Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4840 - 03/14/02 06:01 PM youth of today
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is a some thread. Lets please measure our remarks and not get any more hair pulled out or feathers ruffled ( down jackets are expensive.) James, don't be angry. Modern society has lost meaningfull "rites of passage." We have getting a driver's license or having the first legal sip of beer: no ritual scarification, secret stories told in the sweatlodge or killing a lion. Maybe thats why we have PSKs, a bit of re franchisement as men ( and women) in self determination. Id rather tell stories in a sauna than get marooned again ;O) As to my getting voted off early? HAH! We'd be having "longmeat" the first night and that show director would be missing. Id drag all the equipment to the native people never mentioned, anounced I was John From ( ask HikerDon to explain) and live the good life!

#4841 - 03/14/02 06:41 PM Re: youth of today
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am the product of an eclectic up-bringing. My father was a serious mountaineer and professor (read the Butchers Axe for more on his exploits). He taught me what he could about being a man before my Mother divorced him for many reasons - one of them being that she didn't feel safe about the risks he allowed us to take as children. She then enrolled me in the scouts (where I did much the same things though with less experienced mentors) Then we move from rural midwest (Rolla Missouri) to very urban New-England and lived for a while in an urban slum. The risks changed from falling into a cave while spelunking with my father to getting shot by a drive-by. I maintained my love of the outdoors and when emancipated from both my parents and my rebellious extended adolesence I returned to the White Mountains where my father learned his skiills. I am a member of the Appalachain Mountain club ( occassionally though unfairly derided as an elitist reserve of weekend warriors and eco-nazis) and now a member on this forum. While I am sure that my father would agree with all of the scout bashing I have been reading I am equally sure that the worst of this derision would more fittingly apply to my Mother than the Scouts. If I could find an organization as decent as the boy Scouts for my daughters I would sign them up immediately. I've not been blessed with boys yet. With the time consumed by paying the mortgage and what-not I haven't time to teach them all that they should be taught. I manage to get them out of the house most weekends and attempt what I might. I often check here and other similar resources for confirmation on how and when others teach what to their own young-uns and with what succes or failure.<br><br>I have enjoyed this forum for a few months now and even get some entertainment from the more heated exchanges. This last on how youths are perceived / treated / raised is both informative and entertaining and I thank you all. I do find that the posts specifying how an individual deals with their own young-uns are the informative ones and those remarking (praising / criticizing / deriding) on how others are dealing with theirs are the entertaining ones. I come here for both entertainment and information (perhaps I should get a life) so this is all good for me. There may be some who come only for information (or who don't appreciate bickering as much as I do) who might not want to wade through the entertainment to get at the information. Certainly keeping the entertainment on the campfire helps alot.

#4842 - 03/14/02 07:19 PM Re: youth of today
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, ok. I’ve said repeatedly that I’m not a parent, and was never a Scout, and as such am not much qualified to comment. That disclaimer doesn’t seem to be quite enough, so it’s time for me to drop the thread.<br><br>I’ll be the first to admit that my upbringing should not be a model for anyone else’s. Perhaps that’s why I’m not a parent. The last five years or so of my time in my parent’s home was basically a million variations on the same conversation:<br><br>“But, why can’t I do it?”<br><br>“We just don’t think you’re mature enough to handle it yet.”<br><br>“How do you know when I’m mature enough?”<br><br>“When you show enough responsibility.”<br><br>“How do I show responsibility?”<br><br>“By doing the right thing without being told.”<br><br>“Who determines what the right thing is?”<br><br>“We do.”<br><br>“So, basically you’re saying that I’m responsible when I do exactly what you want me to do, without being told, and I can make my own decisions so long as they’re the decisions you would have made for me anyway.”<br><br>“You got it.”<br>

#4843 - 03/14/02 07:29 PM Re: youth of today
Anonymous
Unregistered

Presumed,<br>Though you may not be a parent yet or ever a scout you have contributed greatly to my understanding and I very much appreciate your on-going contributions. It is refreshing and helpful to be reminded that experience is the best teacher of responsibility at all ages.<br>Thanks<br>Brad<br><br>p.s. a link to a write up on my father Jim Maxwell

#4844 - 03/14/02 07:51 PM Re: youth of today
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>As to my getting voted off early? HAH! We'd be having "longmeat" the first night and that show director would be missing. <<<<br><br>ROTFLOL!!!!!<br><br>The ratings would go through the ceiling... sort of a Real-life Crocadile Dundee meets Survivor. I love it.

#4845 - 03/14/02 09:22 PM Re: youth of today
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks Chris, i'll try not to ge tso angry in the future.<br>-james

#4846 - 03/14/02 11:26 PM Re: youth of today
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<<Id drag all the equipment to the native people never mentioned, anounced I was John From ( ask HikerDon to explain) and live the good life! >><br><br>LoL! Hmmm... do you think they'd believe you? Maybe at least until the batteries expired... <grin><br><br>Tom

#4847 - 03/15/02 12:04 AM Re: youth of today
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Im talking about Micronesian Cargo cults. During WW2 the native people were amazed at the big birds that brought all this wonderfull stuff from heaven. When the militay left, they said "John from America" wouldl come back with more stuff. There are still shrines with small wood carved airplanes devoted to the great John From. This has naturally exasperated various missionaries, government officials etc. with other agendas for these people. When ever a religous group or cult approaches me, I merely state Im a cargo cultist and do they have a big silver bird full of stuff for me ;^)

#4848 - 03/15/02 12:31 AM Re: youth of today
Anonymous
Unregistered

ROTFLMAO!!<br><br>Chris, can those of us who have to put up with self-appointed saviors on a regular basis borrow this?

#4849 - 03/15/02 12:33 AM Re: youth of today
Anonymous
Unregistered

*Raven scrathes head with foot*<br><br>Uh, PL, you describing parents, or government officials? <br><br>:)<br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.