Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#47676 - 09/01/05 03:07 AM Re: Learning from Katrina...
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
No offense, Widget!

But I wasn't totally stupid: I bought an acre & a house on high level ground (flood zone X -- the last place to flood). It's 60 miles as the crow flies from the volcano, and 35 miles from the nearest likely lahar flow (down the river valleys). It should be far enough from fast-moving projectiles. It's upwind (west) of the volcanos (not perfect -- could still get ash). I'm out of reach of tsunamis.

I could be cut off from going far by flood or ash fall. But it's still one of the safer places around western WA.

I have wood & a wood stove. I have water stored. I have some food stored... ate most of it while I was unemployed. I have a garden in season. I keep dog and cat food ahead of need. I'm a little short on cat litter, but if Rainier blows, I guess I could always use ash!

If there's a major quake, I have my tent & all the above.

But if there's a moving fire or a chemical spill, I'm outta here!

Sue

#47677 - 09/01/05 03:48 AM Re: Learning from Katrina...
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Go figure. Even the Shiites pilgrims removed their shoes to cross a bridge when hundreds died in a stampede in Iraq at about the same time.

#47678 - 09/01/05 04:50 AM Re: Learning from Katrina...
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You just never know about people.

One thing I was wondering today while watching the news tell about looters: Where are the looters putting their loot??? Inside the stolen submerged Mercedes?

I guess I just don't have a criminal mind.

Sue

#47679 - 09/01/05 05:36 AM Re: Learning from Katrina...
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Quote:
"When push comes to shove, our structures are frail. Our buildings will crumble, as will our bridges. Our roads will wash out. Cell phone towers will fall. Electricity, the blood of modern telecommunications and most everything else, will fail."

"Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair."

Bona Na Croin

#47680 - 09/01/05 05:45 AM Re: Learning from Katrina...
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
If your thoughts are wandering down that path - that at some point you may end up on your roof in a flood - perhaps enough PFD's for each member of the family, plenty of line and a few rescue floatation devices would be in order.

Bona Na Croin

#47681 - 09/01/05 07:09 AM Re: Learning from Katrina...
LED Offline
Veteran

i'll have to disagree with one of the posts that at least a 72 hour emergency kit would be of little use. if most people there had even a 24 hour emergency kit it would have helped. when you have nothing at all you're more likely to panic and the situation gets worse. if you have some sort of emergency backup, no matter how small, it would seem to make things at least a percentage better. i know i'd feel better if i had a small supply of water, medications, insect repellent, sun cover, etc. but then again, from my perspective its easy to speculate. but in my opinion, especially in high risk areas, especailly before a major storm, it would have helped if the local gov. at least tried to distribute a small provisions package (especailly to low income residents) just in case. but like i said, its easy for me to speculate. i can't even imagine what those people are going through.

#47682 - 09/01/05 10:39 AM Re: Learning from Katrina...
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
That seems like a good idea.

#47683 - 09/01/05 11:55 AM Re: Learning from Katrina...
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
When I was in college, peanut butter was survival food. Sounds to me like you just need to add a box of crackers to your jar of peanut butter.

I just try to keep a well stocked pantry of stuff I am going to eat anyway. Stock up on canned foods when they go on sale.

#47684 - 09/01/05 01:31 PM Re: Learning from Katrina...
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Two things that have been reinforced from this: (1) Most people have no idea the power of moving water, and (2) Clean water is (after air) the most precious stuff on earth.

I have rethought my day pack, adding 32 oz of water, for a total of 64 oz. Sure, it's heavy, but when you need it, you need it. In addition, I'm looking at ways to improve my BOB with stored water and purification methods.

Whenever I see some crisis on TV I always marvel that we have so much potable water we can afford to pour it on our lawns to make them greener. Well, other people do, anyway. My personal feeling is that you should never put anything on your lawn that makes it grow faster.

#47685 - 09/01/05 01:40 PM Re: Learning from Katrina...
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
Now that thought brought a HUGE smile to my face. I know there is a ctually a criminal stupid enough to do that.

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.