Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#48188 - 09/06/05 03:32 PM Re: Rifle, low maintenance but reliable
Burncycle Offline
Addict

For survival, you can take deer even if all you have is a .22 LR.... however this is clearly not the ideal round for the job! Along those lines, 5.56mm will certainly do the job. Again, generally frowned upon for recreational hunting, but when you're in a pinch like a survival situation, you use what you have. As mentioned though, small game is what you'll probably be nibbling off of mostly...

What you chose largely depends on what it's for. An M-6 Survival Rifle (.22 LR or .22 Hornet over .410) would be great if all you were using it for was hunting small to medium (deer) sized game. It might found a little lacking if you come across a bear, or an armed enemy of the two legged variety though!

You didn't mention expense, but a good milsurp bolt action (enfield, mosin nagant, etc) or an SKS, if you perfer semi automatic, are a couple of very reliable, very ruggid options that won't break the bank.

It all comes down to what you'll be using it for, and what floats your boat- some people like the full power rifles, some like intermediate powered rifles, some like lever actions, some like bolt actions, some demand something in semi auto... so on and so forth. If you really like the combo guns, and if the M-6 is on the smallish side for your tastes, there are companies that make combos in larger calibers. Savage, for instance, offers a combo gun with a 12 gauge on bottom, and a variety of rifle choices on top: http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm but it's expensive

#48189 - 09/06/05 07:26 PM Re: Rifle, low maintenance but reliable
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the clear choice for survival situations is either an AK-47 or an AR-15 style rifle. Both are adequate for hunting, and both are reliable in rough field conditions (though the AK is significantly more durable than the AR). Obviously, both are excellent for personal protection. If you balk at owning a military style rifle, then my recommendation would be to purchase a pump action shotgun like the Mossberg 590 or the Remington 870, and purchase a combination of birdshot and slugs. You should have the bead sight on the shotgun replaced with a rifle-style V-notch or ghostring sight, for hunting and protective purposes.

#48190 - 09/07/05 01:24 PM Re: Rifle, low maintenance but reliable
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Well, before you think you're going to be able to live off the land with your trusty survival rifle or shotgun, consider that if you've never killed, dressed and cooked an animal, the first time to do that isn't when you're standing in 33 degree rain, shivering and wondering how you're going to start a fire to cook a squirell - IF one ever comes by.

I'd like to chime in with the basic fact that the definition of a "survival gun" is a weapon used at a distance to kill game for food purposes. This is not the same as a defensive weapon, or even an offensive weapon, which is intended to shoot people.

Yes, you can hunt with a defensive or offensive weapon, but these tend to be larger, heavier guns like a Remington 870 Shotgun or any of the AR-15 Military rifles.

The combination guns - a rifle and a shotgun in one unit - are pretty neat as a survival gun. The M6 Scout, sadly no longer made, is one of my favorites. Mine is in .410/.22LR and it's pretty darn good for a simple gun.

I've also got an AR-7, which is a Semi-Auto .22. I like it for the "cool" factor - it is easily taken apart and all the parts fit inside the stock.
A more polished and solid gun is the Savage 24F in 12Ga over .223, a really nice gun.

Handguns are prolematic for survival situations. Many people suggest a long-barel .22, typically a Ruger, however I've found that "the authorities" tend to have issues with handguns that they don't have with a long gun. This has implications for your emergency kit.

One last thought - ALL guns need maintenance. ALL guns. I'm obsessive about cleaning my guns and storing them dry and STILL I found a little bit of rust on one of my guns yesterday. I nearly had a stroke.

#48191 - 09/07/05 02:11 PM Re: Rifle, low maintenance but reliable
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
While the 22 Hornet is certainly not reccommended as the ideal, or even minimum, deer rifle, it probably has accounted for a lot of deer. If the hunter is a careful shot at 100 yards or less, a head shot will drop a deer. I would suggest a heavier caliber for deer such as a 243 Winchester. It doesn't have a stiff recoil for an inexperianced shooter and is much more effective at a longer range. Fit it with a moderate power scope and you have a very good rifle.
I take exception to the statement that shotgun slugs are "slow and low powered". At reasonable range, the moderen 12 gauge sabot is an accurate and effective deer killer. A 385 grain slug at 1900 ft/sec is not something I'd want to reach out and catch, although they will put 3 shots into a target the size of your palm.

#48192 - 09/07/05 02:47 PM Re: Rifle, low maintenance but reliable
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well it is the recommended minimum in many states, a quick search of DNR rules showed that WV wasn't the only place that allwed it and it doesn't have to be a head shot either but yes, I agree that 100 years if definatly a limit.
Compared to somethng like a .410 with slugs the .22 hornet will more easily take a deer. I know a lot of kids start out with the .410 slug, I did too and it didn;t have much stopping power at all.

#48193 - 09/07/05 04:26 PM Re: Rifle, low maintenance but reliable
Anonymous
Unregistered

When i lived in Canada you would see the SMLE everywhere, usually the Mk III with the wood cut back. Every Indian and Eskimo in the NWT had (has) one, every pickup rack, every farmer. You could get one then for the cost of 3 boxes of ammo.

Rugged-totallly. Ammo is not so available in the USA but if the shtf no other ammo is likely to be easy to get either. Easy and cheap to stock up now.

#48194 - 09/07/05 09:05 PM Re: Rifle, low maintenance but reliable
wildcard163 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Even the old "punkinballs" will take your fingers off to the elbow if you're foolish or unlucky enough to get in the way, that's a LOT of lead coming down range!!!

Troy

#48195 - 09/08/05 01:25 AM Re: Rifle, low maintenance but reliable
pooch Offline

Loc: Sarasota
It's waaay overkill for this type of use, but I'd happily grab my FAL on my way out the door. The carbine version is of reasonable length, but the weight is a bit more than I'd want to carry for long distances (especially with other equipment and ammo). But despite these things, it has seen service all over the world in all types of climates. They tend to be extremely reliable, and can eat just about anything you feed them, thanks to the adjustable gas system. Spare parts used to be plentiful, but you'd have to check on this these days. DS Arms makes some excellent FALs. (In fact there are some currently in service in the Middle East with some of our SF guys.)

Besides, there is an online forum that is almost as fun as this one called the FALfiles. The folks there have tons of experience with these, and could help you more than I.

#48196 - 09/08/05 01:31 AM Re: Rifle, low maintenance but reliable
pooch Offline

Loc: Sarasota
I just re-read your post, and it sounds like you are open to all types of long guns.

That said, a shotgun is arguably the best firearm in most survival situations, due to the variety of loads available. The police in my area seem to really like the Benelli offerings. The M4 is very nice.

#48197 - 09/08/05 05:02 AM Re: Rifle, low maintenance but reliable *DELETED*
ProGunOne Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Burbank, Illinois
Post deleted by ProGunOne

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.