The magills didn't help. He needed a surgical airway. Also as far as I've been trained...magills were only to be used by direct visualization-by a larnygoscope and blade (not mentioned in the kits)....not a 'blind' procedure.

Kit 3 has scapels...Why. I've only needed it once.
Meds? For who and what kind. I'll offer someone Tylenol, Aspirin or Ibuprofen but they have to pick it up and be able to take it themselves (thus I'm not prescribing it!)...Other than that though and I only have medications for my family.

#48986 - 09/15/05 05:49 AM Re: Medical Kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I fully agree with cjk, overkill in a medical will either get you in trouble and or take up wasted space. For years now i see ems personel go nuts on gear.........and half of it you'll never use. such as magill forceps......first unless you acutally see a small object in an airway(assuming heimlich didnt dislodge it) chances are no forcep is going to get it either. And too many of certain items is over kill as well. Keep them for replacements, but unless its a known extended trip-you probably dont need 150 4x4's, 10 blades, a small stretcher etc..... see the point. Lastly Meds-i do have a few advanced drugs i tote on special trips, but as CJK mentioned i too reserve them for myself/immediate friends family due to liability and "suit" issues.
PS-for the best all around medical course-look in to a wildnerness medical course

#48987 - 09/15/05 02:00 PM Re: Medical Kits
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
FYI- I have only needed to use Magill forceps one time in my career. It was to remove a plug of chewing tobacco from the airway of a cardiac arrest patient. As stated by CJK, it was used only under direct visualization with a laryngoscope and blade.

Pete

#48988 - 09/15/05 05:05 PM Re: Medical Kits
lazermonkey Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Monterey CA
My dad is a paramedic and told me the most I will ever need is some 5x9's, tape, triple antibiotic ointment, gloves, cpr mask, water (THE CLEANER THE BETTER), and a cell phone. There might have been some more stuff but that is what sticks with me. Everything else is beyond my skills. I do have a surgical kit from CTD.com, but that is only if someone trained is present or can tell me what to do (only in a pinch). I do plan to expand my kit as my education and training increases.

#48989 - 09/15/05 05:26 PM Re: Medical Kits
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Does someone have the statistics on what the most common medical issues are while in the outdoors? My understanding is that cuts, scrapes, burns, insect bites, and allergies are the most common problems. What other medical problems should the average (non medical) person carry items for while hiking, camping, and in their evacuation bag (BOB)?

Thanks!

#48990 - 09/15/05 06:13 PM Re: Medical Kits
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have encountered the following medical conditions in the field (wilderness setting):

Dehydration
Fractures/sprains/strains due to falls or trip hazards
Hypothermia
Hyperthermia
Asthma attacks
Chest pain/possible MI

Pete

#48991 - 09/15/05 06:30 PM Re: Medical Kits
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
What can be done for someone having an asthma attack? What if they don't have an inhaler or it is empty?

Asthma attack is not in my first-aid booklet!

#48992 - 09/15/05 07:11 PM Re: Medical Kits
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

I can only speak for myself and not other EMS providers, protocols or EMS systems, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Many times when encountering a patient experiencing an asthma attack, my first line of defense is a psychological vs. pharmacological intervention. Having the patient calm themselves through slow controlled breathing can and has at least for me, been enough to “break” the cycle of respiratory distress.

My oldest daughter, when she was younger, suffered exercised induced asthma attacks, being a competitive swimmer, more then once she suffered an attack and was in severe respiratory distress. Many times, not always, I was able to get her to “break” the attack through a claming, reassuring voice and talked her through the attack with slow controlled breathing exercises.

Although, I am not suggesting you do this, but Primatene mist is still available over the counter. For many years, it was the one medication used by asthma sufferers as their first line of defense. Just something to consider.

Pete

#48993 - 09/15/05 07:24 PM Re: Medical Kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Although it is unpolular to say so, I was always under the impression that except in rare cases, asthma is self-limiting. True or no?

When in I was in high school, I had a good friend with fairly bad asthma, and his mother fauned and fretted over his attacks. We were with his grandfather one day, and he had a attack, and no inhalor. His grandfather said something to the effect that he'll either calm down, or pass out, and in either case it'll be done with. He was right. He almost passed out, he did calm down, and it was over with.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.