#43196 - 07/08/05 07:21 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Thanks for the info.

#43197 - 07/08/05 07:52 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
FAK with any types of non prescription medications (even topical meds) may likely be frowned on at school. Many schools have a policy of allowing only the nurse to administer medications (even topical).

#43198 - 07/08/05 09:07 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I would consider a standard FAK for a child to include:

Nitrile gloves
2X2s
4x4s
Roller gaze (KLING or other)
Roll of surgical tape
Band-aids misc. sizes
Tri-angle bandage

Really nothing more then that, all the above should pass school muster. Can likely fit all in a zip lock bag or large zippered pencil keeper.

Pete

#43199 - 07/09/05 12:34 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
What about a whistle, space blanket, pad and pencil?

#43200 - 07/09/05 02:47 AM Re: SCBA
Anonymous
Unregistered

John, I looked for an SCBA back in the late 80's when I was working in a lab that dealt with hazmat materials, and they were in the $2000 to $2500 range back then.
I have no idea what they go for now.
The lab didn't buy one, just too expensive for such a limited use item.

#43201 - 07/09/05 03:12 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
In Montréal's subway, the end doors of each car are always unlocked although it's written that it's forbidden to use them. (but in an emergency I guess we would use them) There are also hand levers under some seats to manually open the side doors.

#43202 - 07/09/05 05:13 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
SCBAs can be a very useful tool in the right situation. However, they are very impractical for most situations, a SAR or Supplied Air Respirators (referred to as an SABA in a previous post) are even less practical.

While an SCBA works great for escape from a toxic environment, you have to have it with you for it to be useful. While a new top of the line model can weigh a mere 25lbs or so, this same model cost around $5000 (complete with face piece, and extra cylinder)… a bare bones model would cost and weigh less. Although older ones are available for sale used for cheap, many of these may require hundreds of dollars to make them safe and useable. I can remember the first SCBA I used on the job must have weight at least 50 pounds… these are the ones that are available cheap today.

If you were able to keep an SCBA with you, you have a limited amount of time to escape to safety. Depending on the volume and pressure of your SCBA’s cylinder, you can expect your air supply to last 30 – 60 minutes in ideal conditions at rest. Now, add stress and exertion to the scenario and you can cut that time in half or more. I can get my SCBA to last over an hour when at rest, however my low pressure alarm will ring out approximately after 35 minutes of work (at a house fire) in 110+ heat… and my pack will be the last to start alarming (the benefits of training for Ironman distance triathlons and having a high VO2 Max and hematocrit). An SAR can theoretically give you an unlimited supply of fresh air but you are tethered to either a breathing air compressor or to an external air supply that requires an attendant to keep flowing. SARs are impractical for most emergency operations, they work well for some confined space scenarios etc, but an escape bottle is required.

An APR (Air purifying respirator) would be a better choice. Commonly called a gas mask, these use specific filters to remove toxins from inhaled air. These are light, easy to use, and the cartridge filters can last for much longer than an SCBA’s air supply. The disadvantages of an APR is that they are useless in an oxygen deficient or super heated atmosphere. An APR also requires that you know the toxins you’ll be exposed to, there are general purpose filter sets, especially cartridges designed to protect the user against common chemical and biological weapons.

Now, there are some escape hoods available on the market, I am not familiar with any of these and can only assume that the popular ones work as advertised since they have been on the market for years.

My advice, be aware of where you are at all times, notice where you exits are, in an emergency… stay low, breath through your dry shirt, look for an exit sign (they should stay lit, some even have lighted indicators at floor level) or follow a wall and keep yelling that why someone can find you.

#43203 - 07/09/05 12:44 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hate prebuilt kits, but I think the one for kids tha Major's has seems about right for k-8? I think (HOPE!) most high school students can be trusted with a little more, but not much. Schools are poor.

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Mer...Category_Code=9

I'd add a poncho, and a dust mask, but that would be it for something that is going to mass stored for students. Distribution is the only glitch I can think of.

#43204 - 07/09/05 04:54 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
No offense intended, Pete, but...

A scared kid probably wouldn't use any of those things except maybe some bandaids and possibly the triangular bandage if they had been trained how to use it with a magazine or something as a sling.

A few of those large bandaids (about 2"x5") along with the small ones is all I think they would be likely to use.

But if your kids are unfortunate enough to have to go to public school, you'd better talk to the school first. Their idiocy knows no bounds.

Sue

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 394 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.