Here are some pics of my escape kit. It was originally on my SCBA at work but has been replaced my department equipment (FINALLY). It weights about 2lbs, is 3" x 6" x 9" and has 75' of line, 2 Locking "D"s and 20' of 1" tubular webbing.

The SMC Escape 8 works as well with 7mm line as a rescue 8 works wioth 1/2". I have tried 5mm with it and find it works better double wrapped.

Now, personally rapelling equipment is very low on my list of survival equipment. It may be more important in some enviroments and some 'missions" may require it as specific equipment. If there is an option to route around an obstacle rather than rapel or climb... of course that sometimes that isn't an option. I do throw my escape kit (or other rope gear) into my pack when I'm working in harsher terrain.

It has been said more than once in this tread, but it is worth repeating. You need to train with what ever you carry. There is no substitute for experience or training!