Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#4524 - 02/28/02 08:33 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Extensive use of a keyboard will soak up battery power like mad. I nearly drained mine in two days when I was on an off site trip.<<<br><br>Is this one of the folding keyboards? I've used the "Gotype!" keyboard from LandWare (http://www.landware.com/gotype/index.html) on trips, and often for almost two years on the subway, and I really didn't notice much difference in battery life. I prefer the clamshell design to the folding design anyway- easier to use on laps, in bed, whatever where there's no hard flat surface.<br><br>I was given a used PalmV that I never really used, and that's part of the reason why... although it's lighter and smaller, I'd have to replace the keyboard, the cradles, the travel charger, the cases... peripherals can run into money, and if I had done all that, it would all be obsolete again now.<br>

#4525 - 02/28/02 08:52 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Could you connect the cradle to a drycell sled instead of using the DC converter that plugs into the AC outlet?<<<br><br>Well, if the recharging circuits are in the Palm, it shouldn't be necessary, of course. If they are in the cradle, then what you're describing should be possible.. although the recharging circuit might not be able to properly handle low-voltage input (since it's expecting it to come from a wall socket), so using anything less than fresh cells might be a concern. I'm out of my field of expertise, though, so this is just speculation.<br><br>I do know that this whole broad issue is (ostensibly, at least) why Motorola went to having chips on their mobile phone batteries that identify the battery type and the fact that it's a genuine Motorola to the phone. The phone will use after-market batteries, but it won't recharge them.. the problem was that all sorts of wierd third-party devices were being marketed, including compartments that fit the battery well but contained alkaline dry cells.. of course, the first time someone tried to recharge them, there was trouble... and Motorola decided they had to "idiot proof" the whole arrangement in self-defense. I doubt that Palm has done anything that sophisticated with their cradles, but...<br>

#4526 - 02/28/02 11:47 PM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Well, that would depend on whether the recharging logic is in the cradle or in the Palm itself.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Good point. I'm too busy to be interested in checking this out right now, but I know someone who can probably find out for me - I'll ask him. Meanwhile, I see that there is a 12vdc recharger out now for it that LOOKS like a common cell-phone power cord, and it is listed at about the cell-phone cord price. While that's not a definite, it gives me some hope that the logic is in the device rather than the cradle.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I’d much rather see a compromise of removable rechargeable cells, like a cell phone- so you could buy, charge and carry as many as you need to be comfortable for trips, without giving up the convenience of a rechargeable.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Me, too. After mine is out of warranty I intend to pop the back of the case off and look it over. Maybe proprietory fasteners on the back (4) - I can't say for sure without magnification - not that that will hold me up. There is no simple solution with the present models, tho. Like I said, tho, the m125 is same cpu, same connector, and SD/MMC slot in a little larger form factor and it uses 2 AAAs... if the size isn't a driving factor, these may make more sense - just my opinion.<br><br>I have not run my battery to death yet - like I said, I only recharge it every couple of weeks. It goes in the cradles for a daily synch and then immediately back in my pocket. It has been over a week since I charged it and the battery indicator shows about 70% - for what that's worth.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#4527 - 03/01/02 01:39 AM Re: PalmPilot Survival manual
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Palm and Visor chargers, <br>http://66.186.210.249/catalog.html

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.