Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#46436 - 08/13/05 04:29 PM Seat belt cutter/window breaker tool
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Does anybody make one tool that has both of these functions built in? If not, what are the safest tools to use in a car wreck in or out of water?

#46437 - 08/13/05 08:38 PM Re: Seat belt cutter/window breaker tool
Dan Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York City
The first thing that comes to mind is the Life Hammer. It has both.You can get it at Brigade Quartermasters for $14.99.(actiongear.com)

#46438 - 08/13/05 09:21 PM Re: Seat belt cutter/window breaker tool
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I've read that those cheap plastic hammers arn't heavy enough to break thicker auto glass. I have one of those S&W knives with the glass breaker, but I also have a D cell maglight secured under my seat and a Benchmade rescue hook secured on my visor.

#46439 - 08/13/05 11:25 PM Re: Seat belt cutter/window breaker tool
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spencer Rescue Lifehammer: http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/40

Fitted in my car. Bascially it is a regular hammer + Window breaking hammer (i.e a hammer with a steel point that will smash easily through any car window glass) + a seat belt cutter (a safety razor sharp blade that can cut through thick material but with no risk of cutting yourself on it).

#46440 - 08/14/05 12:58 AM Re: Seat belt cutter/window breaker tool
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Well, I've been on a few auto extrication jobs.

First of all, before you bust out a window to get a person out of a car - try the door, ofetn enough, it will open. If they hit hard enough that the doors are jammed, the windows are often blown out anyway.

As far as seat-belt cutters and the like, I just use a utility knife (sheetrock knife) and a spring-loaded center punch. Keep the dull side of the blade toward the victim. Remember to cut both the lap and shoulder belt. To punch a window, put your spring loaded punch down in a corner of the window, hold it in one hand and hold the other hand around the punch. Ideally, you'll want to be wearing gloves, if not you WILL get a cut as the glass blows out. Also bear in mind that this technique DOES NOT work on Windsheilds, Rear Windows, and on the side windows of some late model cars. If the airbags deployed, bear in mind that they might not have ALL deployed and you (and the patient) are at some risk of injury. While it's not always possible, try reaching in and turing off the ignition, which will de-energize the airbags (but not immediately). If this is not possible, try cutting the NEGATIVE (black) battery lead. If that's not possible, you just gotta go for it.

Hope that helps.

#46441 - 08/14/05 01:11 AM Re: Seat belt cutter/window breaker tool
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
First of all, before you bust out a window to get a person out of a car - try the door, ofetn enough, it will open. If they hit hard enough that the doors are jammed, the windows are often blown out anyway.

Thanks for that info. I didn't even think about how if the door is stuck, the window will have been blown out. It makes sense. I was once rear-ended, at low speed, in a mini-van. The rear window was blown out, and the rear-door still worked. I guess the chances of needing a center-punch are small. I have a Benchmade rescue hook, and the Smith & Wesson rescue knife. The reason I have both is because I got the S&W first, then heard about the rescue hook, got one, and liked it more, but I left the S&W knife in the car also.

Robert

#46442 - 08/14/05 02:21 AM Re: Seat belt cutter/window breaker tool
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
Our family has the ResQMe in all our cars, or on keyrings (I prefer mounting in the car). Here's a link to their web page.

I haven't tested it on windows or seatbelts, but the blade appears capable of severing a seatbelt, & the spring punch leaves a substantial divot in wood when test fired.

David

#46443 - 08/14/05 03:50 AM Re: Seat belt cutter/window breaker tool
Anonymous
Unregistered

The nice thing about the spring loaded center punch is, if you buy a good one, it is a really good center punch.

I am really not trying to be a smart ass.

#46444 - 08/14/05 07:12 AM Re: Seat belt cutter/window breaker tool
ProGunOne Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Burbank, Illinois
I think S&W has a model that has the spring loaded punch and s/b cutter in one tool which IMO would be more desireable for an underwater rescue scenario?

#46445 - 08/14/05 04:17 PM Re: Seat belt cutter/window breaker tool
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
I'm an EMT with a rural fire department. I keep a Res-Q-Me attached to my turn-out coat and have used it at several MVAs. It definatly works as advertised, both to open side windows and cut restraints. In addition, for someone injured inside the vehicle, it takes less room and strength to break a window than swinging a rescue hammer.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.