Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#466 - 04/03/01 04:49 PM Carry-on survival kit
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
This weekend a friend of mine lost her luggage flying to London from Sweden. She did however carry her bathroom things and a spare set of underwear in her cabin luggage. Now I need you out there to help me on the following topic: Im travelling to Malaysia this summer (jungle survival, se old post). As I will fly and stay in populated areas as well as in the jungle Im thinking of bringing a carry on-trolley with bare essential survival gear. The drawbacks are: a. size does matter and some flights limit the the carry on size to 45x35x20cm. b. the whole case cant weigh more than 13lbs (6,5kg). c. I want survival gear for both urban survival (fire, burglary-alarm) and wilderness/water-survival. d. It should be "carryable" on any flight anywhere in the world! Any real life prooven ideas are welcome. Please no armchair ideas! Im havinbg the folowing basic ideas: 15m of thin climber grade rope (6mm) for emergency repelling out of burning building, flashlight, combined smokedetector/movement sensor/burglar alarm. full set of goretex waterproof clothing (jacket+pants), Toilet kit with a roll och toilet paper, small travellers medical kit. Spare clothing to last 24-48 hours if the big bags end up in Qatar or Ulan Bator. A warm shirt or pullover. small cooking pot. Anything I missed?<br><br>Thank You!<br><br>Stefan, Sweden<br><br>

#467 - 04/03/01 06:47 PM Re: Carry-on survival kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Reserve a 2nd floor room.This makes emergency egress(jump) feasable,and reduces likelyhood of burglars entry via same.Forget Goretex! read the information on www.wiggys.com .Water treatment is a must,and don't use ice in any drinks.Malasia has a large Islamic population.Avoid alcohol and they will esteem your presence more.If you will be visiting any traditional peoples,find out what gifts are appreciated.I took Magnesium bars to Guatemala.I hate them,the Maya people love them.I received knowledge in trade.make copies of all documents(passport,medical etc.)they aren't legal replacements,but really help in the event of loss.<br><br>

#468 - 04/03/01 06:48 PM Can yor carry-on a lighter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a related question: what kinds of things (that are likely to be in a survival kit) can't you carry on to an airplane. I know that in general, flammables and pressurized containers are among the items restricted. That certainly would describe matches and lighters, but It is hard for me to believe that a common pocket lighter would actually fail to clear security. Especially when smoking is still allowed on some flights (not many years ago on all flights). Does anybody know how lighters and matches are treated at airport security? It would be a bummer to be forced to give up your survival equipment unexpectedly when leaving on a trip.<br><br>Obviously large knives would also be a problem, but I believe knives with blades shorter than 4 inches in the US are allowed. And no need to mention firearms. Clearly not allowed in the cabin.<br><br>

#469 - 04/03/01 09:43 PM Re: Can yor carry-on a lighter?
peanut Offline
Journeyman

I'm one of those dinosaurs that still smoke. I've never had a problem carrying a lighter or small/moderate folding knife aboard commercial airliners. Caveat - I have only flown domestic, but I hear our security is tighter than most. But then again, once I carried a loaded .22 magazine in my carry bag on a round trip, didn't know I had it until I unpacked at home. I guess sometimes they just aren't paying attention to the x-ray machine. DON'T TRY THIS unless you look good in steel bracelets.<br><br>a prodigal scout, just trying to be prepared.

#470 - 04/03/01 10:39 PM Re: Can yor carry-on a lighter?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Image is everything! Many nations outright ban the possession,let alone wearing of camoflage clothing.A survival kit isn't far from some Walter Mitty's dream of busting terrorists,soldiers of fortune or smugglers.I leave my cold steel SRK at home and pack a politicaly correct,birch handled puukko for example.<br><br>

#471 - 04/04/01 03:18 PM Stefan, how about knife and lighter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the feedback, guys. In that case, Stefan, how about adding a small folding pocket knife and disposable cigarette lighter? I carried a folding Gerber LST (blade about 3 inches) through airport security in Germany, Greece, Turkey and the US without difficulty in 1989. I think your survival kit would hardly be complete without those. I don't know how strict the authorities are where you are travelling. If a knife would be a problem, maybe a razor blade [for shaving, of course ;-) ] could be carried instead.<br><br>Also, get some sort of money belt or security wallet with wire reinforcements in case the pick-pockets target you. I like to cary one in addition to my regular wallet which has one credit card and minimal cash for easy access during routine purchases. If I got robbed, I would give up the regular wallet and still have my back-up credit card and most of my money and the phone number to cancel the lost card.<br><br>The motion detector/smoke alarm is a great idea. Try to position it to cover both the door and the window while you sleep.<br><br>

#472 - 04/04/01 07:10 PM Re: Carry-on survival kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hat. I recommend one with a wide brim that is scrunchable packable. I would recommend either a wide brim all the way around or a bill in the front with a curtain in the back for neck coverage. Something like www.pakhats.com<br><br>Multi tool. A knife is useful everywhere. A multi tool is useful in an urban environment and somewhat useful in a wilderness environment.<br><br>Plastic Trash Bag<br><br>Button Compass. Walking around unfamiliar towns or wilderness, it gives you a direction to head. They make several that fit on your watch band.<br><br>

#473 - 04/05/01 06:02 AM Re: Can yor carry-on a lighter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

;-)<br>Another dinosaur here.<br>I've traveled quite a bit, both domestic and abroad.<br>NEVER had a problem with carrying a lighter. In fact, most countries are more tolerant of smokers than the USA.<br>For a knife, I take a politically correct Swiss Army knife in my carry-on. Not a problem with that either.<br><br>Guillermo Pico-Munoz<br><br>

#474 - 04/06/01 08:38 PM Re: Carry-on survival kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out www.pac-safe.com. They have securing system for packs. They also have a secure pouch that you can use for smaller items. Your survival equipment, whatever you may choose, will be useless if it is stolen.<br>I agree with Chris, Goretex is over rated. If it gets dirty it loses its breathable waterproof properties. It basically becomes a cheap piece of plastic.<br>Take a tarp. Trust me it will be useful. If you don't feel like sleeping on the wet ground sleep on the tarp. If you don't feel like sleeping on a ratty bed in whatever hotel you are in sleep on the tarp. If you don't feel like sleeping in the rain sleep under the tarp. If you don't feel like walking in the rain wear the tarp.<br><br>

#475 - 04/07/01 03:25 AM Re: Carry-on survival kit /goretex
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I went through more generations of Goretex than Star Trek! First it was sealing the untaped seams,carefull washing and finally utter failure of the material.I was still getting wet.Then I had "vapor barrier"technology thrown at me.I am not a hamhock in soup!I was about to go back to my 19th century riding slicker and canvas and wool blanket bedroll! then I spent one night up a redwood tree in a wiggys bag. Check out his site and read about goretex.www.wiggys.com<br><br>

#476 - 04/07/01 06:02 AM Re: Can yor carry-on a lighter?
lostinthewoods Offline
newbie member

Loc: U.S.A. A.Z. prescott valley
Yes you can carry on a lighter my mom has on meny times.And my frend has carred on the poilce model spyderco with a 4 or 4.5 in. blade but that was on domestic flights.You cancall the airlines and representativ to the country you are visiting. Hopethis helps.<br><br>wwwaaaaaasssssssssuuuuuuppppppp

#477 - 04/07/01 05:23 PM Re: Can yor carry-on a lighter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I work for a Major Airline. Lighters are fine to carry-on. You would only have trouble with extra fluid or a large quantity of flints.<br>Ranger.<br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 152 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.