Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#44167 - 07/18/05 04:02 AM Re: Need Disaster Kit Pack Recommendations
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I want to be able evacuate my area, and then being able to live out of the pack for a few days.

Well, I would try to imagine the situation and what things you are likely to need and make your list.

For example in my case, the building I work in could be damaged in an earthquake. Getting out of the building could be an issue. Hence I decided to put gloves, a small titanium crowbar and an escape rope kit in my kit.

But everyone's situation is slightly different so you have to consider the specifics of your situation.

I also found it somewhat helpful to write just catagories of a kit (w/o the specifics) to help organize my thoughts. Something like this:

Personal Medications
First Aid
Food
Water
Environmental Protection
. weather / exposure
. [ heat, cold, water ]
. hazard [fire, debis]
Extracation
Communication / Signal
Mobility
Navigation
Information
. manuals
. frequencies
. inventory
. maps
. contact information
Utility
Comfort / Luxury
Spares / Duplicates
. [ eg, glasses, knife ]
Repairs
Defense
Special considerations
. [ eg, airplane travel ]
Other

You might keep a small pad with you as you are likely to think of things at random times. That way, you just whip out your pad, write down your thought and then go back to what you were doing.

I also found it useful to review other people's kits. I like to look at what people carry and think to myself if the various items would be useful to me. For example, Schwert has a kit very similar to mine (although a bit different approach). No big suprise since he is planning for the same types of problems. No big suprise since he works about a half mile or so south of where I do. :-)

Quote:
I am considering the Mountainsmith Cross Country II. It's an internal frame and has a 5000 ci volume. Unfortunately, there are no real outdoor retailers within a 100 miles of me so everything is mail order. I can't try it out in a store.

One thing you might want to do is check some reviews. I didn't find much when I looked for reviews of the Cross Country II -- is it a new model? For example, look here. If you can't go see and try your pack, it mght be good to pick one that at least you can read reviews about. Considering you are talking about seven days worth of food and possibly water, you probably want to make sure it does well with heavy loads, esp. if you are thinking you are going to need to cover a lot of miles with it.

-john

Edited for clarity (hopefully).

Edited by JohnN (07/18/05 04:47 AM)

#44168 - 07/18/05 04:28 AM Re: Need Disaster Kit Pack Recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

John,

Thanks for the insighful post and the link. I am going to put some more thought into this.

#44169 - 07/18/05 04:33 AM Re: Need Disaster Kit Pack Recommendations
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
I am a big fan of the "Three Day" style pack for a B.O.B. if you can make due with 2000 - 3000 cui (depending on the manufacture). Lightfighter carries various makes and models of this style pack.

As for bigger packs and heavier loads, I have found that what works for one person can be murdous to another. Although, a full 6000 - 8000 cui pack is going to hurt when carried all day, a good pack goes along way to making that effort less painful and thus increasing how far and fast you can move.

I personally like the Mystery Ranch System. They are hard to find, but are exceptionally comfortable and stable mostly due to the adjusatblity of their design. Although their website: Mystery Ranch doesn't show the older frame design I have their new designs look promising. I have carried some pretty heavy loads over some brutal terrain with good results with mine.

My advice would be:
Figure out how much you want to carry (max load). When you pick a pack, choose one that a. fits you well, b. has slightly more capacity than your expected max load, c. choose a pack or system that allows you to organize your equipment so that it is accessable without unloading your entire pack.

#44170 - 07/18/05 05:50 PM Re: Need Disaster Kit Pack Recommendations
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Have any of you ever rappelled with 3mm cord?

If not, be sure to consider how to rig your rappelling/belay device (rack or Figure 8), I suspect that there would be insufficient friction with the standard configuration on an 8 (you may have to doubled or even triple wrap the device) and be sure to start with all of the bars on your rack in place. While the 3mm and even the 5mm cord may have significant weight loading capacity, the reduced diameter (note: on regular low stretch/static rope, the rope will flatten at the point of contact with the belay device, thus increasing the surface area/friction) may not provide sufficient friction to maintain a controlled rappel. Many of the other auto-descending devices may not work at all with 3 or 5 mm rope. Be sure to check with the manufacturer of the device before varying the rope diameter, otherwise you may receive a nasty surprise when trying to rappel during an emergency situation.

Pete

#44171 - 07/18/05 06:14 PM Re: Need Disaster Kit Pack Recommendations
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
Guess you had better learn the Munter Hitch!!
You could of course always use your 8 as a stitch plate.

#44172 - 07/18/05 07:20 PM Re: Need Disaster Kit Pack Recommendations
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would not rely upon a Munter Hitch in a 3 or 5 mm line to control the decent of an average adult, especially under the pressure of an impending emergency. There are some micro-belay devices that I believe will work with smaller line, but again it is hard enough to safely rappel with a regular 8 or rack for persons who are not trained and do not practice on a regular bases, I cannot imagine doing so on 3 or 5 mm line.

Pete

#44173 - 07/18/05 07:40 PM Re: Need Disaster Kit Pack Recommendations
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Have repelled with 5mm cord using a munter hitch while fully turned out with an SCBA on durning "Saving Our Own" training... I was pushing 270# at the time. It isn't the easiest, but it works fine.

Now, I would rather use this setup:
SMC Escape 8
CMC Escape Line

Anyway you look at it, an emergency shouldn't be the first time you try a new skill or equipment. Practice may not make perfect but having done something before even in training can make an emergency less stressful and safer.

#44174 - 07/18/05 08:28 PM Re: Need Disaster Kit Pack Recommendations
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
How about:

PMI PED

-john

#44175 - 07/18/05 08:58 PM Re: Need Disaster Kit Pack Recommendations
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Training, training training –

Could not agree with you more, but again you used a Munter while training, for SOO Training under supervision and somewhat controlled conditions. I have seen too many individuals freeze up when placed under stressful situations, sometimes despite training. There are numerous case studies of rescue/training fatalities/injuries involving individuals (instructors/long time rescuers) that froze (mentally and/or physically) at some critical juncture of the operation.

I have no doubt that you and thousands of other Firefighters, including myself, have used this technique successfully. However, I have also witnessed drop tests using a Munter, where despite the strength of the belayer, the load could not be controlled and led to catastrophic failure.

The CMC Escape Descender would be my preference as well, with 5mm. It is designed and has been tested to work with 5mm+ rope. Note that the CMC Escape line is 7.5mm

Pete

#44176 - 07/18/05 09:57 PM Re: Need Disaster Kit Pack Recommendations
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
Yea if The Munter works pretty good when you get it right. It would not be my choice when doing HART but for just some gear and me it works fine. But if you screw it up your in trouble. Saw a buddy do a 40-foot belly flop when he messed up a hook up. So check what your doing and then check your partners.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.