Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#43364 - 07/09/05 10:06 PM Re: Good small xenon flashlight?
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Part of the point of the Orb Raw is that it's tiny. Under 2 inches long and less than an inch wide. It weighs 30g. It's a keyring light that puts out 100 lumen.

That's pretty cool. I didn't know it was so small. Sounds a lot like the size of the E1e.

Quote:
I recently bought a Surefire L1 which I did intend as a suvival light, but I'm disappointed with it,

What don't you like? Too focused? You could consider adding a F04 beamshaper.

Quote:
so I'm casting around for alternatives.

Personally, I think an optimal EDC situation is something that can go from about 2 to 60 lumens in at least three steps.

The only real thing close to that at this time is the SF U2. With six output levels and 100 lumens, I think this would be a reasonable all-in-one solution.

Other than that, I think the next best thing would be a combo. In order to get three levels, at least one of the lights would have to be a multi level light.

My solution is a SF E2e (sometimes SF M2) + SF L1 (old style). I'm very happy with this, but if I was going to do it all over again, I would use a SF E2e + HDSsystems.com EDC light with beamshaper lens AND diffuser (I think task lights should be very "flood").

-john

Edited by JohnN (07/09/05 10:08 PM)

#43365 - 07/09/05 10:26 PM Re: Good small xenon flashlight?
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
My carry right now is an A2 if I think I will need a lot of light, or an E1e-HA with new KL1 head for EDC. I'm looking to get a KL4 head for my E2e which is just as bright as a the regular E2e with no bulbs to burn out. With a beamshaper it would be perfect EDC for me. If I need less light I just put my hand over it or put something over the lense (like my bandana, shirt, paper, ect), it doesn't get as hot as the xenons so you can put stuff over it (though I would still keep an eye on it).

#43366 - 07/10/05 03:05 AM Re: Good small xenon flashlight?
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I have had a couple of the Streamlight TwinTask 2Ls. I liked them quite a bit as car lights, but I've since switched to these lights:
Nuwai 3-watt hi/lo
(I bought mine here - no connection to this dealer but my transaction went fine and they answered a lot of questions via email).
Pretty much the same size (the head has a larger diameter). It's got a good beam on high, pretty decent light output on low, and you'll never need to change the bulb. I'm a fan of these lights, and for the price (about US$36) - they're a good value.
The TwinTask 1L is a neat little light, but a bit big (head size) for really comfortable pocket carry.

For those looking for a pocket carry light, I think the Nuwai Q3/QIII is a very good option. A 3-watt LED running off one CR123 battery. Size is very similar to a Surefire E1, although the fit and finish on any Surefire is better. I've not tested an incan vs. LED for seeing through smoke conditions, but the output on a QIII is pretty good for a pocket light of that size.
Dave

#43367 - 07/10/05 03:15 AM Re: Good small xenon flashlight?
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Another possibility is the Pelican M6.

All-metal body, a bit longer than a Surefire G2. Has HA2 (sted HA3) body anodizing, so it will show wear and nicks quicker than comparably-sized Surefire light. However, it's still sturdy - just dropped one of mine off a porch railing onto concrete driveway about 12 feet or so below. Got small nicks on it, but the lamp lit right up again. Pelican also has a very good returns policy for their lights.

About the same price as the G2, especially with some of the vendors on CPF.
Throws (I'm told) a bit farther than the G2. Lamp assemblies are about $7 each vs. the Surefire assembly prices.

Also has the option of making the tail a clickie instead of press for momentary on, twist for constant on. CPF vendor flashlightlens.com sells the mechanism, which apparently takes a bit of elbow grease to install (I bought my Pelicans used, with the clickies already installed).

I think the Pelican's a good-value light, very much a contender to the Surefire G2.

Dave

#43368 - 07/10/05 07:20 AM Re: Good small xenon flashlight?
Anonymous
Unregistered

John:

Just get some 600 grit wet/dry paper and round it off as much as you want. Go to a gun store and get some cold blue.black if don't like the raw aluminum edges showing.

#43369 - 07/10/05 07:38 AM Re: Good small xenon flashlight?
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Yah, I suggested the mud/dirt over sandpaper just to lessen the chance of removing more anodizing than desired. Personally, I don't mind the knurling of the E2e and certainly due to "normal" use, the kurling on my heavily used lights has already "mellowed", and the lights have gained "character"! :-)

-john

#43370 - 07/10/05 12:16 PM Re: Good small xenon flashlight?
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Yes, the L1 is too focused on the low beam. I'm aware of beamshapers but don't know of a UK supplier. Also I'm having doubts about the whole package. It's not the smallest torch for what it does, and I can't really see me carrying it every day.

The light I really rely on at the moment is a Zipka+ headlamp. It's just so convenient to have something hands-free, and it gives more light than the L1 on low and more useful light too. That's what I use around a campsite or if I am at home during a powercut. I don't quite EDC it but I'd have it with me if I were far from home, eg on London tube. I'm very happy with it and can't see myself giving it up, whatever else I get.

The U2 looks great but frankly is getting a bit pricey. $250!

I guess I'm trying to think through what the roles of a really bright light actually are. For most uses I don't need a lot of light. I EDC a Photo Freedom and that's often enough. I'm not a policeman or anything. Although I'd like a light bright enough for search and rescue use over many hours, for that role it doesn't have to be a survival torch I carry everywhere. And in fact the L1 would probably do me in that role. (I prefer LEDs to incandescents, by the way, which probably means compromising somewhat).

I am wondering if when you do need a bright light in a survival situation, you maybe don't necessarily need it for very long. If you are in a smoke-filled room, you need to get out of the smoke pretty quick anyway.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 171 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
5 minutes 53 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.