Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#43694 - 07/14/05 06:54 AM Re: good holster for my bugout/hiking firearm ?
JAF Offline

Handyman, every one of the holsters suggested are great ones, but don't forget to check them out first to see which one fits you the best. Have seen to many slingers get a well fitted firearm and get a lousy holster. I have even went to such lengths as to pick one out with my hinking stuff on to see if it fits. (talk about the looks) Since I also would grap my shot gun if I had to a great little cleaning kit is the Otis tactical kit (www.otisgun.com) This thing is a little bit bigger then a chewing tobacco can and will clean anything from .17 to .50 plus shotguns!!! It is about $44, but you only need one kit to clean everything. I carry this for my muzzleloader, hunting and target firearms. Also it cleans from the chamber out, which is the best way to clean. By the way think finding a good holster for a Ruger GP100 is hard, try finding one for a Mark II Gov't model with bull barrel (My bugout gun). Hope this helps and stay safe.

#43695 - 07/14/05 09:29 AM Re: good holster for my bugout/hiking firearm ?
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
I have found that for outdoor purposes, I much prefer flap holsters. They are designed to tiny bits of trash from finding their way into your gun. They save a lot of cleaning and generally protect the gun more. The challenge is to find flap holsters. Uncle Mike used to make them. I think Galco and Mitch Rosen have also made them. The variant of Bianchi's military holster is only one currently mfgd. of which I am aware.

I also prefer holsters of Cordura Nylon for outdoor use. They can take a lot of abuse without showing it.

I have happily used Bianchi's current thumb break holster of cordura nylon in both belt loop and paddle attachments. Both have their pros and cons.

These comments apply only to belt/waistband holsters. I still haven't gotten around to trying the other modes of carry.

Good luck,

John

#43696 - 07/14/05 10:59 AM Re: good holster for my bugout/hiking firearm ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My peference is for a synthetic, full flap, cross draw. However, if you want strong side, high ride leather, look for a Bianchi #5BHL. I use one for a S&W K frame 1 1/2, and I think it isw nearly perfect short of a custom from El Paso.

#43697 - 07/14/05 07:28 PM Re: good holster for my bugout/hiking firearm ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For a holster I use a Bianchi 111. It covers the cylinder and hammer area very well. Also gives you the option of wearing it crossdraw or strong side draw.
My travel cleaning kit is a Otis Kit & Kaboodle. It's a flex rod system. Stores in a round cordura container just a little bigger than a Skoal Snuff can.

#43698 - 07/15/05 04:33 AM Re: good holster for my bugout/hiking firearm ?
MGF Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Illinois
JAF,

Have never had the Gov't Model, but did have a bull barrel 5.5" barrel Mk2 in stainless.

Oddly enough there was a leather Bianchi or Galco holster made for a revolver (perhaps a single-action revolver?) that fit that fit that gun nearly perfectly. The snap-over strap went snugly over the curve in the backstrap of the gun and secured it nicely.

Sadly, I no longer have gun/holster, so I can't tell you which model the holster was. But if you have a dealer who will let you take the holsters out of their packaging and test the fit using one of his in-stock guns, you might fool around a bit and find a holster that fits your Ruger.

Mark

#43699 - 07/15/05 07:35 AM Re: good holster for my bugout/hiking firearm ?
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
All right, Randjack, let's have some details. You can't just coyly comment that you have an S & W model 1 ½ and leave us hanging. We have laws against cruel and unusual punishment you know.

Incidentally, if your reference was just a typo (the only S & W model 1 ½ of which I know was the SA revolver mfgd. 1878-1892), I still can't figure out what model you mean.

I also like Bianchi's 5BHL, but I never quite feel comfortable with the fully exposed trigger in an outdoor setting. Too many branches and other graspy things are lusting for the chance to pull the trigger, stopped only by the thumb strap over the hammer.

Regards,

John

#43700 - 07/16/05 09:48 AM Re: good holster for my bugout/hiking firearm ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sorry: its a Model 66 (stailess version of the m 19) in a 2 1/2 barrel. I don't type worth a danm.

#43701 - 08/20/05 07:09 PM Re: good holster for my bugout/hiking firearm ?
ProGunOne Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Burbank, Illinois
Have you considered the Barami Hip Grip. Not sure if I spelled it correctly. It's a grip that replaces your original grip. It has an extra lip on it that hooks onto your belt and will not let the gun drop below your belt line?

#43702 - 08/23/05 12:38 PM Re: good holster for my bugout/hiking firearm ?
NAro Offline
Addict

Barami is very insecure for outdoor carry. Much better suited for IWB strong side carry. But I promise you that with acrobatics it is apt to pop loose. Acrobatics like tripping over a log, etc.

I like nylon or Kydex for exposed outdoor holsters. I've had no problems ever with Uncle Mike's products (though they aren't glamorous). As for Kydex, well.. I make Kydex holsters and I often carry a pistol in a Kydex holster with a Kydex "flap" (actually a swing-back cover) in the woods. HOWEVER, it IS noisy!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 389 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.