Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#44 - 02/03/01 01:02 PM Re: Fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

I always carry a magnesium fire block with striker on my key ring along with a Mag-Lite AAA Solitaire. I also carry a 3 blade Old Timer (Schrade) knife that I hae had for about the last 22 years( father gave it to me on my 8th B-Day). With those 3 things I am pretty certain I will not get into too much trouble that I cannot get myself out of. And before anyone says anything, yess I do always have it on me when I am away from home. It goes into my pocket as soon as I put on my pants. The only thing that might change is the type of knife I am carrying but I only use carbon steel blades so I always have a strikable metal with me.<br><br>

#45 - 02/04/01 09:55 PM Re: Fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

A bowdrill is a good way to start a fire with no matches...it takes some practice but after you get it it is nothing another good way is a hand drill but i find it a little harder....Tom Brown Jr. is a great soure for wilderness survival<br><br>

#46 - 02/04/01 09:57 PM Re: Fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

A bowdrill is a good way to start a fire with no matches...it takes some practice but after you get it it is nothing another good way is a hand drill but i find it a little harder....Tom Brown Jr. is a great soure for wilderness survival info<br><br>

#47 - 02/04/01 10:37 PM Re: Fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

tom brown jr .com or something? is it a book? give more info on him<br><br>

#48 - 02/05/01 02:17 PM Re: Cleaning Schrade Old Timer
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
May I ask how you clean the blades of your Schrade Old Timer? I have one with blackish stains on the blades and I'd like to get rid of those stains.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#49 - 02/06/01 12:04 AM Re: Cleaning Schrade Old Timer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Carbon steel will stain, and the stains protect the blade from rust. They also give the blade *character*. You can remove it with Flitz, or 0000 steel wool, but why would you want to?<br><br>

#50 - 02/06/01 06:45 PM Re: Cleaning Schrade Old Timer
Craig Offline

Oh. Didn't know that. Not to sound too uninformed, but I thought blade stains were "bad," something to be avoided.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#51 - 02/08/01 12:07 AM Re: Cleaning Schrade Old Timer
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only carbon steel knives without stains aren't being used.<br>With Old Timers, or any carbon steel, just keep it clean and dry. To protect it from rust when you aren't using it, put on a coating of mineral oil (from a pharmacy- it's edible). <br><br>

#52 - 02/08/01 02:19 PM Re: Cleaning Schrade Old Timer
Craig Offline

Thanks for the advice.<br><br>

#53 - 02/13/01 11:19 PM Re: Fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree that your chances that night of building a fire are less than zero. Tighten the draw strings on the bottom of the light jacket and fill with dry debris turing it into a make shift down jacket. Then start building a debris hut or simply a debris bed.<br><br>Something to get you up off the cold ground. At the same time use branches and debris to make a blanket. If light is fading fast, you don't have much time to build a full blown debris hut. You might get lucky and have a full moon that would allow you to make more extensive preparations.<br><br>While you are waiting for morning light, review all the techniques you know about fire lighting and building. Review all the information about getting found though signaling techniques, wilderness navigation, water collection, etc. Be thankful that you left a trip plan with your family and a trip plan on the dash board of your vehicle.<br><br>When morning light arrives, start implementing the plan you made during the evening. Determine if you are going to wait for rescue or implement a self rescue and walk out.<br>Mark you location with rock or stick signs. Implement the distress signals you reviewed last night. If leaving, drag a stick so you will leave easy signs to follow. If staying put, begin collecting wood for fire, improving debris hut, and building fire machines.<br><br><br><br>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.