Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#478 - 04/05/01 02:22 PM How do you knot dental floss?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've never carried dental floss in my kits before, but I'm thinking of adding some for general tying or lashing needs. I experimented with tying some knots and couldn't get them to hold. I was using standard waxed floss and I tried a square knot, a fisherman's knot (the one with the 2 overhand knots that slide up against each other) and a sheet bend with no luck. <br><br>Does anybody know of a few knots that work well with floss? Is the wax the problem?<br><br>

#479 - 04/05/01 03:09 PM Re: How do you knot dental floss?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Any knot that will work on modern kevlar fishingline will work on dental floss. But I agree, until I found this out, it was frustrating.<br><br>

#480 - 04/05/01 03:46 PM Re: How do you knot dental floss?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. <br><br>Do you have any tips on how I would learn which knots work on Kevlar fishing line and/or how to tie them? Is there a website for instance? I'm only familiar with standard (i.e. Boy Scout Handbook) knots.<br><br>

#481 - 04/07/01 04:34 PM I'm going to forget knoting dental floss
Anonymous
Unregistered

I researched all the fishing knots I could find on the web (quite a few) for the purpose of using them with some survival dental floss for general tying and lashing. The fishing knots all seem to be for joining two lines together or for attaching a line to a hook, lure or leader (tied on a slack line and then carefully tightened). There was really nothing for securing a line under tension or tensioning a slack line (the functions of 2-half-hitches, a taught-line-hitch, square knot, etc.). I have decided that general lashing and tying around a survival camp won't be convenient without those kinds of knots, so dental floss is out. <br><br>The good news is that I found some very thin nylon string that I think I originally purchased as kite string that is only slightly thicker than dental floss and that knots beautifully. Forget dental floss, I'm going with the string.<br><br>By the way, if you are looking for a good knot for attaching monofilament to a fish hook, search the web for "Trilene knot." Apparently this knot is the latest and greatest. I include a Trilene knot diagram with my emergency fishing equipment. As a casual and uneducated occasional fisherman, I know that having the knot slip loose and come off of your hook is a very big possibliity since monofilament is so smooth and poor at holding knots. This would not be welcome in a survival situation. Losing the fish is bad enough, but losing the hook could be worse.<br><br>

#482 - 04/07/01 05:13 PM Re: I'm going to forget knoting dental floss
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you will have better luck with un-waxed floss. I use un-waxed floss for crafts projects and it seems to knot fairly well.<br>However, I have never used it for anything important such as fishing.<br>Ranger.<br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

#483 - 04/11/01 06:15 AM Re: I'm going to forget knoting dental floss
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Any waxed cordage can self release a knot under tension.I have some of the last silk manila lariats (waxed,no splinters).Even these are slippery for emergency packhorse lashing.The trick is to throw a second lockstitch,ie double tie a square knot.Waxed thread is ideal for field mending(boots,tents,packs etc). I use a speedy stitcher,which duplicates a sewing machine stitch in a hand held awl.I can't find them online,but for a order form write STEWART MFG.,INC. P.O.Box 330 Northboro,Ma 01532-0330. They are pretty common in feed/tack stores.Dixie Gun Works sells an excellent artificial sinew, www.dixiegun.com.<br><br>

#484 - 04/12/01 12:23 AM Re: I'm going to forget knoting dental floss
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can also try Tandy Leather. I bought my awl at one of their stores. They no longer have retail stores in my area but I believe they are online.<br>Ranger.<br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.