The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#44078 - 07/17/05 02:37 AM Henry Survival Rifle
7k7k99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Who carries this in your BOB and what type rounds do you put through it?

http://www.henryrepeating.com/survival.cfm

I just ordered mine today at wallyworld

#44079 - 07/17/05 03:08 AM Re: Henry Survival Rifle
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
You know, I'm not into firearms, but even I appreciate the ability to put a rifile in a small, lightweight package like that.

#44080 - 07/17/05 04:13 AM Re: Henry Survival Rifle
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Damn. I had no idea the venerable Henry Repeater survived into this century. Go get 'em, Tiger. I'd love to own one. As this is a firearm AND over our limit of $100, I'd have to run it by My Better Half first.

-- Craig

#44081 - 07/17/05 04:14 AM Re: Henry Survival Rifle
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have wanted one of those since Armalite made them.
It is on my short list of firearms purchases to make.

#44082 - 07/17/05 04:33 AM Re: Henry Survival Rifle
7k7k99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
it's $144 at walmart + tax, not too bad considering the retail on the Henry website. I too thought it disappeared when Charter Arms went belly up. When I discovered it was still available, I decided to go for it.

#44083 - 07/17/05 04:40 AM Re: Henry Survival Rifle
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've had one for a few years, though it is not part of my BOB pkg. I have a different firearm(s) for that pkg.

This is a practical 22 carbine. It is a takedown, with the barrel and receiver disassembling easily and stowing in the butt stock, along with the magazine and a 50 rnd box of ammo in a watertight cavity that is sealed with a removalbe buttpad. It floats if dropped in water. It is a semi-automatic, which is not as desirable as a manual action, but it is reliable enough for survival use. It is moderately accurate with standard ammunition. Adding a scope to the pkg defeats it's takedown and stowage aspects, but does improve the abilities of the firearm some. While it is lighter than my Ruger 10/22, you will be surprised at how heavy it still feels in your pack in stowage mode. I've been able to make decent shots with it at 50 feet, and I can reliably shoot varmint sized game to 50 yards with it, which is almost as good as I can do with my other more conventional 22s. What this little unit needs is a small cleaning kit to go with it, but I guess you can pack that separately if need be.

I use Aquila Supersonic hp or Remington yellowjacket or any equivalent rounds. I consider the 22 a marginal round for survival, but it is far superior to throwing rocks. You just have to work a little harder to get the right shot is all.

I would still prefer a takedown 410 in a similar package, even if only a single shot.

#44084 - 07/17/05 04:42 AM Re: Henry Survival Rifle
Anonymous
Unregistered

You probably know the history of the weapon. It started out as the Armalite AR-7, and failed to get any military contracts. They rocked along with it for while, then licensed it to Charter Arms. Charter went under, and it was revived by Henry. There have been quality issues with Henry's repro lever actions. I have not seen the AR, but it is so simple it ought to be hard to screw up.

Charter did several versions of survival weapons that regretably never got off the ground. There have been several versions of the AR over the years in large handgun form. The stock on the AR is not comfortable, period, and triggers usually suck, which can be remedied by a decent smith. There was a 'sporterized' version that may not have even made it to market with a skeltonized alloy stock that looked to be much more shootable than the plastic. I wanted one when I saw the pictures, but I never saw one to buy.

Please report back when you have gotten to play with it for a while.

#44085 - 07/17/05 04:49 AM Re: Henry Survival Rifle
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are several H & R pattern single shot weapons out now with interchangeable barrels that have good potential as Ben says. Unless the Sprigfield M-6 comes back, they look like a good option.

#44086 - 07/17/05 01:01 PM Re: Henry Survival Rifle
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Yep, and with the acc'y barrel program you can build up about any package you want, plus there are some interesting pre-packaged sets. These have a very good reputation.

Here's your 410 - bonus 45 colt: Survivor

22/410 Combo

To get exactly what you want, check out the acc'y bbl program

Rossi USA has a similar weapon that we have previously discussed. The one I gave my nephew (22/20 ga) is going strong and very accurate, but others have had problems with the Rossi, so caveat emptor.

Regards,

Tom

#44087 - 07/17/05 02:27 PM Re: Henry Survival Rifle
Anonymous
Unregistered

I own a Charter Amrs AR-7, and it has been bounced around by myself and other family members for years. My one grumble with it that the stock is a fairly soft plastic, so it picks up a lot of scratches and scuffs if it isn't protected. Also, I think they could have put two magazines in there, but it might have made the floatability iffy.

I like Russian subsonic match for it for really small game. I have a couple of spare mags, and the one with a white band painted on it is loaded with cold ones, while the others are loaded with the most cost efficent high (not hyper) velocity hollowpoints that are on the shelf when I need to buy more.

One thing I am thinking of doing is epoxying a small nub onto the underside of the stock so I can wrap a length of webbing around it and not have it slide forward under tension, then maybe add a small pouch to the side. I already put a tiny dot of white enamel on the front sight, and a matching half ring to the rear, for speed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.