The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#43185 - 07/08/05 04:46 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
The evac-u-8 smoke hood is small and portable. It is a series of filters and also filters out CO (carbon monoxide) which is the most lethal component of the smoke.

I have one for each family member and I carry them with us whenever we go travelling. We have had no problems bringing them onto planes / ships etc.

All this makes me wonder if I should be carrying that around with me all the time.....

#43186 - 07/08/05 04:49 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I would have figured that in a power failure, the doors would be able to be pushed open, just as a fire safety measure."

They probably figured that the electric rail would be more of a likely danger than a fire.

There was a post here about Montreal's (?) subway, and several people mentioned that the side windows are almost impossible to break through, but the rear windows can be.

Sue

#43187 - 07/08/05 05:02 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
We don't have subways here, but the city busses typically have side windows that can open in an emergency. I kind of wonder if those subways are similar, but people couldn't see how to open them in the dark and smoke.

Note, I recall something like this regarding "real" trains here in the US. Something about the glass being bulletproof and some accident where people couldn't find the emergency latches and as a result were trapped inside. I recall as a result they had overhauled the regulations to make sure things could be seen easier. Wish I could remember the details.

-john

Edit:

I think I found the reference. RAR-97/02 , Collision and Derailment of Maryland Rail Commuter MARC Train 286 and National Railroad Passenger Corporation AMTRAK Train 29 Near Silver Spring, MD February 16, 1996.

Specifically, starting at p58, Passenger Car Safety Standards.

Edited by JohnN (07/08/05 05:24 AM)

#43188 - 07/08/05 07:04 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have to operate under the premise that it is better to know than to not know. I am glad to know, for example that is not the Basques or some new resurgence of the Red Army -- both of whom have operated extensively in London.

#43189 - 07/08/05 07:59 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

don't know about the british trains, but all public transport systeem in my country have as far as i know emergency manual operation levers for the doors, so you can push the doors out by hand.

#43190 - 07/08/05 01:11 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've read several comments about people leaving the tunnels walking past people not knowing if they were alive or not. Even seeing some of them (possibly) moving and still walking right on past. This really bothered me. If you're alive and able to walk out do you just leave or do you see if you can help somebody out with you?
It also brought to the front the need to carry a whistle with me. If I'm injured I really don't want somebody to be able to say "I thought he was dead" the incessant whistling should give me away as someone who is still alive.
Very saddened by the incidents, hopes and prayers with those injured, and the families of those killed.

#43191 - 07/08/05 03:00 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
Yeah, me. And I am trying to figure out how to get the kids to carry a bandanna now. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do or how to prepare my 8 and 6 yr olds for the school bus trips? They are on it for about 45 minutes on the way to school. With all the new laws everything I don't want to get a call from the police about my kids having contraband.

#43192 - 07/08/05 03:06 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I know we have touched on the value of these respirators before. While yes, they will filter smoke/toxic gases etc., and are likely useful in many fire/smoky conditions, please keep in mind they do not supply a source of breathable air containing O2.

If the gas/smoke displaces the O2 containing breathing air, these respirators will not be of much help. In situations where breathable air is displaced by the gas/smoke, only Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) or Supplied Air Breathing Apparatus (SABA) will be of benefit. In most conventional firs,e smoke rises, so the old adage of staying low and crawling is vital. Both super heated air/gases and smoke will be in the higher zones of a room/corridor, so stay low, even with these escape masks/filters.

Pete

#43193 - 07/08/05 03:37 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Good points regarding filters and such. Probably good to break it down into three catagories, in increasing benefit:

1) filter only (hanky, dust mask).
2) something that handles carbon monoxide (EVACU8, EVAC+)
3) SCBA.

A SCBA would obviously be best, but AFAIK, these are all expensive and rather bulky. Certainly I'd be interested in knowing more about the SCBA options.

-john

#43194 - 07/08/05 06:42 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I am sure there are many things that are school safe, but here is a quick list of what I could think of quickly.

First and foremost: guidance/instruction on what to do in an emergency, go over several possible scenarios.

A list of contacts with home/business and cell phone numbers and several dollars in small denomination change to make calls.

A whistle, small LED flashlight, pencil and paper, foil package drink and snack, some string/550 cord

A family and pet photo(s) and if of a particular religious persuasion – a short prayer.

A small First Aid Kit and some basic instruction on how to use the items.

If they wear glasses, an extra pair even if it is their old prescription, as most of time they would be better then nothing.

Pete

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 298 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
36 minutes 16 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.