The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#45606 - 08/07/05 06:09 PM Re: Zippo Lighter Reviews, Ronson
KyBooneFan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Kentucky
Frediver, go to www.ronsoncorp.com and select WindII from the column on left. You can also purchase it from the web site (after you give them your life's history)! Build essentially like a Zippo. The Comet refillable (butane) is a nice looking compact lighter similar to throw away butanes. Has electronic ignition.

Boone

#45607 - 09/26/05 06:05 PM Re: Zippo Lighter Reviews?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
... I think that it was general Guderian that was criticized for smoking during WWII. His response was that tobacco had been friend, fuel, and fire to him when no man was...

How true ! But since I quit the Forces, I've also quit smokin' . I still have my Zippos and never had any complaints. But if you don't use yours regularly, it is a pain to fill and keep a supply of fuel & flints. I now use butane for most applications SOmething like this:

They come in a variety of shapes & sizes and are cheap. Might not be ideal in extreme conditions (wind / cold) but it's always a good idea to have a variety of fire sources...

#45608 - 09/26/05 09:32 PM Re: Zippo Lighter Reviews?
MGF Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Illinois
I think Zippos kick butt, but I wouldn't recommend them to folks who don't smoke. Just too easy to forget to fill them. I have a couple at the moment. The one I take hunting is checked out (as is all other gear) and topped off the night before the hunt, so I don't worry about it not being filled. And like most long-time Zippo users, I carry a spare flint or two under the pad.

I, too, prefer the Ronsonol fuel over the Zippo. It performs as well with -- to my snoz at least -- a little less smell.

Have tried the Ronson Windi (they always have them at Walgreens where I live). I suppose they're OK for the cost, but they don't perform as well as a Zippo, IMO. If the choice was Windi for $5 or a plain-jane Zippo for $10, I'd buy the Zippo.

Like Frankspin, I think those stemmed butane lighters are great for applications that don't require pocket carry. The extra reach is uber-handy.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.