The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#46376 - 08/12/05 11:36 PM Nuclear event
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
WorldNetDaily and Dr. Jane Orient are beating the drum on the possibility of a nuclear attack in the US. It appears that the things you can do in increasing cost and inconvenience are: buy potassium iodide, buy a radiation detector, and install an underground shelter.

I bought a box of ThyroSafe for about ten dollars. Now I am thinking of getting the Nuk-Alert key chain alarm. It cost $160 and I’m sure my wife would think it is a total waste of money. I’m not about to put an underground shelter in my back yard but I have been looking around for shelter sites that would be better than our house.

Does anyone else have concerns about a nuclear event happening in the US?

#46377 - 08/12/05 11:47 PM Re: Nuclear event
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have a fallout shelter in the building next to my house.

#46378 - 08/13/05 12:07 AM Re: Nuclear event
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Just because there is a nuclear attack in the U.S.A doesn't mean it's going to be near you. I think it's important to figure out where you live in terms of attack areas and then decide if you need any of the above.

While I understand a nuke make go off course or may happen in a random place there are places that are MORE likely to have fallout or suffer from the hit.

#46379 - 08/13/05 02:40 AM Re: Nuclear event
ProGunOne Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Burbank, Illinois
Haven't read the article, but would guess the more likelyhood of a dirty type nuke device versus an actual blast? Either way, being suburban Chicago and working in the Intermodal Transportation Industry are two strikes against me. As far as being concerned, yes I am extremely concerned. The various media outlets warned us for some time that we were vulnerable to terrorist attack. A well thought out, rehearsed plan and maybe an out-of-town or away from town relatives or friends house (alternate routes) equipped with supplies, food, water, ammo is what most I know have planned for.

#46380 - 08/13/05 03:07 AM Re: Nuclear event
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Craig-

You mention potassium iodide. Here's an interesting discussion of alternatives, one being the topical application of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine.

I know that everyone on this forum is mindful of the obvious: in the wrong hands, or administered to the wrong people, any of these "cures" could be worse than the "disease."

Your question about the likelihood of a nuclear event...I'm not a doomsdayer by any stretch, but clearly 9/11 [should have] taught us that we no longer have the luxury of believing that certain events are "unthinkable." Particularly if one puts any credence in articles such as "Al-Qaida nukes already in U.S.".

Just my $.02.

Dan

#46381 - 08/13/05 03:09 AM Re: Nuclear event
7k7k99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I agree, worldnetdaily is hamming the drumbeat of a nuke attack and they got me to subscribe to their special bulletin for at least a month, but I quit it when I realized that a lot of his info is single sourced, which is not the kind of information I would want to bet my life on, or pay 9.95 a month for. That said, I purchased the nuke-alert keychain from nitro-pak.com a couple of months ago for $119, a savings over the $160 from the nuke alert website. after having it for a day or so, I sent it back, figuring the $120 cost would buy a lot of other survival gear that might be more useful. I had a thread on this forum related to the nuke alert -- you can search that if you wish. worldnetdaily listed the potential targets for nuke attack, if you are in one of those areas, I might consider the keychain, but since I am in central ohio and not listed on the supposed terror target list, I didn't keep it. I am making other preparations including Iosat tablets. I think we will probably suffer some type of nuke attack in the future, who knows when or by who -- and an emp attack 200 miles above the U.S. or a dirty bomb are the likely scenarios. but terrorists are creative and may do something totally different. Try to be as prepared as you can, but be smart with your expenditures, get the most for your money.

#46382 - 08/13/05 04:06 AM Re: Nuclear event
anotherinkling Offline

Loc: Chicago
I live in Chicago, so I've been watching/reading the news very intently of late. I bought KI tabs awhile back and am interested in the Nukalert (I'll have to read the existing thread). For a time, I'd thought that an Escape from Chicago would be the best option in a large-scale terrorist attack, but I'm second-guessing the feasibility of that now. As it is, it takes me over an hour to get anywhere remotely "remote." In an evacuation scenario, I think that sheltering in place might be the only option, at least for the first few days. I live in an apartment building, so it would be a little tricky, As to the likelihood of a nuclear event, I think it's inevitable. But I also think that there will be a lot of folks who "never thought it could happen" who will die needlessly for their lack of preparation.

#46383 - 08/13/05 07:24 PM Re: Nuclear event
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eh ... being in NYC I still feel (4 years later) that we've all got big red bull's-eyes painted on our backs. But I still feel that the likelihood of a "dirty bomb" attack here is much, much higher than the likelihood of a true thermonuclear explosion -- much easier (technically) than actually achieving fission and almost as good at stampeding the general public into hysteria, even though the actual body count would be much lower with a dirty bomb. Just my $0.02.

#46384 - 08/13/05 09:07 PM Re: Nuclear event
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
I have a lot of "questions" about the validity of the "news" coming out of Worldnet Daily and about them as a "news" source in general.

#46385 - 08/14/05 04:16 AM Re: Nuclear event
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brian, I am with you. We are subjected to so very much propaganda, and I cannot help but wonder what hidden agendas are at work.

Living in central San Antonio [seven melitary bases, depending upon how you count, maybe 10-15], I cannot help but think that should somebody set out to do some serious damage to the 'homeland' it should be here.

I just can't get real exercised about this. Perhaps I became unured to the concept as a small child, when we retired to the basement of my school for nuclear drills, and the SAC pilot's kid next to me said, when the teachers told us to put out heads between our kness, 'kiss your ass goodbye'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.