Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4474 - 02/26/02 03:14 PM What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What was your reason for choosing it over some other brand?

#4475 - 02/26/02 03:24 PM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Danner Mountainlight II. I like a full grain boot for backpacking and these fit me well. I, along with many AT through hiker friends (I am not one) do not think favorably of goretex leather boots. My wife and I have always had good luck with Italian boots especially Scarpa, Asolo, Raichle and Lowa. However, these generally fit a narrower foot.

#4476 - 02/26/02 11:06 PM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Dropout,<br><br>For my money (he-he), and excluding extreme cold, Army issue combat boots with some modifications are ideal. First of all, I'm used to them (been wearing them 12 years now) and given that the Army gives me them for free and gives me new ones when they wear out, I won't spend money on commercial boots. I do modify mine; I have new soles put on them (I like the "waffle" design with no heels), spongy insoles and I generally have the toe boxes removed (although I haven't really been able to figure out if this really helps). Works great for me. The mods usually cost me less than $25.00 per pair. I also have one pair left "as issued" for military schools which require issue boots and a pair of professionally shined jump boots for inspections and class A occassions (which, in the Guard, are thankfully few and far between.) The only downside is the "military" look. The money I save on boots gets spent on replacement socks. Army issue socks, as a rule, suck. The SmartWool brand socks are great. <br><br>I wear Georgia steel toe boots to work. I love them. One of my coworkers, who bought a pair on my reccomendation, HATES them. Figure out what works for your feet. Try a lot on until you find them.<br><br>Andy

#4477 - 02/26/02 11:22 PM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
I wear Otomix Stingray boots everywhere: to work, for martial arts training, and hiking -- no matter how cold or wet it gets.<br><br>I live in Florida, so I'm lucky that such a lightweight shoe will keep me warm throughout the year.<br><br>I gave up on the idea of waterproof footwear last year after reading several lightweight and ultralight backpacking sites and Ray Jardine's book. The Otomix shoes get wet, but they dry out fast.<br><br>I also like the idea of training in the shoes I wear every day.<br><br>They are surprisingly rugged and long-lasting. The last pair I retired went for seven years, alternating each month with another, identical pair, which I'm wearing as I type.<br><br>Bear

#4478 - 02/27/02 01:46 AM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I've been through all too many pairs of Timberland daily wear/hiking boots and sent most of them back for replacement. The cloth inside behind my heel seems to wear through every time. Maybe it's an issue with how they fit?<br><br>I also had a pair of Vasque Clarion GTX for about 6 months before trading those in for some Zamberlan 631 Civetta GT RR boots. The Zamberlans (also Italian) have lasted the longest so far, (about 2 years) and I wear mine almost every day. Too bad they're getting that mildew smell now. Febreeze hasn't helped, anyone have any ideas?<br><br>As I said, I'm pretty happy with the Zamberlan Gore-Tex boots, but I do notice they don't breathe as well as others. I'm sure that contributes to the mildew problem. Is that the main concern with Leather/GoreTex? (other than price)

#4479 - 02/27/02 04:10 AM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Yes, exactly. The guys at Walisi Yi, a camping store ON the Applachian Trail have a very negative opinion of Gore Tex in leather boots because they are hotter, less permeable and initially less form fitting than plain old leather. Walisi Yi is about 5 days in from the start of the trail and they get a ton of feedback from thousands of hikers about what is working and what is not. After having Vasque Sundowners (an otherwise excellent boot), I noticed the difference and will not have leather Gore tex boots in the future.

#4480 - 02/27/02 07:35 AM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know about Florida. You might not need boots at all there. lol . If boots are used I think it might be better in the longterm to wear thick leather, i.e 2.8 mm. I agree that thin leather dries out quicker, and feet breathe better. I usually destroy socks because of a habit my big toe has of pressing against the top of the boot. Where the leather is thicker the sock lasts longer. I go for the Scarpa Delta. I've thought about buying 6 pair of these boots now, for the price keeps going up every year. Thick leather is best for most enviroments outside the extremes of the rainforest and the arctic.

#4481 - 02/27/02 07:39 AM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you get that mildew smell wash them out with liquid soap and dettol, and retire them for 6 months, but stuff them with some cotton.

#4482 - 02/27/02 07:45 AM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It goes without saying you should wear cotton socks next to your skin in warm weather, changing them often. In hot weather, especially on a trail like the appalachian, you should change your socks several times a day.

#4483 - 02/27/02 07:56 AM Re: What's your all-time favourite outdoor boot?
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thick leather makes me much more comfortable in snake country. _________________________________________________ PROVERBS 21:19

PROVERBS 21:19

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.